PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Up

NoahsMommy
06-24-2002, 07:50 PM
Poor Noah seems to have a sensitive stomache...poor thing...my question is...if you have cats that do this...what do you clean it up with? We have that high-quality apartment carpet :) and it's hard to make it really clean unless we clean up right after him...any ideas??

krazyaboutkatz
06-25-2002, 12:57 AM
I have this problem from time to time. Sunny is usually the culprit. I use frebreeze to clean it up. It has worked on dried up throw up as well and it smells nice. Good luck.http://www.smilies.nl/groot/cat.gif

Heather Wallace
06-25-2002, 06:18 AM
Max has a delicate stomach to and also has this problem from time to time. It might be the food, maybe it is to rich for |Noahs tummy.

Yes i try and clean it up as soon as it happens to, as as you said it tends to stain.

06-25-2002, 06:45 AM
I clean those "left overs" up with kitchen tissues .
What helps on carpets is the trick which is a miracle as to red-wine-stains : put salt on the spot and dip it away as soon as it seems coloured !!! More salt till it does not pick up fluids anymore . Success !!!!

purrley
06-25-2002, 07:19 AM
My Spencer (Choc. Pt. Siamese) throws up almost daily. I've tried a lot of different clean up agents and found that HELP put out by Hartz is the best. I even sent away for "Wineaway". That was pretty good but this HELP is better.

NoahsMommy
06-25-2002, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the ideas!! :)

NoahsMommy
06-25-2002, 04:38 PM
toughcookie,

Does it bleach the carpet or whatever you put it on? We'll have to have new carpet put in becuase our other little angel likes to pull carpet up at corners... :mad: :mad: :mad: There goes our deposit! :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-27-2002, 03:12 PM
We have white carpeting in the entire house (well, at least the part that's carpeted) and I have become quite the expert at cleaning up after throw-ups if I do say so myself. ;)

I bought one of those little hand-held carpet cleaners. The ones spray water down then suck it up like a real carpet cleaner. If the spot is still wet when I find it, I put paper towel on it to soak up as much of the liquid as possible - but don't rub it in, that will only make it worse. Then when the spot is *completely* dry, I take a brush and brush it to get break up any of the solids that may have been left. Then I vacuum to get any little crumbs up from the brushing. Finally, I get the hand held carpet cleaner thing out. I don't remember the name of the cleaner that came with it, but it's a common, well-known name brand, and it works really well. I make the water as hot as possible out of the tap. And, most importantly, I rinse very well with clean, un-soaped, water after. I have found that if you don't get all the soap out of the carpet, or if you use those spray-on type things that you vacuum up, it will eventually make the spot worse because the soap left in the carpet will attract dirt. I'm still working on a spot from about 5 years ago that we did this too and I'm *still* getting soap out of it!

I've found the most important things are to not scrub the spot when it's wet because that will only rub it in instead of getting it out. As most cleaners will say, dab at the spot, don't rub. Sometimes I may not get it out entirely the first time, so I'll wait a week or so and try again, and then I can usually get it all out.

The hardest part is getting Terry to have patience while it dries. He wants to immediately start rubbing on it and spraying a bunch of stuff on it. All that does is soak it all in more and you'll never get it out. I've used this method successfully now for almost 2 years and I think he's finally getting the idea. :rolleyes:

Anyway, hope this helps someone because I was at my wits end trying to keep all this white carpet clean.

(PS - I did not know Terry when he built and decorated the house so I had no input on the white carpets. And one of his biggest fears when I moved in with the cats was that they would ruin the carpeting. I believe I've proved him wrong.) :)

06-27-2002, 03:17 PM
Thanks so much for this interesting reply !!!! I will print it out , just in case .... !!

http://community.webshots.com/user/sydneybilliepets

cutie_chica
06-27-2002, 04:47 PM
When Princess is about to get sick she finds the nearest human and does this deep meow.. so we will pick her up and take her in one of our bathrooms, she even trys to make it to either the kitchen floor or the bathroom floors because they are the only rooms that doest have this annoying tan carpet.....But when Princess does have a acident, I use Brissill carpet cleaner.. it works real well... you can buy it at any local walmart or really I think any store wil have it...... good luck.......mmeeoowww from Princess

NoahsMommy
06-27-2002, 08:31 PM
Thank you!!! GREAT advice!!!! I'll start doing that now...we do have a big steam cleaner, the one that heats up the water for you...but for some reason I cant get my hubby to pull it out each time... :)

Thank you again!!! :)

Nomilynn
06-27-2002, 11:11 PM
Wow - Princess sure is a smart and considerate kitty!! :D

tuxluvr
06-29-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by cutie_chica
When Princess is about to get sick she finds the nearest human and does this deep meow..

Ritzy also has this very recognizable "I'm about to barf" meow....but she wants to always be where we are, so I try to go quickly into the kitchen where ther is tile and the cleanup is easier.

I agree with the steam cleaning approach. Tubby&Peanuts mom sounds like she has this down to a science.

Fortunately, Ritzy isn't prone to the urpies very often. :rolleyes:

manthyra
06-29-2002, 09:18 AM
I do have the advantage of having a dark, very short carpet, so stains don't show up well, but what I do: I pick the big chunks up and let the rest dry, then I scrape it off with the vacuum cleaner with the brush off. It works great, can't see where it happened. It wouldn't work on a thicker carpet I don't think :(