PDA

View Full Version : Showers

junescrater716
01-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Well when we first brought Ollie home he decided he liked to take showers with me. lol Is that going to be bad for his skin? :confused:

borzoimom
01-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Our soap is high on akaline for a dog- just shut the door- .. Zubin, Hottie or Femka will check on us when in the shower too... And Femka, if she thinks she is dirty- and we leave a shower curtain open, will get in there- surprising you if you are do not know she is there..

lvpets2002
01-30-2007, 10:08 AM
:) I sure would not make a habit of it everyday.. I do think yes this will {if everyday} dry his skin out to much.. I am sure other PT'rs would know best & will advise..

caseysmom
01-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Whats the difference between a shower and a bath?

borzoimom
01-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Our soap would strip the oil in the coat- and has more perfumes is the problem.
Junescrater- one time wont hurt the dog- .. lol.. And now you know just shut the door..

junescrater716
01-30-2007, 09:30 PM
I tried shutting it once and her scratched at it so hard that we have permanant claw marks in the door. I make sure not to get any soap on him and he just sits there. lol

critter crazy
01-30-2007, 09:34 PM
I tried shutting it once and her scratched at it so hard that we have permanant claw marks in the door. I make sure not to get any soap on him and he just sits there. lol
is he crate trained?? could he be in a crate while you are showering?? even tho you try to not get soap on him, it is gonna happen.

My kitty loki loves the shower, so I have had to lock him out of the bathroom.

junescrater716
01-30-2007, 09:42 PM
See, me and Ollie arre kind of "connected' meaning he NEVER wants to be away from me and if I put him in his crate he'll scream. Literally scream. Once he tipped it over. My mom has tried holding him while I'm in the shower but he does ANYTHING he can to get to me.Such as biting scratching and yelping. lol

mr.chiwawa
01-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Just like a human baby sometimes you gotta let them scream. My chihuahua used to be the same way and where as I want him to be a therpy dog I learned to just let him scream bloody hell in his crate he wasnt hurt he was just trying to see how long untill i gave in. Once he learned that I was the one in charge he quited right down. Now he doesn even bother because he knows he wont win. Also if you always give in to him then you are letting him be the boss which later on can hinder you.

critter crazy
01-30-2007, 09:47 PM
See, me and Ollie arre kind of "connected' meaning he NEVER wants to be away from me and if I put him in his crate he'll scream. Literally scream. Once he tipped it over. My mom has tried holding him while I'm in the shower but he does ANYTHING he can to get to me.Such as biting scratching and yelping. lol
then how do you go to school/work??

animal_rescue
01-30-2007, 10:04 PM
When Roxie was a pup she used to love just jumping in the shower with me and hanging out. I thought it was cute and never minded it, I just let her in. She doesn't like it now thought :(

junescrater716
01-31-2007, 11:34 PM
then how do you go to school/work??

I hide from him then I run out the door as fast as I can. lol Then when I come home he's all over me again. lol

borzoimom
02-01-2007, 07:11 AM
I hide from him then I run out the door as fast as I can. lol Then when I come home he's all over me again. lol
JUnescrater- I know this sounds like fun- but suddenly disappearing from him, will encourage seperation anxiety- as the dog doesnt know when you have left. It may sound like a cute game now- but will teach him- he doesnt constantly watch you, you might disappear any second. Puppies and young children do not have " object permanence- " meaning the knowledge of knowing you will return. I would suggest you crate him, let him scream- but do not let him out when you return until he is quiet. Use something like " be right back" then leave- wait until quiet, and quietly calmly go back to the crate- let him out with calm words and body posture. Make sure as I said- when you let him out, you keep calm- ( ie no big deal..) Soon when you say " be right back " he will lay down and wait for you to return.. And even though your mom is home during the day when you are at school- you should still work on this- especially since he is already worried when you leave his sight. .. Better to correct the problem now-

Taz_Zoee
02-01-2007, 09:26 AM
I believe Ollie is young enough...why don't you train him to wait for you outside the shower? Zoee lays on the rug right outside the shower and Taz sits up on the counter everytime I shower. I don't know...just a suggestion.
Good Luck! :)

critter crazy
02-01-2007, 09:32 AM
You are only going to make the situation worse, by playing this game! He needs to know, that even though you leave, you will be back. He needs to be crate trained! If you dont fix this behavior now, it is going to escalate, causing him undue stress, and make him possibly very distructive. just like a child, you cannot give into all of their wants.