PDA

View Full Version : A Bit Grabby!!

critter crazy
02-02-2007, 06:45 AM
Rocky, as most of you know, had to be placed on meds for a infection, in his back legs, due to allergies. I have been putting the pills in cheese, and he gobbles it right up, no fuss. Now the problem is, how do I teach him to take it nicely, as he is very grabby most days! I swear I am going to loose a finger! I make sure he sits first, and tell him "take it Nice" some days he does, and others, he just is Grabby. I just want him better, cause if someone else feeds him something from their hand i dont want any probs.

borzoimom
02-02-2007, 07:08 AM
Being a little grabby is a common problem with a really good treat. Keep up with the " take it easy" but shorten it- and draw it out slow and calm.. Like " eeeeeeassssy...."..If you trust him not to get upset at having something momentarily with held from him- if he doesnt heed it- make a fist cupping it in your hand and roll your hand over. As he slows his head like ' where it go mom" slowly open your hand back up.. He will quickly learn- ' if I come in too fast- it will disappear...'...
We have to do this with Zubin and Femka once in a while. Femkas problem is she doesnt want another dog to get her cookie. We also say the names to give treats- so each dog knows who it is for. But she- she will try to grab it- I cup it back into my hand- say eaaaasssssssy and try again- Usually about once a month with her I have to do this.
Also when you set the treat up- keep your voice calm.. Instead of " YOU WANT YOUR TREAT?????? TIME FOR YOUR MEDICINE- YOU WANT SOME CHEESE..." etc.. Just get up- get the treat and talk softly so as not to raise the anxiety levels of ' am I really going to get something' etc...

kittycats_delight
02-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Not sure what to tell you about the grabby habit as I have never had a grabby dog but I do want to suggest that you not use cheese. All dairy products reduce the effectiveness of the meds. I was told this my my vet when I was trying to pill our dog shadow and I told him that he will not take it unless I wrap it in cheese. The vet said No don't use cheese. Try putting the med inside a piece of weiner or ham or another type of meat. Anything with dairy will take away the effectiveness of the med.

borzoimom
02-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Well not all medications have a problem with dairy products- check with your vet if you have doubts.

Freedom
02-02-2007, 07:20 AM
That is interesting about the dairy. I wonder if it depends on the type of med? The local pharmacist could answer that one. I use peanut butter to get the dog to take her pills. She can't be grabby, it is too gooey!

kittycats_delight
02-02-2007, 07:21 AM
Well not all medications have a problem with dairy products- check with your vet if you have doubts.

I am assuming it is an antibiotic he is on. And the vet said it was an issue with antibiotics. I should have added that. Give your vet a call and see if this is the case. Better to find out now so that the meds are working at full. If it doesn't effect Rocky's meds then better for Rocky. :)

borzoimom
02-02-2007, 07:24 AM
That's true- good point.. I just assumed she could use cheese. Some antibiotitcs are fine with cheese- some are not..My vet usually tells us when he/she dispenses the drugs- even a label on the container as well.

mr.chiwawa
02-02-2007, 07:36 AM
Mister is too smart I cant use cheese Or peanut butter so my vet told me about pill pockets you can get them at Petco or petsmart and they dont interfer with ANY type of med. At least thats what the vet tech told me..They work for me and my sneaky dog that likes the spit out thr pill and just eat the treat.
I inculed the link below.....Hope that helps somewhat.As with Mister if he is grabby he doesnt get it until he can sit still and act like a gentlemen. ;)

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=2767&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=pill+pockets&sku=991040&familyID=13556&

critter crazy
02-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Not sure what to tell you about the grabby habit as I have never had a grabby dog but I do want to suggest that you not use cheese. All dairy products reduce the effectiveness of the meds. I was told this my my vet when I was trying to pill our dog shadow and I told him that he will not take it unless I wrap it in cheese. The vet said No don't use cheese. Try putting the med inside a piece of weiner or ham or another type of meat. Anything with dairy will take away the effectiveness of the med.
I cant imagine there is a problem, since the vet reccomended giving it with cheese. but thanks for the heads up.:)

critter crazy
02-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Being a little grabby is a common problem with a really good treat. Keep up with the " take it easy" but shorten it- and draw it out slow and calm.. Like " eeeeeeassssy...."..If you trust him not to get upset at having something momentarily with held from him- if he doesnt heed it- make a fist cupping it in your hand and roll your hand over. As he slows his head like ' where it go mom" slowly open your hand back up.. He will quickly learn- ' if I come in too fast- it will disappear...'...
We have to do this with Zubin and Femka once in a while. Femkas problem is she doesnt want another dog to get her cookie. We also say the names to give treats- so each dog knows who it is for. But she- she will try to grab it- I cup it back into my hand- say eaaaasssssssy and try again- Usually about once a month with her I have to do this.
Also when you set the treat up- keep your voice calm.. Instead of " YOU WANT YOUR TREAT?????? TIME FOR YOUR MEDICINE- YOU WANT SOME CHEESE..." etc.. Just get up- get the treat and talk softly so as not to raise the anxiety levels of ' am I really going to get something' etc...
Phewww....I am doing it right then!! I will hold the cheese inside my hand so he can only get to a little at a time, and has to be nice about it. I guess I just need to work more, with it. this is how I taught duke, and he does great with taking things nice.

borzoimom
02-02-2007, 08:25 AM
I cant imagine there is a problem, since the vet reccomended giving it with cheese. but thanks for the heads up.:)
My vets always told me if there was a dietary problem- and did so knowing I fed raw as well.. And even previous to that as well.
I only had one medicaiton that was dairy problematic- and forgot which one it was, but it was so long ago... lol.

Kfamr
02-02-2007, 08:56 PM
I always teach this by holding a treat in a closed fist. I extend my arm towards the dog, if they get too excited and reach for it fast I say "NICE" and retract my hand. Repeat, and they end up learning to be gentle with treat taking in no time.