PDA

View Full Version : Litter disposal???

Freedom
02-03-2007, 07:32 AM
When you are ready to scoop your litter boxes, what do you do with it?

I want to change what I have been doing and can't seem to find another method.

Right now I use a plastic grocery bag, scoop all the boxes into that, and put it in the household trash.

The problem is, the plastic bag on its own doesn't go in household trash, it goes in the recycling bucket. So I am adding to the landfill here with something that they really don't want in the landfill. I am trying to do something "green," more eco-friendly. I thought about getting paper bags at the grocery instead of plastic, but I think that would be very messy for scooping and the bag would be way to large. I would be getting fewer bags because the paper holds lots more groceries, and I am barely getting enough grocery bags as it is. (Also, I want to get away from the whole grocery bag thing and take my own cloth bags.)

Any suggestions?

Laura's Babies
02-03-2007, 07:46 AM
I scoop into those plastic grocery bags and take them to the dumpster.... don't know what else to do with it.... :confused:

Pam
02-03-2007, 08:02 AM
I have a small trashcan near the litterbox and I, too, line it with the plastic grocery bags. Each day I scoop into that bag and then put it outside in my big trash can. I have often thought there must be a better way too because the plastic won't break down and I am contributing to the landfill problem. I would love to hear other ideas too.

sprokett
02-03-2007, 08:44 AM
i take it and put it in the general waste skip what else can you do with it there is nothing else to do with it

sirrahbed
02-03-2007, 08:47 AM
How about paper lunch bags?

I also use the plastic grocery bags and put them out in the dumpster. The lunch bag is kind of small though ;)

kuhio98
02-03-2007, 08:58 AM
I guess it depends on what kind of litter you use. We use Feline Pine and clay litter. We flush the "solids" down the toilet. When it's time to change all the litter, we take it to the landfill. Feline Pine is wood and will break down to sawdust when wet. Clay litter will eventually dissolve.

critters
02-03-2007, 10:20 AM
We use pine pellet horse bedding (like Feline Pine, but in 40 pounds sacks) then compost it when it's all sawdusty.

RedHedd
02-03-2007, 12:04 PM
I use the paper grocery bags and put it in with the trash.

Zippy
02-03-2007, 05:17 PM
I scoop it into the plastic grocery bags and tie it shut then throw in the trash.

catnapper
02-03-2007, 05:27 PM
I also use the plastic bags, but use empty cat food bags, cereal boxes, etc as often as possible. Its amazing what you can find to toss litter in when you put your mind to it.

Lizzie
02-03-2007, 06:19 PM
While I can reduce the waste by flushing solids from the Feline Pine and corn based litter I use, I have no choice but to double bag in plastic bags for the rest - it's required by my waste disposal company. I do need to look into buy plastic bags that break down eventually. I've thought of putting the sawdust from the Feline Pine at the bottom of the garden, but it does retain urine smells and it would attract problems.

catmandu
02-03-2007, 07:16 PM
I Take Mine By The Shopping Centre Where They Have The Big Trash Bags That Are Collected Twice A Day, As Its I Think Illegal To Throw Them In The Regular Trash Bins.
That Way They Arent There That Long.
They Would Be Too Heavy If I Tried To Throw Them Out Once A Week.

Catlady711
02-03-2007, 07:23 PM
I just put mine in either plastic bags, or use the cardboard litter containers the stuff came in to dispose of it.

While I can't say I know a whole lot about composting, since I've never done it myself, I have read several articles about not using animal waste, particularly feline, for compost. One article also mentioned not only the risk of parasites/pathologens but also chemicals from medications and flea products.

Here are several links on it.

http://www.amnh.org/nationalcenter/youngnaturalistawards/2005/Eric.html

This one is about a zoo that composts most waste, except for feline and primate waste because of health concerns.

http://www.cra-recycle.org/CCC/VTdepot_files/NCzoofiles/NC%20zoological%20park.htm

And here is an entire debate on composting cat waste and feline pine

http://www.holisticat.com/litter_arch1.html

slick
02-03-2007, 11:58 PM
I use scoopable Feline Fresh and all the pee biscuits and tootsie rolls are flushed down the toilet. When I completely change the litterbox (and with one cat it's only about once a month, if that) I put the litter in a double plastic bag. In my apt we have a garbage chute but I'm always afraid the bag will break on the way down so I carry it down to the bin.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
02-04-2007, 02:45 AM
Have you ever heard of the Litter Locker (http://www.petmate.com/Catalog.plx?ID=1600)? I really want to buy one, but I am currently using a flushable pea pod litter. :)

CultureJunky
02-04-2007, 06:14 AM
I just put it in carrier bags (grocery bags) and put it in the normal housewaste bin, I don't know what else to do with it.
We have seperate bins for garden waste and recycables.

Medusa
02-04-2007, 07:33 AM
It depends on where you shop and the kind of bags they use. Some of the so-called plastic bags aren't plastic at all, even though that's what they call them. They're actually paper that looks like plastic. Some toilet papers come wrapped in it. But if I can't get that then, unfortunately, I dispose of it in the plastic bags. What else to do?

Blessings,
Mary

Lori Jordan
02-04-2007, 08:10 AM
I scoop alot in a day i use a grocery bag,Then i take it outside and put it in a garbage bin behind the shed,I do not like the smell of litter,Then garbage day load it up and it is gone lol.

kimlovescats
02-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Well, like most everyone else here, I use the plastic Wal-Mart bags and take them right out to our garbage can outside.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Just had to post to say, I have the Petmate Litter Locker, and it is AMAZING!!! I love it.
I have 8 cats, and I scoop twice daily. The interior bag only needs taking out about once every two weeks. NO SMELL WHATSOEVER! I HIGHLY recommend this product. And I am a pretty tough sell on things :p
When I scrub the potty pans, and completely dump them I use plain old grocery bags. :D

cassiesmom
02-08-2007, 05:46 PM
I guess it depends on what kind of litter you use. We use Feline Pine and clay litter. We flush the "solids" down the toilet. When it's time to change all the litter, we take it to the landfill. Feline Pine is wood and will break down to sawdust when wet. Clay litter will eventually dissolve.

same here, when I hear paws in the box I grab the scoop - if she knows I'm waiting/hovering, for some reason she doesn't bury as much and I can flush her stools ... the used clay litter goes in a recycled plastic bag in the household trash