PDA

View Full Version : My mom is a baaaad influence

catnapper
01-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Oh boy, my mom is one big, bad influence on me!

She came up to visit this morning and was actually surprised to see how much weight I've lost since Christmas (I knew I was losing weight but hadn't realized it was so obvious to anyone else) I tried on a few of my outfits I planned on wearing this week and she told me that they looked "sloppy" since they were all big on me now. She offered to buy me a new outfit, and of course I eagerly accepted ;)

We went to the local outlet center in search of a pretty new work outfit. I found sweater after sweater, jacket after jacket... everything was on a huge sale. All in all, my FREE trip to the store cost me $120 :rolleyes:

I honestly don't mind spending money on work clothes since I know clients will judge my designing ability by how I present myself. but part of me worries that all my new clothes will be too large by the Easter...... though maybe by Easter I'll have enough money that I can actually afford it without crying! LOL I guess there's no better reason to buy new clothes than all your clothes look frumpy :D

PS: It was AWESOME to try on pants 2 sizes smaller and actually button them up! Tops weren't as big a size difference as bottoms, but I still noticed everything fit much nicer than before.

Karen
01-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Other than sweaters, clothes can be easily tailored to fit smaller sizes, so you needn't buy a whole new wardrobe every few sizes!

kuhio98
01-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Other than sweaters, clothes can be easily tailored to fit smaller sizes, so you needn't buy a whole new wardrobe every few sizes!Yep. That's what I do. Tailoring is a lot less expensive than buying a new wardrobe. (Not that I've needed anything "taken in" lately............) :( :p :(

borzoimom
01-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Other than sweaters, clothes can be easily tailored to fit smaller sizes, so you needn't buy a whole new wardrobe every few sizes!
I agree.. I had 3 months that because of thyroid problems triggered by hormone problems- I went up a full size. I lost 15 pounds after my last and final surgery in December, and we dropped the few pants off I bought at the dry cleaners that did alterations. They are nice dress slacks and now I can use them again for much less the price of new clothes.
I am happy you were so pleased with how things are working out.

Rachel
01-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Congratulations on your weight loss, Kim. Whatever you are doing, keep it up and maybe share some tips with the rest of us.

catnapper
01-28-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't know how much tailoring is around you, but it aint' cheap here. I did check into it last week because my most favorite pair of white pants needed it. They wanted nearly $20 to take them in (of course they are fully lined, etc.) All the new things I got were under $15 each (with the exception of the jacket, which I still got for a steal.)

Craftlady
01-28-2007, 12:50 PM
$20 to take in lined pants very reasonable. It's like taking in 2 pairs of pants in one pair.

jenluckenbach
01-28-2007, 01:46 PM
First of all, congratulations. Nothing better than needing clothes due to a weight loss.

Second, my mom used to be THAT kind of influence :rolleyes: (and boy do I miss her :( ). But shopping with mom was always THE BEST!

moosmom
01-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Kim,

I am SOOO happy for you!! A new job, weight loss. Looks like things are FINALLY looking up for you!

When I left Michigan, I was 189 lbs. :eek: I weighed myself at my daughter's house this morning and I'm down to 153! I've gone from size 18 jeans to a size 12!!! It' feels great!

Good luck at your new job! Knock 'em dead chickie!!

Catty1
01-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Kim - could you try Freecycle? Offer clothes of a certain size, then REQUEST clothes of a certain size?

Might work...or if you are a member of a church or other group, do a swap of a few items!

Could save both sides a few bucks!

catnapper
01-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Kim - could you try Freecycle? Offer clothes of a certain size, then REQUEST clothes of a certain size?

Might work...or if you are a member of a church or other group, do a swap of a few items!

Could save both sides a few bucks!
Did that already several times and jot JUNK. I gave away great clothes and got smelly (cigarettes or mildew) and stained junk. I was very disappointed to say the least.

Look, folks, I know how to save money better than most people here. I won't buy something unless its an abolute need AND a great price. I would not have bought my clothes this afternoon if I thought for one second that I could have found something cheaper or better. I was refusing to buy clothes til now because I tried to convince myself that my clothes were a-ok, but when mom says I look frumpy, it has to be pretty bad.... especially since mom likes things very loose to begin with.

Catty1
01-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Wasn't there a fashion phase many years back that didn't last at ALL - the Sack Dress?

http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1211_sixties/1211_dress/t90_1973.jpg

It turned into the Shift Dress...

Maybe I confused it with the Balloon Dress... The skirt of it is DEFINITELY LOOSE! :) http://www.chinatowner.com/images/products/32180/32180_m.jpg

kimlovescats
01-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Congratulations on the weight loss. I wish I could say the same here! :rolleyes:

Congrats on the pretty new clothes ... nothing like having something nice and new to wear to a new job. Just always makes you feel more confident! ;)

Good luck, I know you will be great!

Hugs,
Kim

Cataholic
01-29-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't know how much tailoring is around you, but it aint' cheap here. I did check into it last week because my most favorite pair of white pants needed it. They wanted nearly $20 to take them in (of course they are fully lined, etc.) All the new things I got were under $15 each (with the exception of the jacket, which I still got for a steal.)

I am with you, Kim! Good tailoring is not cheap. I am not talking about hemming a pair of pants, but, "taking in" clothes. Unless it is a item you love, and you paid something for it to begin with, it is cheaper to buy new! :)

JenBKR
01-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Congrats on the weight loss! How exciting! That trip to the store is your reward for losing weight and getting that new job - I think you really deserved a reward!

jazzcat
01-29-2007, 01:08 PM
I am with you, Kim! Good tailoring is not cheap. I am not talking about hemming a pair of pants, but, "taking in" clothes. Unless it is a item you love, and you paid something for it to begin with, it is cheaper to buy new! :)
Same here. I'm such a bargain hunter that I get most things for as cheap or cheaper than paying or alterations. I have to share, I just got a wool blend blazer on clearance for $2.99 that I saw in a major department store for $69.99. I found it at Ross. I also just got awesome deals from Coldwater Creek's online outlet. There was a sweater in their store I wanted at Christmas for $79 and I just got it for $10 after markdowns and an online coupon.

Congrats on the weight loss!!!!