PDA

View Full Version : Cartoons = Terrorisim?

DJFyrewolf36
01-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Suspicious devices part of marketing plan
Promotion of ‘Aqua Teen Hunger Force’ cartoon closes Boston bridges
The Associated Press
Updated: 5:26 p.m. PT Jan 31, 2007

function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false :true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633058899905270000');
BOSTON - More than 10 blinking electronic devices planted at bridges and other spots in Boston threw a scare into the city Wednesday in what turned out to be a publicity campaign for a late-night cable cartoon. Most if not all of the devices depict a character giving the finger.

Boston police said Wednesday night one person had been arrested in connection with the hoax, and authorities scheduled a 9 p.m. news conference to provide more details.

Highways, bridges and a section of the Charles River were shut down and bomb squads were sent in before authorities declared the devices were harmless.

"It's a hoax — and it's not funny," said Gov. Deval Patrick, who said he'll speak to the state's attorney general "about what recourse we may have."

Turner Broadcasting, a division of Time Warner Inc. and parent of Cartoon Network, said the devices were part of a promotion for the TV show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force," a surreal series about a talking milkshake, a box of fries and a meatball.

"The packages in question are magnetic lights that pose no danger," Turner said in a statement, issued a few hours after reports of the first devices came in.

It said the devices have been in place for two to three weeks in 10 cities: Boston; New York; Los Angeles; Chicago; Atlanta; Seattle; Portland, Ore.; Austin, Texas; San Francisco; and Philadelphia.

"We regret that they were mistakenly thought to pose any danger," the company said. As soon as the company realized the problem, it said, law enforcement officials were told of their locations in all 10 cities.

The marketing firm that put them up has been ordered to remove them immediately, said Phil Kent, Turner chairman.

"We apologize to the citizens of Boston that part of a marketing campaign was mistaken for a public danger," Kent said. "We appreciate the gravity of this situation and, like any responsible company would, are putting all necessary resources toward understanding the facts surrounding it as quickly as possible."

Interference Inc. had no immediate comment. A woman who answered the phone at the New York-based firm's offices Wednesday afternoon said the firm's CEO was out of town and would not be able to comment until Thursday.

There were no reports from police Wednesday of residents in the other nine cities spotting similar devices.

Austin police spokeswoman Toni Chovanetz said the marketing company told the department about the devices Wednesday afternoon and was working with the city to remove them. She did not know where the devices were placed and said no one had contacted police about seeing one.

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino said he'll seek to punish those responsible, and indicated that the penalty could be two to five years in prison per count.

After Turner made its announcement, Menino said he was "prepared to take any and all legal action" against the company and its affiliates "for any and all expenses incurred during the response to today's incidents."

"That would include any criminal or civil action," Menino spokeswoman Meaghan Maher later clarified. Boston Police would not comment on any potential charges.

Homeland Security Department spokesman Russ Knocke praised Boston authorities for sharing their knowledge quickly with Washington officials and the public.

"Hoaxes are a tremendous burden on local law enforcement and counter-terrorism resources and there's absolutely no place for them in a post-9/11 world," Knocke said.

Authorities said some of the objects looked like circuit boards or had wires hanging from them.

Subway station, highway shut down
The first device was found at a subway and bus station underneath Interstate 93, forcing the shutdown of the station and the highway.

Later, police said four calls, all around 1 p.m., reported devices at the Boston University Bridge and the Longfellow Bridge, both of which span the Charles River, at a Boston street corner and at the Tufts-New England Medical Center.

The package near the Boston University bridge was found attached to a structure beneath the span, authorities said.

Subway service across the Longfellow Bridge between Boston and Cambridge was briefly suspended, and Storrow Drive was closed as well. A similar device was found Wednesday evening just north of Fenway Park, police spokesman Eddy Chrispin said.

Wanda Higgins, a 47-year-old Weymouth resident and a nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital, heard about the threat as she watched television news coverage while preparing to leave work at 4 p.m.

"I saw the bomb squad guys carrying a paper bag with their bare hands," Higgins said. "I knew it couldn't be too serious."

Messages seeking additional comment from the Atlanta-based Cartoon Network were left with several publicists.

"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" is a cartoon with a cultish following that airs as part of the Adult Swim late-night block of programs for adults on the Cartoon Network. A feature length film based on the show is slated for release March 23.

The cartoon also includes two trouble-making, 1980s-graphic-like characters called "mooninites," named Ignignokt and Err — who were pictured on the suspicious devices. They are known for making the obscene hand gesture depicted on the devices.

I found this nosing around MSN...I watch Aqua Teen Hunger force. Yes its racy, yeah it probibly goes over the top in a lot of ways but I think people are over reacting. Whats worse is they are being PRAISED for paranoia! I mean, I would understand if people were complaining because the character is flipping the bird (not appropriate for public displays I'll admit) but charging them with terrorisim?
I think its paranoid and further proof that we should be careful not to turn our country into a police state.

What do you think?

