PDA

View Full Version : Im so upset right now.

angelbow20
01-30-2007, 09:31 PM
tonight my mom was out with the pups and letting them play around the back room and our one dog mimi attacked of the puppies, actually the one my sister is taking and gave hima puncture wound under his eye and by his mouth my mom grabbed him quick and woke up my dad who flipped out and now is making me get rid of mimi tom, who is my older dog, I do have to admit she is somewhat aggressive with our dogs but never left a mark on any of them, and it happened so quick and it wasnt like the pups were not being watched, all he did was walk by her and she bit him, so now I have to say goodbye to my dog because no matter what I say I cant keep her, I live with my parents and she is actaully our family dog. Im just so upset, and one thing is I know I cant argue with my dad about it, he has a horrible temper and would prolly kick me out of the house.

Catty1
01-30-2007, 09:41 PM
That is so sad...I am so sorry for you.

Do you have a friend that maybe could have just one dog? That way, there are no other puppies to distract her, and you would get to see her.

Just a thought!

{{{hugs}}}

angelbow20
01-30-2007, 09:46 PM
No I wish I did, and alot of people dont get along with her, she isnt a people person, I mean we never got rid of her because we were always afraid she would'nt get a home, because she is so stubborn, cocky and will even go t the bathroom inside if its rainy or snowy even though she knows she isnt aloud, im so upset he will be getting rid of her but I know nobodywill take her, my dad has tried for awhile, he never liked her because of the way she acts. She doesnt get along with cats, small animals and only a few dogs... I wouldnt actually even trust her with small kids because she can be very nippy, I dont know if its the breed she is or what that makes her like that, ever since we had her we always had other dogs, she wasnt our first dog either so she grew with other pets. I just cant stop crying now. its so hard.

buttercup132
01-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Your getting homes for the puppies in a few weeks why would you get rid of the family dog when they are disturbing her and leaving soon?

angelbow20
01-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Your getting homes for the puppies in a few weeks why would you get rid of the family dog when they are disturbing her and leaving soon?

Because my father gave her one last chance, and she ruined it for him, I have no say in it because its not exactly my own dog its the familys and I cant afford to move out and live by myself because I disagree with him. She goes after our huskey mix also and im suprised the other dogs actually allow her to try to fight with them, they werent even disturbing her he walked by her and she jumped after him and bit him for no reason, she is like that with every other animal and with me having a 3 yr old son my parents dont feel safe with him anywhere near her. I tried to talk to my dad and he flipped out on me and said them move out because I have nothing else to say.

Catty1
01-30-2007, 10:27 PM
How old is Mimi? Has she always been like this? Did a vet ever have anything to say about her actions?

If she is old....she might be in a lot of pain from arthritis or something. That would make her irritable.

{{{hugs}}}

angelbow20
01-30-2007, 10:29 PM
How old is Mimi? Has she always been like this? Did a vet ever have anything to say about her actions?

If she is old....she might be in a lot of pain from arthritis or something. That would make her irritable.

{{{hugs}}}

She is around 8 or 9, we had her since she was a puppy, they vets checked her she hasnt a sore bone in her body, they even checked her kidneys and liver and all those things to see if they are failing since she is getting old during her one check up and she is healthier than a 2 yr old dog, she is a small terrier mix and is very healthy and has alway had a mean attitude, we just always felt bad and put up with it even when she was trained to not be agressive, the vets dont know why she is so mean, they said maybe she is snappy because of what she is mixed with, but we dont know what all she is mixed with so we cant go by that for sure.

Catty1
01-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Well...I know you have no say in it...did none of the vets suggest a mild tranquilizer? Would she let anyone pill her or give her drops?

I know I can't help much if your dad won't listen...but who knows...

Daisy and Delilah
01-30-2007, 10:36 PM
x-rays can usually show if arthritis is present but from personal experience, nobody knows how much pain the arthritic patient has except for the patient.
I usually have quite a bit of pain and I get pretty snappy and grouchy too sometimes.

I hope you can find her a loving home to go to. It saddens me to hear that you have to get rid of her. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

angelbow20
01-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Well...I know you have no say in it...did none of the vets suggest a mild tranquilizer? Would she let anyone pill her or give her drops?

I know I can't help much if your dad won't listen...but who knows...

I dont really know, Im going to ask my dad if he would please ask this one couple who wanted one of the pups, but decided not to because they were getting new furniture and didnt have enough money for a young pup right now if they would possibly take her since she doesnt need any shots or anything anytime soon and she is pretty much house broken only goes in the house out dispite I think. And it wouldnt cost as much as a young pup, but I dont know if they would take her, they know her and everything so lets hope they will take her maybe.

luvofallhorses
01-30-2007, 10:39 PM
*sigh* :( I'm sorry but It's really going to be hard to place her since she is an older dog. please don't let your dad take her to the shelter. :( I hope she finds a wonderful home. what breed is she? why would your dad get rid of the family dog, when the pups will find a home in a couple of weeks is beyond me. :( :(

angelbow20
01-30-2007, 10:40 PM
x-rays can usually show if arthritis is present but from personal experience, nobody knows how much pain the arthritic patient has except for the patient.
I usually have quite a bit of pain and I get pretty snappy and grouchy too sometimes.

