PDA

View Full Version : Central Florida Storms/Tornados

beeniesmom
02-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Is everyone OK?
We had a tornado watch last night until 1 am but we just got heavy rain and wind. No damage.
Hope everyone is well.

lvpets2002
02-02-2007, 12:29 PM
:) Yes I was hearing about the bad weather in Florida.. I too hope Everyone & all are doing well/ok..

elizabethann
02-02-2007, 12:34 PM
My Mom is worried about my brother because she can't get ahold of him. She doesn't understand he lives about 50 miles from where it hit (she's elderly) and he's probably at work.

I just heard 14 people died. How awful.

Is it unusual to have a tornado in Florida BeeniesMom?

beeniesmom
02-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Is it unusual to have a tornado in Florida BeeniesMom?

Not really. We had one in Jacksonville last year (20 minutes south of where I live) and we are sometimes in tornado watch / warning during the hurricane season.

It's rare this time of year.

momoffuzzyfaces
02-02-2007, 12:38 PM
I pray everyone is ok too. At least 14 have been killed. Some buildings that were built to withstand 150 mph winds have been flattened.

So sad!!! :(

beeniesmom
02-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Does Terry (Daisy and Delailah) live close to there?
Hopefully they are ok.
If anyone has her number, please call and find out.

Logan
02-02-2007, 01:24 PM
I have listened on the radio since earlier this morning to this horrible news! The first town I heard listed was Lady Lake and that is where my father and mother in law live. Scott was able to reach them and they are ok. But I know this is a devastating thing for so many in the central Florida area. Please know that you are all in my prayers. I do hope that everyone will be safe.

Logan

Randi
02-02-2007, 01:53 PM
I just saw this on the news, how terrible! :( Hope you're all safe!

Where's delidog?

Daisy and Delilah
02-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks everybody for your concern. Most of the damage close to me was in Deland which is where I work and both of my kids live. Luckily, everyone came through okay. I have heard that the block next to the block where I work was completely destroyed. Parts of Deland are still trying to recover from the tornadoes that ripped through here on Christmas Day(a different part of Deland was hit this morning).

The roads are closed in some areas from what I hear and there are some areas that were completely flattened. My heart goes out to everyone. It's such a sad situation. I have PM'd Kari(KBlaix) to see if she's ok. I'm worried that she may be in one of the areas that was hit. I haven't heard from her as of yet.

How is everyone else in Florida? My brother is in Tampa and has emailed me to let me know that everytihng is ok over there.

Thanks for the PM's also. I really appreciate you guys :)

borzoimom
02-02-2007, 02:07 PM
I am so relieved you are okay- now we continue to wait..

.sarah
02-02-2007, 02:18 PM
We got tons of heavy rain last night. I enjoyed it a lot, even went shopping during it ;) (it's been dry here lately, though it did rain while I was out of town). We have tons of tornado warnings during hurricane season, it seems like a couple times a week at least ... but we haven't had a tornado here since I've lived here (16 years) as far as I know. I think there was one a couple counties over a few years ago, though.

I'm glad you're okay, Terry! I hope Kari checks in soon.

GreyhoundGirl
02-02-2007, 02:19 PM
My friend (who is watching me type this ) Is heading to florida tomorow. :p I'm laughing at her, you should have seen her face when she saw the title of this thread. :D

Hope everyones OK!

areias
02-02-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm here, everything was fairly normal last night. I hope kblaix is okay...has anyone heard from Kay? I don't think she's near where it hit, though. We get a lot of..funnel clouds and stuff, but not many destructive tornados.

Daisy and Delilah
02-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Glad everyone is ok, so far. How are you Kay? Please check in. Thanks :)

Any more Floridians out there?

cyber-sibes
02-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Keeping all of you in prayer, the reports on the news just keep getting worse. 19 now known to be dead. :(

.sarah
02-02-2007, 04:14 PM
19 now known to be dead. :(
Yeesh, I didn't know it was that bad until I watched the news a minute ago! :(

I saw a post from Kay early this morning, so I'd assume she's fine. :)

lvpets2002
02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
:eek: OMG I was watching CNN at lunch & it is so Horrible.. :( I could not beleive it & in January.. My Prayers are sent for everyone..

