PDA

View Full Version : show practice

husky 1
01-31-2007, 02:42 AM
kavik practicing his show stands, ok with teeth checks , ok on lead now too, just a little jumping around but this soon stops

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/rosegallagher/Dsc_6672.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/rosegallagher/Dsc_6668.jpg

And more other pics
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/rosegallagher/Dsc_6651.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/rosegallagher/Dsc_6647.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/rosegallagher/Dsc_6645.jpg

lute
01-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Very good Kavik!

BC_MoM
01-31-2007, 08:41 AM
Looking very nice! :)

borzoimom
01-31-2007, 08:42 AM
Very good Kavik!
When he starts stacking with secure feet- that is when you work on lifting the paws to straighten- then he learns this is normal procedure.. Also After learning the lead- get a show lead ( different than his collar and leash) and take a few steps so he practices trotting along side with you- bring him around in front of you to stack- do not step in front of him yet- this will teach him to watch your feet- instead of keeping his head up.. Also- I bait my puppies after they look at you and stack, I say real low but happy " Okay".. then give the treat-.. The reason is most judges will say " Okay- one time around .." etc- and the dog will look right at the judge for one more impression before going... lol

cali
01-31-2007, 08:55 AM
no fair! lol Electra only just started stacking without bouncing around like a maniac and moving her feet all over refusing to let them be placed at like 9 months old :o

elizabethann
01-31-2007, 10:22 AM
His show stands are beautiful. He needs to give some tips to Fenway. :D

husky 1
01-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanx everyone, also thanx very much borzoimom for the showing tips will try doing that with him i think, sounds good huni ;)

borzoimom
01-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanx everyone, also thanx very much borzoimom for the showing tips will try doing that with him i think, sounds good huni ;)
Feel free to pm me if you need more help.. Using a seperate show lead lets him know to walk along side and this is not just out for a walk.

husky 1
01-31-2007, 10:49 AM
Borzoimom, kaviks breeder is going to get me 2 show leads from crufts when she goes this year, i think crufts is in march, do you know when male dogs drop their testicles as he has nothing yet ? , possibly too young, 8 weeks , 9 weeks on friday this week. I heard that if not dropped by 6 months they probably won,t. :confused:

borzoimom
01-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Borzoimom, kaviks breeder is going to get me 2 show leads from crufts when she goes this year, i think crufts is in march, do you know when male dogs drop their testicles as he has nothing yet ? , possibly too young, 8 weeks , 9 weeks on friday this week. I heard that if not dropped by 6 months they probably won,t. :confused:
Actually the large breeds can wait to desend as late as 8 months old- but thats pushing it. Its nice to have them down at 8-10 weeks old, but 10-16 weeks is more the norm. A dog can not be shown until the dog is descended- and sometimes you do you have to wait. Puppy class doesnt start til 6 months anyway- .. Meanwhile- put in the work- so you are ready when they come. Sometimes you can feel them even if they havent dropped- but its best just to let nature take its course.
The latest male I had to descent was 10 months old! :eek: But most by 4 months old. Luckily with that male- when I told the vet at 9 months old I was going to neuter him because he hadnt dropped and therefore could not show- he said " well if that is the reason- why dont we wait- it wont matter if it doesnt drop- but will if they do... " Since then I have learned to wait.. lol..
Also- when you feed- NO SIT! The pup will associate food with a sit- defeating the purpose of teaching to bait.. Sit is taught seperately- .. Totally../edit- Zubin in a stack at 4 months old- /

husky 1
01-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Yes thats what i have stopped doing in my show training as mishka would sit for treats/ food , shes much better in the fun dog shows now as shes standing all the time in the ring. Not kc regd so she has to miss out on the open & champ shows. Kaviks papers came back from the kennel club yesterday so breeder says she will send them in recorded delivery to me , his kc name is now BLUESANDTWOS BLACK KAVIK.

borzoimom
01-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Yes thats what i have stopped doing in my show training as mishka would sit for treats/ food , shes much better in the fun dog shows now as shes standing all the time in the ring. Not kc regd so she has to miss out on the open & champ shows. Kaviks papers came back from the kennel club yesterday so breeder says she will send them in recorded delivery to me , his kc name is now BLUESANDTWOS BLACK KAVIK.
I did not teach sit either even with my shepherds until they were well into showing unless they were in the heel position. Or in obedience mode- and I had wide buckle collars or chain chokes in obedience so they know the difference. Obedience starts early but sit is done with a totally different collar and lead. Dogs are smarter than we give them credit for.. ( except uh for uh zubin- different collar and all- in a ring that dog will still stack verses the borzoi ' man i hate to sit' Sit.. lol.. )