PDA

View Full Version : Sunlight returns to Barrow, Alaska

kuhio98
01-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Sunlight returns to Barrow

The Associated Press
Published: January 23, 2007

BARROW, Alaska (AP) - Cheryl Rosa has a clear view of the horizon from her home at the edge of town, so she'll be able to see the sun rise on Tuesday for the first time since November.

After more than two months of winter darkness, Rosa and the 4,200 other residents in American's northernmost city were anticipating the sun's appearance, though it will be brief and could be obscured by clouds and snow flurries.

"The sun coming up here is like the start of a new year in a way," Rosa said.

The sun is expected to rise at 1:06 p.m. and disappear below the rim of the Arctic Ocean at 2:13 p.m, according to the U.S. Weather Service office in Barrow.

The sun last rose in Barrow on November 18.

Craig George, an amateur astronomer, said he finds the sun's dependability comforting.

"In this mad world we live in, the old sun is completely reliable. Ill be thrilled to have it back," George said.

mugsy
01-30-2007, 12:09 PM
WOOHOO!!! Lucky Barrow residents...an hour and 7 minutes of sunlight a week ago...I wonder how long it's up today...I should go look.

It's now bright and sunny here in Ft Wayne today after waking up to 4 inches of white this morning...the first "significant" snowfall all winter and as usual, everyone panicked! lol All of the schools cancelled...which is why I'm posting! I gave up a meeting at 7am and 1/2 day conference..hmmm...conference, early meeting or a day off...tough choice! lol

Way to go Barrow!!