PDA

View Full Version : Five years ago today

Glacier
01-29-2007, 06:47 PM
It's hard to believe that five years has passed already. My husband would
probably say that January 29, 2002 was the beginning of the end of life as
we knew it. It was the day our very first foster dogs arrived.

Preacher and Franklin had been in the shelter for well over a year. Franklin was afraid of his own shadow and Preacher was so depressed he wouldn't even eat. Preacher liked nothing better than food--didn't matter what kind of food, where it was served or if it was actually meant for him, he just loved to eat. The loss of appetite was bad sign, as it was in December 2006 when not eating led to his final trip to the vet.

Today Franklin is adjusting to life without his best friend, adjusting
better than I am some days. He spent this afternoon running twenty miles in his favorite wheel position of a six dog team.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/06/quarrytrail-1.jpg
We explored a new trail today, much to the dogs' delight.
No longer afraid of his shadow, Franklin is a happy, playful, silly 7 year old. He loves to pull, he loves to play chase with his both his canine and human buddies. For thefirst year we had him the only real way to interact with him was to play agame we call "Get Frankie". He playbows and barks, I chase him saying that I'm gonna get him. We still play Get Frankie almost daily, but now we play just for fun. Franklin isn't hard to catch anymore! He seeks out attention and even snuggles on the futon some nights.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/06/frankeanniversary.jpg
Preacher was never shy, never timid. Even when he lost his sight, he never
lost his courage. He took over this house within days of his arrival,
claimed a spot in the hallway as his own and dared any other dog to try and
move him. He became my best friend, my shadow and part of my soul. He
showed me what real forgiveness, bravery and acceptance look like.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/preahcipoo.jpg
Five weeks after his death, it is still painfully quiet without him. I still
stop every night where he used to get fed, simply out of habit. I still
say "it's ok buddy, it's just me" as I step over his sleeping spot in the
porch. He is still very much a part of this place.

Happy Gotcha day boys.

dukedogsmom
01-29-2007, 07:20 PM
So bittersweet. I sometimes don't envy you. You have so many special animals that the loss is that much bigger when one passes. Your heart must be bigger than all the Canada sky.

The "get Frankie" game sounds too cute. I just love seeing the dogs in their playbow position. In fact, that's the tattoo of Duke I'm going to get. I'm so glad Franklin is secure and able to enjoy just being a dog. That's one of the greatest gifts you can give a dog.

Freedom
01-29-2007, 07:30 PM
What a fine tribute to Preacher.
and
What a wonderful Happy Gotcha Day for Franklin - he's come SUCH a long way!

captain
01-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Tamara,

You had me in tears, tears of joy and of sadness.
I still think you are such a saint for rescuing ............ (oh, and your hubbie too :p )

Glacier
01-29-2007, 08:45 PM
You have so many special animals that the loss is that much bigger when one passes.

A friend sent me this when Preacher died. I think it's perfect...

"It came to me
that every time I lose a dog
they take a piece of my heart with them.
And every new dog
who comes into my life
gifts me with a piece of their heart.
If I live long enough,
all the components of my heart
will be dog,
and I will become as generous
and loving as they are."

dukedogsmom
01-29-2007, 08:47 PM
I love that! It's a sweet poem. I know it will take a lot of dogs to replace what Duke took from me.

critter crazy
01-29-2007, 08:47 PM
that was just a great tribute! happty Gotcha day!

cyber-sibes
01-29-2007, 10:56 PM
((((((hugs)))))
thanks for sharing your life's loves with us.

Cinder & Smoke
01-29-2007, 11:32 PM
"and I will become as generous
and loving as they are."

Don't look now ...

but you're pretty close to being there!
;)

finn's mom
01-30-2007, 05:13 AM
The poem is wonderful. This tribute is wonderful. Keep your spirits up, it sounds like Preacher did his job and did it well. He gave Franklin the strength to be a dog. What a gift to give a friend.

pitc9
01-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Don't look now ...

but you're pretty close to being there!
;)

Amen to that!

LES
{{Hugs}} to you.

Ginger's Mom
01-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Happy Gotcha Day, Franklin, and keep on smiling and celebrating at the Bridge, Preacher.
This is a beautiful tribute to two very lucky dogs. I love the poem.

wolf_Q
01-30-2007, 11:10 AM
What a beautiful tribute to two very special dogs. I love that poem too. You really should write a book about all of your dogs, their stories of getting them, etc.

Logan
01-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Tamara, I'm glad you "celebrated" a very special day in your life. :) January 29 is a special day at my home, too. My daughter, Helen, turned 16 years old, yesterday, and Honey (Golden Retriever) celebrated her 8th "Gotcha Day" with us and Roger (Cockatiel) celebrated his 5th "Gotcha Day", too!!!!!! :D

Much love to you all, especially Franklin, for carrying on, where Preacher left off.
Logan

Husky_mom
01-30-2007, 03:11 PM
What a beautiful tribute to two very special dogs. I love that poem too. You really should write a book about all of your dogs, their stories of getting them, etc.

please add me first on the list.......I would LOVE to have you and your crew memoirs........

Lovely tribute, I´m so teary eyed right now...........

Happy Gotcha day boys.........you were lucky to find such a loving home......

Tamara, God blesses you every day for what you have done.......((HUGS))

captain
01-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Tamara,

Only because I have kept this link ............ I thought you would not mind if I posted it here for the newbies ....

Glacier's 21 Doggies Thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83017&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

Phred - I second that comment too!!!!

Glacier
01-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Tamara,

Only because I have kept this link ............ I thought you would not mind if I posted it here for the newbies ....

Glacier's 21 Doggies Thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83017&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

Thanks everyone...

Don't mind at all captain. That thread is a bit out of date again. Anvik isn't included! Deuce doesn't even look like the same dog as in his first picture and Daisy looks like a baby in that one! I didn't realize she had matured so much until I saw that old picture!

cmayer31
01-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Happy Birthday, Franklin! It looks like you had a great time on the run. I'm glad that the link to the Glacier's 21 Doggies Thread got linked here. It was fun to read it again.

Kfamr
01-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Tamara, you are an amazing woman. Your words have brought tears to my eyes. I second, third, fourth, whatever the thought about you writing a book about the tales of your pack. It would be a great read, for sure, as we have gotten a small tidbit of it here.

I am jealous of your lifestyle, honestly!

Happy belated "Gotcha Day" to the two sweet boys. I am sure Preacher celebrated at the bridge.