PDA

View Full Version : want a yellow lab

daisybee
02-03-2007, 06:06 PM
can anybody tell me if labs shed a lot.
I know they tend to be crazy, and I've had
lab mixes. They didn't seem to shed too badly
so anybody that can tell me more please do :)

borzoimom
02-03-2007, 06:08 PM
any moderate length haired dog does shed. My dobes as much as my shepherds sometimes. The diet is the key- but yes- they shed... Unless you get a poodle- you will have hair if you have a dog... And most medium length hair dogs shed more than a long hair that is growing...

Suki Wingy
02-03-2007, 06:09 PM
yes, labs shed a lot, and they can be a bit unstable temperament wise (as any breed) if bred/raised at an unscruptulous "breeder" (pet shops, online puppy seller websites, etc.)

mike001
02-03-2007, 06:21 PM
I have to agree, labs have been overly bred by some unscrupulous breeders for the sake of $$$$$. Do your homework before purchasing. And yes they do shed quite a bit, what's a bit of hair between friends though..lol..Don't forget they are high energy dogs that need a lot of exercise too. :)

borzoimom
02-03-2007, 06:23 PM
I have to agree, labs have been overly bred by some unscrupulous breeders for the sake of $$$$$. Do your homework before purchasing. And yes they do shed quite a bit, what's a bit of hair between friends though..lol..Don't forget they are high energy dogs that need a lot of exercise too. :)
I agree- and a job to do..

IrishSetterGurl
02-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Labs do shed alot,but you can only tell if you have dark funture.
Labs are very friendly dogs,very intelligent,brave,loyal,depentable,and beautiful! :)
They are working dogs and do need alot of exsercise.
They should be walk once a day and love alot of space to run! :)

Kfamr
02-03-2007, 07:18 PM
I have a Lab mix and she sheds insanely. My neighbor had a full-bred Lab and she sheds even more insanely.

Just do your research. Labs can be great dogs but tend to fall into the wrong hands. Too many allow them to get fat when they are really high energy dogs. Adopt/rescue or do extensive research for a good breeder.

luvofallhorses
02-03-2007, 07:21 PM
I have a Lab mix and she sheds insanely. My neighbor had a full-bred Lab and she sheds even more insanely.

Just do your research. Labs can be great dogs but tend to fall into the wrong hands. Too many allow them to get fat when they are really high energy dogs. Adopt/rescue or do extensive research for a good breeder.

Yeah, I have two lab mixes and they shed like crazy.

and I agree with Kay, do your research. labs aren't for anyone.. they have lots of energy and they are really great dogs! :D I just don't agree with whoever said that you only can tell how much they shed only if you have dark furniture and they need walked more than once a day. ;)

*LabLoverKEB*
02-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Yes! I have 2 Labs, a yellow, and black, both females. The yellow one sheds a lot more than the black, I think...

tikeyas_mom
02-03-2007, 10:51 PM
I have a lab, and yes she sheds ALOT.. like tumbleweeds of husky/lab hair all over the place.. :p

.sarah
02-03-2007, 11:33 PM
I have three Labs, and they all shed like crazy. You have to vacuum every day or it will be everywhere very fast. I can vacuum one day and two days later there will be tumbleweeds all along the halls.

This sums up a Lab's shedding habits very well:
http://kelrobin.com/images/lab-shedding.jpg

Labs are not "crazy" if they are purchased from a good breeder. A Lab's temperment is the hallmark of the breed - they are gentle, loving, but active family dogs who should not show aggression towards anyone. A good breeder will take this to heart and alter a dog who does not fit this standard.

If you'd like, I can point you in the direction of a rescue or a reputable breeder, or a breed club who can give you a list of reputable breeders near you.

Yes! I have 2 Labs, a yellow, and black, both females. The yellow one sheds a lot more than the black, I think...
I know you didn't mean to, but this makes it sound like yellows shed more than blacks, which is untrue. The color of the Lab has nothing to do with how much it sheds - it depends on genetics. It seems like Buck sheds the most out of all of our dogs, but Nova, Luka, and Mandy's fur shows up much better because we have dark carpets and a dark red couch. But it's Buck's hairs that make up most of the tumbleweeds along our halls.

luvofallhorses
02-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Labs are not "crazy" if they are purchased from a good breeder. A Lab's temperment is the hallmark of the breed - they are gentle, loving, but active family dogs who should not show aggression towards anyone. A good breeder will take this to heart and alter a dog who does not fit this standard.

I agree. they are great dogs and I don't think their temperment is "unstable" at all. :)

Lori Jordan
02-04-2007, 08:29 AM
My neighbot has a yellow lab Max,He does shed alot ,But you could not ask for a nicer dog,There great with everybody!I love black Labs there my fav,There are so many breeders for these dogs,But the Shelter is always full of them for some reason.

*LabLoverKEB*
02-04-2007, 09:46 AM
I know you didn't mean to, but this makes it sound like yellows shed more than blacks, which is untrue. The color of the Lab has nothing to do with how much it sheds - it depends on genetics. It seems like Buck sheds the most out of all of our dogs, but Nova, Luka, and Mandy's fur shows up much better because we have dark carpets and a dark red couch. But it's Buck's hairs that make up most of the tumbleweeds along our halls.[/QUOTE]

You are right- I'm sorry! :o It just seems like Rita sheds more, because her fur shows up a lot better than Sadie's does.

dukedogsmom
02-04-2007, 09:56 AM
I didn't realise they were high energy dogs. No wonder Dasher has been so frustrated. Labs are a great breed. They've been my favorite for a long time.

theterrierman
02-04-2007, 03:46 PM
My neighbours have a UKC yellow lab, and every fall and spring, look out! If you stand downwind from that dog in late october, you'd swear you just bear hugged a Malamute. TONS of hair during the shedding season, and it does shed moderately year-round. By contrast, my other neighbours have a lab MIX, and it sheds moderately twice a year.

xcolbi
02-04-2007, 03:50 PM
I've got a Lab/Border Collie mix who sheds like crazy! I find hairs everywhere, even in my food :p

I've got a friend though who has a purebred Lab. I think that's the most I've seen ANY dog shed! It was crazy. I was petting her back and my hand was coated in hairs. ;)

cyber-sibes
02-04-2007, 03:54 PM
I hear they shed more than huskies do...Now that's saying something!
All the lab/lab mixes I see at the dogpark seem like very loving dogs. A trainer I went to did say that they have a very long "puppyhood". I'm sure lab owners here will fill you in!

luvofallhorses
02-04-2007, 04:13 PM
I hear they shed more than huskies do...Now that's saying something!
All the lab/lab mixes I see at the dogpark seem like very loving dogs. A trainer I went to did say that they have a very long "puppyhood". I'm sure lab owners here will fill you in!

I do think huskies shed more than labs. I have met a few that have came through the shelter where I volunteer and they would shed like crazy. I love their coats and the breed of course. :D Huskies are awesome, just not for me. :)