PDA

View Full Version : Sizing going to the dogs?!

GreyhoundGirl
01-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Now, is it just me, or is sizing going to the dogs? I bought some winterwear for Jenny last night and she wears size XS. Now, that would be fine if she was a yorkie, but she would probably be classed as a large dog. I thought the package was labelled wrong, but it says XS on the boots themselves, too. The thing is they fit her. What do people with really small dogs do? :eek:

And even with people I've noticed it. I can wear a kids 14 in some stores and a XL adults in others. Sometimes I can fit both those sizes in one store! :eek:

I mean, can't all the stores agree on one sizing unit? And dog stores too.

Does this bother anyone else?

areias
01-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Yes! Well, I don't really purchase clothes for my dogs. Skye has a sweater because she's really short haired, but I bought a large and it fit fine.

But like, in department stores-god, I would classify myself as (gulp) a size 14. But with certain brands, I'd have to go up to almost an 18 to find a size that fits right. And then (since I still shop in the juniors section..) the certain brands that dept stores carry, like Angels, Mudd, etc. don't go past size 12! And size 12 is more like an 8 :rolleyes: . How the heck am I supposed to find clothes, then? LOL. Shirts too...they don't fit right most of the time. I am slightly...well endowed LOL ;) and most of the shirts don't accomodate that.

GreyhoundGirl
01-31-2007, 02:15 PM
(haha, I'd better not tell Jenny that I know a dog in FL with a sweater ;) )

There is this one store here the sizes are -2 (don't get me started :p ) 0, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. I'm 13 and about average size for my age and I wear a 5. I mean, sheesh. :rolleyes:

I just wonder sometimes how adults shop. I mean, how can a 13 year old be XL in an adult store? :p

I think it's a conspiracy to get everyone to think they're fat and try the diet pills :rolleyes:

borzoimom
01-31-2007, 02:20 PM
It bothers me too how some do their sizings but mostly in like racing jackets. I haven't had to buy boots in a long time but I remember it was a royal pain.
Well- she does have small feet.. lol..

lvpets2002
01-31-2007, 02:56 PM
:) I understand & agree 100%.. Sizing is so funny anymore.. Now I like stores that when I can wear the smaller sizes.. I think for dogs if are real small they go to the ferett clothing dept..

DrKym
01-31-2007, 03:06 PM
One more reason I LOVE my sewing machine!

If I truly like an Item that cannot accomadate my chest I simply purchase it take it apart and use it as a pattern on any material I like.(only if I don't already own the pattern!)

As for kids fitting adult clothing in XL my son is 10 and wears mens large sleep pants. Jasper wears XL for the length (he is 6'1) but I always have to take in the waists and the hips some for him. I wind up taking up length for Adrian though :rolleyes: .

dogzr#1
01-31-2007, 04:13 PM
Can't say anything about having to buy the dogs sweaters here. Not too sure if they'd like to wear a sweater in Texas! :p

Now, with human sizes...a whole other story! I can also fit into a size 14 in childrens, and in 'womens' I guess, I usually wear a size 1 medium (for length reasons). It is sooooo hard to find pants that fit me! Some size 1's are sooo tight, while others are super loose! The pants I'm wearing now are size 1, however they are so big that they need a belt! I got some pants for Christmas that were a size 1 and they are a bit tight. Ugh, just make up your mind on what size system thingy to use!!!

Freedom
01-31-2007, 05:16 PM
About the dog clothes, I think someone in another thread recently posted going to a specialty shop for clothes for the small size dog. I think the comment was made by Mr. Chiwawa, not sure.

As for the women's clothes, UGH is all I can say.

Do a google search with the terms standard size women clothes and you will find lots of discussions and frustrations. But I did find one thing I didn't know was out there:

Women's clothing sizes are so wildly inconsistent that they're practically meaningless.

Men can buy a shirt or a suit that corresponds to their actual measurements. But in the surreal world of women's wear, size is a fluid concept. One manufacturer's size 8 may be bigger than another's 12. One designer's small might not be small at all and another's large may be minuscule.
The peculiar result is that most American women have no idea what size they really are.
Donna Karan makes her sizes large, so her size 8 is a standard size 10.
It has gotten so nutty that new services have popped up to help women. At http://fitme.com/ you can plug in your measurements and find out what size will fit you in more than 400 clothing brands

So now, I just need to take my laptop shopping with me, so I can figure out what size I need in the brand I am looking at! Geesh!!!!!

GreyhoundGirl
01-31-2007, 05:20 PM
The pants I'm wearing now are size 1, however they are so big that they need a belt! I got some pants for Christmas that were a size 1 and they are a bit tight. Ugh, just make up your mind on what size system thingy to use!!!

But... you do know Jack wears a belt...? :p

So now, I just need to take my laptop shopping with me, so I can figure out what size I need in the brand I am looking at! Geesh!!!!!

I never buy anything without trying it on anymore. :rolleyes:

dogzr#1
01-31-2007, 06:17 PM
XD Yeah, just need to find a belt that looks similar to Jack's!

Ps: I think he wears TWO belts! I remember seeing that in the CJ 'Head to Toe' feature in DMC.

Suki Wingy
01-31-2007, 06:56 PM
I usually have the opposite problem, Niņo is about 50 pounds and stocky, yet he's an XL in some stuff! What do the Neapolitan Mastiffs wear, I wonder?!?

wolflady
01-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Women's clothing sizes are so wildly inconsistent that they're practically meaningless...[/B]

OMG! Isn't that the truth!!!! :rolleyes:

This is a huge pet peeve for me. California sizes in general run smaller than most states (why is this? Because there are more anorexic people out here or what?) and I absolutely HATE shopping because of this. :mad:

Ever since I gained weight and became a huge fat cow, it's just even more depressing going to the store and not finding anything that fits. Everything is way too small, and of course all of the larges are always sold out. I *think* I'm around a size 14 now, but it's hard to tell the way things are sized and how they fit.
Funny how most of the time, the large sizes are always non-existant while the non-sizes (size 0, 2, 4 WTF?) remain. This happens almost everytime I make an attempt to buy clothes.

I'm sorry, but I'm a woman and I have curves. It would be nice if stores catered to the rest of us "normal" sized people once in a while *sigh*

/rant

RedHedd
01-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Women's clothing sizes are so wildly inconsistent that they're practically meaningless. Yup - I've learned to just buy what fits and ignore what the tags say; in some stores I'm a small, in others the extra-large is too tight (thanks, Mom, for the boobs!). For some reason I'm a petite 6 in jeans no matter where I get them.