PDA

View Full Version : hello all!! I need your help choosing a new puppy!!!

Heather78418
02-04-2007, 05:46 PM
I want to get a puppy for the family. I have had four dogs before but that was before kids and cats . I need a breed who will get along with my two cats but also my three children. My kids are ages 5 , 7 , and 9 . So it would have to be fairly tolerant of noise and such. I have a large backyard so exercise isn't an issue. I would prefer a breed tht I can keep indoors as well as out , but also one that takes to training easily. PLEASE help me ... any suggestions useful. Sorry I am not used to this side I am always on the cat side.

Thank You,
Heather

DrKym
02-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Dobermann.

Smart, gentle with kids, happy on couch, happy running after 9 million balls, love to learn, tolerant of small hands being in the wrong spots at times.
Love other animals, pleasant disposition and not extremly destructive as puppies.

drawbacks?

There are some medical issues that affect the dobies.

Major plusses?
Everything else about them!

attached is a pic of one of our Rescue dobes with my son.

wolfsoul
02-04-2007, 06:07 PM
There are definatly many breeds that suit your situation. Golden retriever is one obvious one! :) There are some other questions you should ask yourself, however:

~How much shedding can you handle?
~Do you mind a dog that you have to brush every day? A dog that needs professional clipping?
~Is barking an issue?
~Do you want a good watch dog, guard dog, both, or neither?
~Do you want a dog that is obedient offleash? One that will readily follow all of your commands (sit, down, stay etc)? Or are you okay with having a dog you know you can't ever let offleash (for it may take off), and may not be very eager to listen to all your commands?
~Are you looking for a breed you can compete with (showing, agility, obedience, etc)? Or just a family pet?
~Do you want a dog that is known for being outgoing and social, shy or timid, or watchful/reserved with strangers?
~Are you afraid to go for a breed that is plagued with health problems (most are these days, but some are healthier than others)?
~Some breeds have a tendency to drool, roll in dead things, counter-surf, get into the garbage, steal things off tables, etc. Are you willing to put forth the training to avoid all that, or would you prefer a breed that is physically unable to do these things or is generally more unlikely to do these things?
~Do you mind a dog that gets seperation anxiety?

There are so many things you need to consider. :) Answer these, and I bet we can give you a better outlook on your choices!

animal_rescue
02-04-2007, 06:17 PM
I second the doberman! They are one of the greatest breeds around.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid191/p9a354400cd66704d39355bd24045be37/f1d4d2e0.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid191/p3a1e8b67b43fa029681f6e66cefd59b4/f1d4d2b4.jpg

Flatcoatluver
02-04-2007, 06:18 PM
The best solution. www.petfinder.org . Adopting a dog is the best thing you could ever do for a dog. Some are already trained. And most are tested around children and cats.

DrKym
02-04-2007, 06:32 PM
I second the doberman! They are one of the greatest breeds around.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid191/p9a354400cd66704d39355bd24045be37/f1d4d2e0.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid191/p3a1e8b67b43fa029681f6e66cefd59b4/f1d4d2b4.jpg

hehe knew if I said it I would get a treat of more Maggie pics!!

Wolfsoul brought up some great points, but it sounds as if you are already an experienced dog owner. Just not with having kids around. I do urge you to adopt a dog, whether a pup or a young adult or adult.

With kids at that age span, I would reccommend a young adult , less hassles to an already busy schedule with potty breaking, etc.

The dog will also be happy to have another family to love! ;)

Freedom
02-04-2007, 07:24 PM
If you are looking at a rescue dog, for those in foster homes, you get a great idea of their personality before you adopt them. When I was looking, I needed to be sure the dog got along with cats as I had 7 already. Many of the foster homes have a cat or more. If they tell you "OK with children 4 and up," then it just means they have a child that age in the foster home.

Not to say a shelter dog shouldn't be considered. Depends on the shelter how much they can tell you about the dog. And on how confident you are with dogs.

Sometimes your vet will also know of available dogs. Those will also have a known history to them. Elderly who have to give up a pet to move in to senior housing, things like that. Good luck!

mike001
02-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Having raised Shepherds with 5 children, I would have to say the German Shepherd. Lots of shedding, but easy to train, willingness to please, love kids, don't mind noise. I guess we're all a bit prejudiced but I think there are many good breeds out there. Just do some research and find a good breeder...ask for references though.

Ceph
02-05-2007, 07:03 AM
I'd say petfinder.com...Its how I found my Dad's Jay (shep-husky-other). Also the rescues that grace petsmart and petco on the weekends are good...I also found my mother's DeeDee (aussie-beagle) there. Jay was a puppy and is always excited and a little rambuncious, DeeDee is older and calm all the time, but cant play for so long. You can find all types there.

This picture is my little (well...not so little anymore) brother and Jay....Matt used to be deathly afraid of dogs...now not so more and Jay's pretty big (and still younger than a year). If you find the right rescue, they will love you forever. :)