Flatcoatluver
02-02-2007, 04:30 PM
I saw this on our local news. How horrible! :( I hope everyone is safe.

gemini9961
02-02-2007, 04:51 PM
I live in Florida....I'm okay. We had a lot of rain last night with thunder and lightning.

Daisy and Delilah
02-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks for checking in Amber. :) Glad you're ok. Anybody heard from Val?

Pam
02-02-2007, 04:56 PM
I am frantic. A good friend of mine lives in The Villages which is about 5 minutes from Lady Lake. I also heard that The Villages was hit hard. I have tried and tried to call and can't get through. :(

GreyhoundGirl
02-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Keeping all of you in prayer, the reports on the news just keep getting worse. 19 now known to be dead. :(

:( :eek: I had no idea it was that bad!!!

Keeping everyone in prayers

mike001
02-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Gee, thanks for posting this, I don't think I know the location of Deland but my bro and his wife are in St. Pete for the winter mos. I think maybe our snow isn't too bad compared to this stuff. glad everyone from there are alright though. :)

Daisy and Delilah
02-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Deland is about 15-20 miles west of Daytona Beach.

Pam, alot of people are having trouble getting through on the phones. It's almost like it was during the hurricanes a few years ago. My daughter called me earlier on her cell phone and it took almost an hour to get through. I hope you can reach your friend soon but it may take awhile.

Kfamr
02-02-2007, 08:28 PM
We're fine here - we just had some VERY icky weather and a ton of wind. I swear, worse weather than we had last year ALL hurricane season! In January!? What the heck is wrong!

Worried about Kari, Justin, the baby, and zoo crew. :( Speaking of zoo crew, Libby is out that way somewhere and although she doesn't post anymore, hope she is okay too.

Daisy and Delilah
02-02-2007, 09:27 PM
I still haven't heard from Kari.

areias
02-03-2007, 12:23 AM
:( Maybe she spent a day off PT? I am sincerly hoping that is the case...prayers and good thoughts being sent her way, just in case.

My great aunt and uncle live in Volousia County...tornado hit 5 miles from them...they were in their bathroom at 3:30 this morning praying...I cannot imagine the terror.

I just read something on another forum...4 deaths in Lake City and lots of injuries? Does anyone know anything about this? It should have been well enough away...I have a good friend there that is not reachable by phone. Can't find anything on the news about it..

Pam
02-03-2007, 01:04 AM
I watched Larry King tonight and the head of the Homeowners Association of The Villages said that there had been no deaths there. I will hang onto this information until I can get through to my friend by phone.

Pam
02-03-2007, 09:53 AM
I still can't get through. :( A recording comes on her house phone which says "due to an emergency in the area your call cannot go through....." Her cell phone rings but it goes right to voice mail. Nevertheless it is good to hear her voice even though it was pre-recorded.

I'd love to hear from Kari too. How about Delidog. Is she near all of this?

Cincy'sMom
02-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Delidog is southeast of Orlando, on the coast, and from my understanding the tornadoes were north of Orlando. She should be clear of everything.

petslover
02-03-2007, 01:27 PM
I was checking to see how everyone in Florida was.. I sent Kari a myspace message and hadn't heard from her. I hope she and her family are okay.

Randi
02-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Delidog is in St. Lucie, not sure how far that is from the chaos. :confused:

momoffuzzyfaces
02-03-2007, 01:53 PM
There are lots of power outages so maybe some of them can't get to the Internet right now. I imagine the phones may be having lots of problems too with everyone trying to check on their friends and loved ones.
Prayers continuing for everyone!

Pam
02-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Hooray!!! My friend just called and she is fine!! She has power but no phone service and was finally able to use her cell. She said she was awakened by horrendous thunder and lightning around 3:00 in the morning and went to use the bathroom. While there she heard the "freight train" noise in the background. Thankfully it did not come plowing down her street. I am so relieved and hope that we will soon hear from Kari.

rosethecopycat
02-03-2007, 06:24 PM
wow, that was close for your friend, Pam.

I'm 1 hour south, in the same county. Nothing happened here.
I'm very thankful.

Daisy and Delilah
02-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Still nothing from Kari. I hope and pray she's okay. I went through Deland today to get to work, taking different routes to and from. All I can say is WOW!!! What a mess!! It was truly a disaster area. I was late getting to work due to all the detours but some of the roads had re-opened so I came right through one of the worst areas coming back. It's very very sad. Those areas still have no power so some Deland residents may not be able to get on a computer, Kari included.

