PDA

View Full Version : Donations to dog nothing to bark at

ramanth
06-25-2002, 09:50 AM
Sorry for spaming the list with stories... but I just had to add this last one... :)

By: CANDICE REED

For the North County Times

RAMONA ---- Roxanne Ullyot had always wanted to have a dog that she could train and bring to hospitals to use in pet therapy programs.

Already the owner of two older dogs, whom she felt weren't quite up to the task, she went searching for a new pet.

"I went to Rancho Coastal Humane Society and found this adorable puppy," the Ramona resident said last week. "Even though I noticed that his leg was deformed, I fell in love. I knew that he would be a wonderful inspiration to people who were sick."

Ullyot took the puppy home and named him Tripod because the pup's original diagnosis was that his leg would have to be amputated. Dr. Joshua Jackson of the Veterinary Specialty Hospital in Rancho Santa Fe decided that inserting pins into Tripod's leg could save it.

Although two surgeries would eventually save the leg, the costs were more than Ullyot could afford.

"I decided to see if I could do some fund-raising to pay for Tripod's surgeries," Ullyot said. "I really didn't know how to go about it until the folks at the Poway Petco helped me out."

The Petco Foundation gave Tripod a sizable donation and the store's staff encouraged Ullyot to set up a table outside the store.

"I love helping people with fund-raisers for their pets because I think everyone has a soft spot for animals," said Jenine Hoch, who was working for Petco during Tripod's medical tribulations. "Tripod is a beautiful dog and people responded in a wonderful way."

Friends and coworkers also reached into their wallets for Tripod. Ullyot also received emotional support from Jim Silviera, the director at Rancho Coastal Humane Society.

"We raised more than $4,000 for Tripod's medical bills," she said. "It's amazing how generous people have been."

Tripod will still have to go through therapy and possibly another surgery, but Ullyot is optimistic about her dog's goal in life.

"Once he is better I'll put him in obedience school and then train him to be a therapy dog," Ullyot said. "I think that people will be able to relate to him because of all that he's been through. He really is the perfect dog."

Corinna
06-25-2002, 09:57 AM
Are you trying to make this a crying day? I'm glad I don't have to work to day I'm a mess.

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-25-2002, 11:45 AM
Tha story brought tears to my eyes, Kimmy. But it really warmed my heart.

Thank for sharing.

jackiesdaisy1935
06-25-2002, 12:06 PM
Emmet from Carl's Community has set up a Daisy/Perry fund, but we are working really hard to make the owner of the house's insurance pay for all of our Vet bills, our kids and us have paid them to date, hoping the insurance if they pay, will leave an open book for future bills, that is if they pay. They are claiming the dogs are just property and want to pay maybe the cost of the dogs.

Anyway, this fund is supposed to be a revolving fund set up for people who need help with medical bills for their pups. If you look in one of the posts I think in Dog Health you can see the address of the Perry/Daisy fund. I'm not sure how it works. But you can inquire.

By the way this dog is in San Diego, in North County, we live in South County, but still a Neighbor.
Jackie, Daisy and Perry

ramanth
06-25-2002, 12:10 PM
The Daisy/Perry fund is a great thing and I donated. :)