Karen
01-31-2007, 08:01 PM
It was not reported at first as anything to do with a cartoon - this being local to me. It was reported as "unidentified packages" afixed to a bridge, in one case.

Hey, better safe than sorry. It wasn't the content of the cartoon that raised the alarm. And remember, two of the planes that became the source of death and destruction on September 11, 2001 came from Boston's Logan Airport.

Lady's Human
01-31-2007, 08:51 PM
If you leave oddball electronic devices laying around as an advert, you deserve whatever you get.

Lady's Human
01-31-2007, 09:47 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070201/ap_on_re_us/suspicious_devices

Update, one arrest.

columbine
01-31-2007, 10:14 PM
If you leave oddball electronic devices laying around as an advert, you deserve whatever you get.I agree, although the climate of paranoia - induced by a particular act of terror 6 years ago - induced in turn by a global policy of terror for longer than I care to think, and exploited by the worst of the lot to a fever pitch for political reasons - is the real crime.

They ALL should have known better. But as always, some bottom-runger is going to pay the price.

Love, Columbine

Lady's Human
01-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Yep, some "bottom runger" is going to pay the price. :rolleyes: Pay the price for their own stupidity.

Free speech is a constitutional right, HOWEVER, yelling "fire " in a crowded theater is still illegal.

The "Climate of Paranoia" as you put it, has a basis in the fact that since the mid 1970's there have been many, many terrorist attacks against the US abroad. 9/11 was a wake up call to the US in a war that has been going on for at least 2 decades. It's not paranoia, it's a reaction to reality.

RICHARD
02-01-2007, 03:35 AM
The 'ad' in question was electronic and had a face and "the finger" on it.
They were left in areas where, had they been a real terrorist threat, would have been pretty devastating.

The whole purpose of a bomb-chem, bio or nuke is a middle finger to whoever it's aimed at.

The question of paranoia is moot.

HAD they been some kind of bomb and the authorities done nothing, the people in Boston would have a good reason to be ticked off.

Bad judgement?
You bet.

------

It costs alot of money to run a SWAT, NRT Or Bomb Squad.

The next alert may be the real thing. :eek:

DJFyrewolf36
02-01-2007, 04:44 AM
Whats wierd is it was in several other cites...and no one noticed. I understand, reading further, why people would be paranoid and taking precautions. I haven't myself seen anything on the placements of the adverts in other cites, so I'm not sure if they were in critical areas like the signs in Boston.

I understand too why locals would be concerned, Karen. I didn't hear that people weren't told what was going on exactly at first. If someone told me that the highway was closed due to an "unidentified package" I'd be scared too.

Would this have bothered people nearly as much pre-9/11? I doubt it, although the threat of terrorism was just as real before 9/11. What irritates me is the big hooplah that the government is making of thier "protecting" the people, it has the feel of someone trying to put a band aid on a bullet hole. Its panicy and reactionary, and it feels that way. This is just further proof of the reactionary way the US is handling the "war on terror"

I am on the fence about if I prefer them not to care at all, or if I prefer them to care way to darn much.

I'm not obsolving the advertising company of responsibility, they should have informed the city of thier intentions and they should have gotten the proper permitting. If they never made any terrorist threats, they shouldn't be charged with that, but they should be prosicuted for the laws they did break. I heard a rumor though, (and if someone could confirm or deny, that would be great) that the company actually DID call in bomb threats. If that is the case, then they should be severly punished.

I don't think ANYONE is blameless in this situation...a waste of money all the way around although now Aqua Teen Hunger Force is now a household name, even if people really don't watch it. Press is press, good or bad. I guess the company did it's job, although I really don't agree with the methodolgy that the advertising firm used.

I apologise if in my first post I came off as supporting the advertising company, you'd think they would have thought SOMETHING like this might happen.

Lady's Human
02-01-2007, 02:02 PM
One would think the ad agency would have known better after what happened with this:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/01/070201193232.ooqqhaxc.html

gini
02-01-2007, 02:45 PM
If you leave oddball electronic devices laying around as an advert, you deserve whatever you get.

I couldn't agree with you more!!

RICHARD
02-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Today, ANY electronic device can be viewed as a possible bomb.

I seem to remember the last time a lit fuse was used to pull off a bombing was in OK City.

Now a terrorist just needs a cell phone to blow something up.

-------

TBS hires a PR firm, they hire an "artist" and they put together a "lite-brite" styled device that could be anything to the average joe, including a bomb.

I seem to remember the guerilla stencil- the stencil painted all over the place toi advertise a movie, album....before that, the posters- placed all over a main drag, And before that, the handbill/flyers that people would stick under your windshield wipers.

------

The mother of one of the 'suspects' was on the tube saying that her son was a good kid..

I don't doubt he's a nice guy.....But I probably would not trust him making any kind of judgement call.... :eek:

KYS
02-01-2007, 09:11 PM
RICHARD:Today, ANY electronic device can be viewed as a possible bomb.>>>

Exactly, It was a stupid thing for them to do.
This is just one incident...

Our tax payers $$$ and precious resources of police checking out strange looking devices all the time when they can be doing more important things. :mad: