PDA

View Full Version : kennel cough-did you know ?

rotman
03-30-2001, 05:29 PM
i may be passing along info here that is old news to some but we just found out the hard way that a dog can be a carrier of kennel cough EVEN if it has been vacinated for it and dosnt actually have it.we brought jack home from the shelter(6mo rott)last week and all of a sudden low and behold coya(1 1/2 rott) has kennel cough now.vet says its not life threatening but now she is on antibiotics and cough med.jack on the other hand is just peachy.lol just a little FYI.

tatsxxx11
03-30-2001, 05:55 PM
I help out at my friend's kennel, and sadly, not many clients are aware of this sad fact until they call up surprised and distressed that their boarder has been diagnosed with kennel cough. Being vaccinated is not an assurance that the dog cannot be a carrier, nor that a dog is totally immune from contracting the disease. Unfortunately, new and more potent strains are continually being developed. Still, it is an important preventative aid. Hope Coya is well on the road to recovery!! Hugs to her please!

Angels3
03-30-2001, 06:20 PM
You sure weren't passing on old news to me. I didn't know that dogs can be carriers of kennel cough despite being vaccinated. Thanks for passing on this information.

rotman
03-30-2001, 06:39 PM
dennis,
im glad to hear that you are aware of this in your position.the thing that kinda urked me was that the HS where we adopted jack was just as suprised as we where of this situation and its their vet that i took coya to. ya know i guess the question that i havnt gotten around to asking is if jack is a carrier of the virus i guess you would call it,then what do we do to eliminate it from his system?if he is a carrier ,wont he continue to pass it on ?

RachelJ
03-31-2001, 09:21 AM
I wonder if the "carrier" aspect could be on the feet or coat of the dog.

Rottie
04-01-2001, 03:29 PM
Wow! I didn't now that. Thanks for letting us know!

Rottie

carrie
04-02-2001, 05:22 PM
Kennel Cough is a respiratory infection and is passed in bodily fluids from dog to dog - vaccinated dogs have the antibodies to keep the infection at bay and have no symptoms but it is alive in their bodies if they have been exposed to it. There are many strains so vaccination may not cover your dog. A vaccinated dog that has been exposed may carry the infection and lick, snuffle or even normally greet or play with other dogs and so pass it on.