PDA

View Full Version : Plea deals in dog's starvation death

cassiesmom
01-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Here is another story of animal cruelty. Reading about these situations makes me sick. If you are going to be mean to your pet, I say you shouldn't have one.
-----
Plea deals in dog's starvation death

By Hal Dardick
Tribune staff reporter

January 29, 2007, 12:17 PM CST

A Crest Hill man was sentenced to prison and his daughter was given probation today after they admitted in plea deals that they starved their pet dog to death last year.

Mark Obidowicz, 44, pleaded guilty to aggravated animal cruelty, a felony that carried a maximum three-year prison sentence. He was sentenced to one year in prison.

Nicole Obidowicz, 19, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor animal cruelty. She was sentenced to 24 months conditional discharge, a type of probation, during which she cannot own an animal. She also was ordered to perform 100 hours of community service.

Kira, the family's 1-year-old Siberian husky, weighed 17.3 pounds when it died Oct. 22, a tenth of a pound less than it weighed at four months, when the father and daughter bought the dog, authorities said.

"Both defendants acknowledged that the dog was not given food and water on a regular basis," Assistant State's Atty. Jennifer Chang said. The animal was kept in a cage in the basement of the Obidowicz home, on the 1800 block of Springside Drive.

Animal control officers found the dog buried in a farm field behind the home, authorities said. An animal autopsy determined the dog's death was consistent with one caused by starvation, Chang said.
Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

PJ's Mom
01-29-2007, 03:06 PM
So when will the punishment fit the crime? If they starve a dog, they should starve as well. Lock them in a cage and deprive them of food and water.

Seems only fitting to me. Let them feel what that poor animal felt. :(

kittycats_delight
01-29-2007, 03:23 PM
So when will the punishment fit the crime? If they starve a dog, they should starve as well. Lock them in a cage and deprive them of food and water.

HERE HERE!!!!! I agree with you completely. Things like these need to be punished much more harshly. It is rediculous when you can spend more time in jail for shoplifting than you can for murdering and/or torturing an animal.

I say let them feel the same pain they inflicted on the animal. I also say this when it comes to torture and murder of anykind. An eye for an eye.

cassiesmom
01-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Let them feel what that poor animal felt.

I was thinking the exact same thing about the two boys in Georgia ...

Daisy and Delilah
01-29-2007, 09:34 PM

Isn't that the truth!! When will the punishment ever fit the crime in these animal abuse cases????
Needless to say, it sounds to me like these two need some serious psychiatric help. Why in the world would they want this dog to begin with? Will the sickos in this world ever stop? :mad: :mad: :(

lizbud
01-30-2007, 11:51 AM
They could take the time to bury the dog in the back yard, but would
not take the time to drop him off at the Humane Society if they no longer
wanted him? I just cannot understand this kind of conduct.May they both
rot in hell.

elizabethann
01-30-2007, 12:12 PM
:mad: 17 pounds? That's horrible. I hope that man gets beat up in prison. I work for a non-profit and his daughter can come & do community service for me anyday. I'd get her to pay her dues. GRRRRRR.... :mad: