PDA

View Full Version : Toss it, heat it or eat it? Poll.

Lizzie
01-31-2007, 01:30 AM
I try to make up large pots of rice, veg & beans, etc. a few times a week so that I eat home-cooked meals most of the time but don't have to cook every night. Tonight I made up a large pot of rice, put it in a bowl on a rack to cool and, when it was almost cool enough to put in the fridge, went into the bedroom for a minute. As I walked back into the kitchen, I saw Luke, one of my FIV+ boys and probably my naughtiest cat, sitting right by the bowl.

What would you do with the rice? Bear in mind that I don't have a microwave oven and I'll use the rice cold for the next 3 days.

catmandu
01-31-2007, 07:51 AM
I Dont Think That Cats Are Big On Rice So Luke Probably Just Sniffed At It And Let It Be.
Actually I Ecourage My Cats To Lick Things As Cat Saliva Makes Things Taste Better .
I Guess Its An Acquired Taste.

Reachoutrescue
01-31-2007, 08:02 AM
I would just scrap off the top, just in case. The rest is still good.

Randi
01-31-2007, 08:34 AM
I would just scrap off the top, just in case. The rest is still good.
I would too.

sirrahved
01-31-2007, 08:38 AM
The fiv+ doesn't matter because it's for you, not for the kitties. Just make sure you don't share later on. (I voted #2)

You're also talking to someone who regularly shares with her animals, and other peoples' animals. I took a block of cheese away from Muffin last night and just cut the front hunk off and put it in my fridge.

If you have an adversion to animal hair or animal saliva, don't eat at my house. I'm sure at least one animal has licked every dish in the house!

Cinder & Smoke
01-31-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm sure at least one animal has licked every dish in the house!

:D

We call it "washing the dishes"!

:p

kuhio98
01-31-2007, 11:14 AM
I voted "other". I wouldn't scrape any of it off. I would re-heat it all and continue to eat it. I don't think there's any danger.

lvpets2002
01-31-2007, 12:19 PM
:) Oh not to worry to much.. I voted to shrug it off.. My girls have their noses into & eat out/off of everything I have.. ;)

Blue_Frog
01-31-2007, 12:31 PM

We call it "washing the dishes"!

:p
*lol* we always called it the pre-wash ;)
(yes, the plates -do- end up being washed afterwards).

I voted to scrape the top part off anyway ... and if hes that interested in eating it, maybe a little could be saved as a treat for him with his food? :)

catfamily
01-31-2007, 12:50 PM
I'd scrape the top off. :)

Medusa
01-31-2007, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. When my dishwasher is out of service, I have my crew to keep the dishes clean. ;)

P.S. If you don't have a microwave and you want to reheat the rice, try a double boiler.

Blessings,
Mary

Grace
01-31-2007, 02:10 PM
I saw Luke, one of my FIV+ boys and probably my naughtiest cat, sitting right by the bowl.

As long as he was sitting by it as opposed to in it, I would just go along like it hadn't happened.

Pam
01-31-2007, 02:15 PM
I voted to throw it all out but that is just because rice is cheap. If it had been filet mignon I think I would have managed to just scrape off the top. :p

emilysgk
01-31-2007, 02:30 PM
I would probably take a little off the top, or at least eye it first for any extra hair he put in it for you... :D

kt_luvs_kitties
01-31-2007, 08:03 PM
I would slurp it down like nothing happened. Probably because in my house, when the cats eat from my plate/food, it is as if nothing happened :p It does not bother me at all. ;)

PS- I was going to start a thread/poll about this today. Mine was going to see whom all ate after their pets. :)

Lizzie
01-31-2007, 09:13 PM
I would slurp it down like nothing happened. Probably because in my house, when the cats eat from my plate/food, it is as if nothing happened :p It does not bother me at all. ;)

PS- I was going to start a thread/poll about this today. Mine was going to see whom all ate after their pets. :)

Katie - you don't mean your cats eat off your plate first and then you finish, do you? :eek: I couldn't do that. I do feed, water, litter them first in the morning and evening before I look after myself. I hope that's what you mean.

I spooned off the top of the rice, put it in the fridge, and had some more just now. I was surprised by the number of people that said they'd ignore it. As for tossing it, while rice doesn't cost much, preparing it is too much trouble to do twice. I buy brown rice in bulk so it has to be rinsed and then cooked for 40 minutes.

kt_luvs_kitties
01-31-2007, 09:22 PM
Yes I share with the cats. They come up and take food off my plate while I eat :rolleyes: It does get on my nerves, but I would rather eat after my cats than after some people I know :p ( I also kiss them right on the lips, it grosses some people out, but I can help it. Their tiny little lips are just TOO CUTE not to smootch!
NOW as for a dog, I just COULD NOT do that. They can lick my face and all that, but I would not eat after a dog. I dont know why!

Lizzie
01-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Perhaps that's because dogs eat poop and cats only lick off their own bums?!

Logan
01-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, because I LOVE my cat, just like I love my dogs, but I would not purposely eat or drink after him. He is horrible about trying to drink out of my water glass, beside the bed. In fact, so bad that I had to go with a cup with a lid on it.

I voted with Pam. I would throw it out, probably and start over. But that's me and I do my best to keep him off of the counters, anyway. So far, so good. Hey, we don't eat much rice, anyway, and I definitely don't think Butter would try to eat it. But, he does love any dairy product, so we have to either share in a spot where we don't mind him being, or he will climb all over us and the counters to get to it! LOL!! I remember the cat we had when I was growing up, Tigger, and he was HORRIBLE about stealing food! My mom would get so mad!!!!

Logan

jennielynn1970
01-31-2007, 11:03 PM
As long as he was sitting by it as opposed to in it, I would just go along like it hadn't happened.

I have to totally agree here!! I have "shared" so many meals with my guys. At first I freaked out when it would happen (the thought of my mother finding out that I ate something the cat also was eating from made me feel bad!). The last how many years however, I just kind of shrug, and figure, what the heck. I've even chased down a cat that stole a piece of KFC off my plate to get it back. Little shit hid under the bed with it and growled at me, lol. :D Plus by this time I can pretty much guess who would be eating out of what (cereal bowls drinking the milk = Sophie & Furbee; scrambled eggs and cheese, chicken, cold cuts = Finae; spaghetti sauce and other weird things = Boris. Jorgie is a good boy and doesn't do any of that. :rolleyes: Also haven't had Honeybun long enough to figure him out yet, although he was nibbling my Toasted BLT and Smoked Turkey Hoagie from WaWa tonight. Ate about 1/2 of the turkey on it when I gave it to him. He's a sweetie, and I can't refuse him!

shais_mom
02-01-2007, 02:21 AM
I would probably scrape the top off.

Grace Quote:
That's funny b/c when I first read the question that is what I thought she said that he was IN the bowl!
My trio loves to share with me too with the exception of Kylie. She rarely eats people food. Sometimes she eats lunchmeat turkey or chicken - there has been times I have went to give her something that I thought she would like and she shakes her head and gags! :eek: :confused: Once I was eating a bowl of cocoa pebbles and she reached her dainty little paw up to the bowl and FLIPPED it right out of my hand! She didn't even WANT any!
Kloe begs horribly and will eat some stuff. If she hears me get a bag of lunchmeat out of the fridge she is right by my feet so that I almost trip over her! And Kloe LOVES Frito Lay cheddar cheese in the can - I dip pretzels in it - and she will follow me to where ever I eat for it and stick her head in the can! :o
Part of the reason the cats are so bad is b/c ever since I got tv trays I rarely eat at the kitchen table. MY BAD. So a lot of the time they BOTH climb up into my lap while eating!
Keegan (dog) is a HUGE begger and is obnoxious about it.