I hope you can find her a loving home to go to. It saddens me to hear that you have to get rid of her. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Oh she doesnt act like she is in pain at all, she is crazy still and runs around alot. she has always been mean to other animals, she once tried to eat my turtles head off but he was faster than her, and I had to give my kitten to my aunt when I got one because she kept trying to attack it and since we had Mimi longer and my mom has allergies we had to give the cat to my aunt.

angelbow20
01-30-2007, 10:44 PM
*sigh* :( I'm sorry but It's really going to be hard to place her since she is an older dog. please don't let your dad take her to the shelter. :( I hope she finds a wonderful home. what breed is she? why would your dad get rid of the family dog, when the pups will find a home in a couple of weeks is beyond me. :( :(

My dad doesnt get along with her well because she is so nasty to everyone, and he has given her so many chances and tonight he just flipped and was done with her acting so mean and agressive and doesnt trust her with my son because she growls at him also. We dont know the breed. we know she has beagle, terrier and possibly something else but nobody knows what exactly, we rescued her when she was a little pup so we never found out what else she was mixed with. My sister is actually keeping the puppy she attacked so he will be at our house when they visit, but the other dogs love the pups and they pups dont even bother them at all, they usaully sleep with the other dogs and cuddle, after she attacked the pup the other 3 dogs laid witht he rest of the pups and gaurded them from her because I think they were really upset and the mother dog kept crying and giving mimi a nasty look like they were going to fight, it was really scary, and I would love to still keep her or find a great home, I really hope my dad changes his mind.

angelbow20
01-30-2007, 10:49 PM
here is apic of the pup right after she bit him, we cleaned him up and cheacked to see if it was bad enough he had to be taken to the vet but it didnt seem to bad after it got cleaned and taken care of. I feel so bad for little Gus Gus, he is sleeping in my room tonight so if he seems to be in pain through the night I will be right there to check it all out.

Daisy and Delilah
01-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Can you find a place to isolate Mimi from the rest of the dogs? Maybe she is more suited and would be calmer if kept in another area. That way, there would be no threat to the other animals or people.

angelbow20
01-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Can you find a place to isolate Mimi from the rest of the dogs? Maybe she is more suited and would be calmer if kept in another area. That way, there would be no threat to the other animals or people.

Well I could talk to my dad if he will let me, he is really mad at me for trying to stick up for her, but we live in town and dont have abig enough yard to seperate her from the others, in the summer its easier because we have places to tie each dog in the back part of our yard, but since its covered in snow and freezing I wouldnt want to put any of them out there, and she refuses to go anywhere outside, when there is rain or snow and I dont want to put the other dogs out because they didnt do anything wrong and it wouldnt be fare to them. But I am really going to try to talk to my dad if I see him at all tom.

Daisy and Delilah
01-30-2007, 11:00 PM
I can imagine that your Dad and other members of the household are angry right now. Let them sleep on it and maybe it will be negotiable in the morning. Surely, if you've had her since she was a pup, he would have trouble letting her go also. After all these years, I bet he loves her too :)

I hope things are better tomorrow. The pictures of the pup are absolutely precious. He is a cute little guy:)

borzoimom
01-31-2007, 06:11 AM
Anglebow- I just saw this.. Please do not blame the older dog. I am afraid this is a problem that could have occured easily. Adult dogs do not see puppies as dogs, just like dogs may not see an infant as a person either.
I am sorry the puppy got hurt. I never let any adult dog around my pups except the mother- then the father if watched VERY CAREFULLY.. Even then- that is a streatch.. I was lucky - I had another female I could get around the pups that was reliable- but still never left unattended.. Do not blame yourself.
Keep that dog away from the pups- or any dog- including dogs from the outside of your home. Raising pups is hard- its a constant roulette of moving this dog there and that dog here.. so to speak..
I hope the pup goes to the vet as infection in a young dog can happen real fast, and a puncture can easily get infected.

Catty1
01-31-2007, 08:57 AM
Again - think about asking the vet about tranquilizers.

It is not uncommon for some pets to be on them for life.

Better than having them PTS.

If you are afraid to mention this directly to your dad, you could mention casually "Too bad Mimi isn't on tranquilizers...some dogs are" or something like that.

Of course, the vet is the one to consult on this.

HUGS

applesmom
01-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Oh she doesnt act like she is in pain at all, she is crazy still and runs around alot. she has always been mean to other animals, she once tried to eat my turtles head off but he was faster than her, and I had to give my kitten to my aunt when I got one because she kept trying to attack it and since we had Mimi longer and my mom has allergies we had to give the cat to my aunt.

From what you've said above and in other posts, an old dog that attacks both humans and animals and cannot be housebroken is not a candidate for rehoming. If your dad is serious about getting rid of her; the kindest last act he could do would be to have her put down while she's with the only family she's ever known.

To place her with someone else would only aggravate and escalate her problems. This would begin a cycle of abuse or neglect and being bounced from one home to another until she winds up being put down alone and afraid in a shelter somewhere. Not to mention the harm she could do to humans or animals in the meantime.

You might repeat this to him and see if the prospect of putting her down would make him reconsider.