PDA

View Full Version : Purina Beneful - WARNING - Mold being found.

Kfamr
02-02-2007, 10:29 PM
http://www.doggybling.com/newsarticle.php?id=1070

Although it isn't a great food to begin with, someone posted this on another forum and I wanted to warn you all as well. This, of course, can happen with any type of food - human or pet food. Just be careful as it seems a few have found it common in Benerful.

The website/e-mails seem a bit off to me, however, I just wanted to post a warning anyways.

applesmom
02-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Geeze you'd think even the most inexperienced pet owners would have the sense not to feed their dogs food that's covered in mold! :eek:

GreyhoundGirl
02-03-2007, 07:47 AM
I'm going to PM this to xcolbi. :eek:

borzoimom
02-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Thank you for posting this- and I am NOT the least bit surprised in this finding at all.. :rolleyes:

xcolbi
02-03-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm going to PM this to xcolbi. :eek:

And thank God you did! :eek:

lute
02-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Yeesh! Unfortinatly I think Doobie, the boston terrier, is fed Beniful. I'll be sure to pass this on to his owners!

critters
02-03-2007, 10:14 AM
I suspect this is a hoax, although Snopes seems to be down at the moment. http://handicappedpets.com/news/beneful.html

lute
02-03-2007, 11:54 AM
I think it's ok if it's a hoax!LOL If people will get scared and switch their dog's diet there are that many dogs that don't have to eat Beneful! ;)

borzoimom
02-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Its made by a cereal company for God sake... lol..

GreyhoundGirl
02-03-2007, 02:22 PM
I think it's ok if it's a hoax!LOL If people will get scared and switch their dog's diet there are that many dogs that don't have to eat Beneful! ;)

shhhh! Hopefully xcolbi won't see that post. Maybe you should delete it ;) I've been trying to get her to put colbi on a better food ever sinse I met her.

Catlady711
02-03-2007, 08:46 PM
While personally if I had a dog I wouldn't feed Beneful (because of the dyes), however I do have a couple comments on that article in the first post.

1) As someone already stated, if the owner already noticed the food was moldy she shouldn't have fed it, and then contacted the manufacturer with the lot number. The fact she went ahead and fed it to her dogs when she had noticed something was wrong with it was inconcievable. If I notice meat is green or milk has clumps I certainly don't eat/drink it!

2) Any search of current recalls by the FDA (http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html) will produce a whole host of food/medicine recalls, whether human or animal related. If I were to stop buying/eating every single product that had ever had a recall I'd die of starvation or malnutrition. I think careful inspection of any food and proper storage and/or cooking is mandatory.

3) Whether you buy food at Wally's World or any other store, you should always check for expiration dates or other signs that the food has been there too long. Any store can have outdated items that haven't been caught yet.

4) We have to be careful with ANYTHING in the media now-a-days, as they can and do slant things towards whatever angle they think will cause the most attention and sell their story. Which is why I'll generally check the stories with reputable sites for further info.

JMHO

xcolbi
02-03-2007, 08:49 PM
shhhh! Hopefully xcolbi won't see that post. Maybe you should delete it ;) I've been trying to get her to put colbi on a better food ever sinse I met her.

Too late! :p

xcolbi
02-03-2007, 08:51 PM
I think it's a hoax too now. I told my parents about it and they said that dog food can't get moldy...or spoil like that. And then my Mom said that "there's no such thing as tan mold, it's either blue, white, or green" (or something like that)

If it's wrong please don't be upset :)

lute
02-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Dog food can get moldy. If your parents insist on feeding Beneful just make sure your bag is safe.

borzoimom
02-04-2007, 06:21 AM
Not only mold but the vitamin E used as a preservative can go rancid..

Kfamr
02-04-2007, 07:56 AM
ANYTHING can get moldy and there are MANY colors of mold. So yes, that information is incorrect.

Anyhow, Molds in dog foods have occured before and many dogs lives were taken from it (Anyone remember Diamond dog food recalls?) so I wanted to warn anyone who may feed that dog "food." Wether it's a hoax or not, I still wouldn't feed it. :p

Lady's Human
02-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Please don't post unsubstantiated rumors as warnings just because they happen to fit your POV. There are people on this website who might get an unneeded scare because of crap like that.

If you can't find confirmation, chances are it ain't so.

Kfamr
02-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Please don't post unsubstantiated rumors as warnings just because they happen to fit your POV. There are people on this website who might get an unneeded scare because of crap like that.

If you can't find confirmation, chances are it ain't so.

Excuse me? I do believe I have every right to post "unsubstantiated rumors" as warnings because I care. As I said in the original post, the website seems a bit off to me, however it's better to be warned than not at all. And, someone learned something out of this - they were told that dog food cannot mold. Which is incorrect, there are many types of mold that have been and can be found in dog food, of any quality. Which was also similarly stated in my original post.

borzoimom
02-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Here is a link I found on the mold. It also states Purinas response to this. http://www.handicappedpets.com/news/beneful.html . Take it for what its worth...
Lady human- no offense but considering that dogs eat only thing, twice a day, day after day- if there was any problem with the only thing they ate 365 days a year- I would rather know. Several foods have had recalls in the past- Nutro, Diamond, Natures Receipe etc. I would trust going back to a food if the company said " there was a problem with this batch number so-in-so " then ignoring IF there was a problem. It took several years before Iams and Eukenuba removed the ethoxyquin from their foods- and others followed suit just as an example. Vitamin E has also had recalls for rancid E.
I add ( for the total 4 large dogs) 1/2 cup total of Solid gold crushed in the food processor to the veggie, egg, and liver mixture. The only reason I do this is not to just soak up the egg- its actually so the dogs are use to this food if I had to feed it for a few days from power loss on this mountain. We all take our own precautions- and while this could be a hoax- considering this is the only form of nutrition someone feeds this dog- I would not take any chances.

Lady's Human
02-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Regardless of whether it's kibble, raw, or any type of food other than cheese, if it's got fuzzies growing on it it ain't safe.

Common sense please? If I open a bag of chips, and it's fuzzy, I'm not eating it. If I open a bag of Lady's dog food and it's fuzzy, I'm not feeding it to her.

It could have easily stated "Don't feed moldy dog food" and have been believable. As it is it looks like someone has an axe to grind against a food manufacturer.

borzoimom
02-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Regardless of whether it's kibble, raw, or any type of food other than cheese, if it's got fuzzies growing on it it ain't safe.

Common sense please? If I open a bag of chips, and it's fuzzy, I'm not eating it. If I open a bag of Lady's dog food and it's fuzzy, I'm not feeding it to her.

It could have easily stated "Don't feed moldy dog food" and have been believable. As it is it looks like someone has an axe to grind against a food manufacturer.
I agree- and I would report it..Even if it did end up being the ONE BAG produced that way.

xcolbi
02-04-2007, 03:38 PM
I agree- and I would report it..Even if it did end up being the ONE BAG produced that way.

I agree too. Looks like someone's got it out for Beneful or Purina...

borzoimom
02-04-2007, 03:50 PM
I agree too. Looks like someone's got it out for Beneful or Purina...
Keep in mind- I feel you could do better. Yes- other foods are more money- but you feed less... So its the same thing. If however- you dog is doing well on this with no health problems- then well I guess that is okay.
I just look at as this is their only source to support their bodies etc is what they eat.. If you want some suggestions- just pm me- ..