Pam, I'm so glad you heard from your friend. That was very close for sure.

I'm still having trouble using my cell phone and many others are too. We had rain and thunderstorms most of the day and now it's pretty cold. It's going to take alot of time for things to return to normal, if that's even possible :( I will continue to keep the victims in my thoughts and prayers.

Kfamr
02-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Really worried about Kari. No updates on her website, Myspace, etc. :(

Giselle
02-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Oy vey. I saw the tornado damage in FL on yesterday's news and my mind immediately flipped to the Floridian PT'ers. I know we've got a lot of you guys down there. I hope the lack of updates is just from the power outage and nothing more serious than that :(

Daisy and Delilah
02-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Can anyone PM me with Kari's last name? I'll check the phone book for the #. It's a long shot but it might work. I've already checked what I thought it might be but I came up with nothing.

Edit: I found it in an old thread, checked the two books I have and I don't see it. :(

Kfamr
02-03-2007, 09:02 PM
They recently moved, so that could be a problem. I tried searching on a few websites with no luck. They must be unlisted.

Daisy and Delilah
02-03-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm thinking they're unlisted too, Kay. I even did a Google search and came up with nothing useful. Hopefully, we'll hear something soon.

Pam
02-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Those areas still have no power so some Deland residents may not be able to get on a computer, Kari included.

My friend has power but no phone, so she can't get on the computer because she has dial-up. Maybe that is Kari's problem too. Terry I am so glad you and your family are all well.

Daisy and Delilah
02-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks Pam. I have no idea as to how many places are without power but I saw today that they're working feverishly trying to get it restored. I also heard that they had to turn the power off in some areas for various reasons. I must have seen 100 power trucks in Deland today. Let's all hope and pray that Kari can check in soon.

smokey the elder
02-04-2007, 07:41 AM
I was in Orlando and woke up to see it on the news. What a terrible disaster!

Kfamr
02-04-2007, 08:03 AM
I had forgot where Joyce & Ginger were visiting down here in FL, but now I remember it was somewhere in the Orlando area. They came down from NJ on Wednesday.

We are supposed to be meeting up today at around 2-ish. Hopefully her and her family in that area are okay.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Thank you all for thinking of me. We just got our internet back a little while ago. My area is one of the areas that was hit, though my house thankfully was not damaged. One one of the tornadoes hit on my road about a half a mile from my house.

Justin and I woke up Friday morning at about 3:30 am and the storm was horrible. We lost our power at 4 am. Justin put a battery in his clock-radio and we sat listening for updates, but we really didn't know what was going on. All we knew was that our county was under a tornado warning. We had no idea that there were actually tornadoes touching down or how close they actually were to us.

We were without power until Saturday night at about 10 pm. We had a generator to run our well, our refrigerator, and a few lights though. Our road is closed and we have to show ID to get back to our house if we leave.

Again, thank you all for thinking about us.

Kfamr
02-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Wow, what a nightmare! I have to say I had a big sigh of relief when I saw I had a comment from out on Myspace in my e-mail.

Thank gosh.

Logan
02-04-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm so glad you are ok, Kari. I know this has been so frightening for so many of you.

Logan

cassiesmom
02-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, everyone, but doesn't Catmandu live in Florida too? Catmandu, if you're out there somewhere - how are you? Everyone else - thank you for checking in, I said a prayer and lit a candle for you all this morning at church.

k9krazee
02-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Glad you're okay, Kari!

rg_girlca
02-04-2007, 07:06 PM
No, Catmandu lives in Hamilton, Ontario.

I'm happy to read that everyone is safe.

Prayers go out to the families that have lost a loved one.

Daisy and Delilah
02-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I have just breathed a sigh of relief after hearing from you Kari. I know we all have :) Thanks again for the PM. I was worried sick about you guys :) I thought you might get power back by today since I didn't see nearly as many trucks today as I did yesterday. The people cleaning up and restoring power, etc., are doing a great job. On my way to and from work today, again, I'm amazed at what I'm seeing. It's hard to believe. :(

Dorothy39
02-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Breathing a sigh of Relief~ :o

That's all I wanted to see, a reply from KBlaix~

Thank-You , I feel better now~ :cool: