PDA

View Full Version : Goat and Chicken Inquiry

BitsyNaceyDog
01-28-2007, 09:20 AM
We are hoping to get a few goats and chickens in the next couple of years. I want to start researching them now. I have a little experience with chickens, but none with goats. I was hoping someone here could recommend some good books to me.

I have no idea which breed of chickens I want. Maybe Araucanas, that's what a friend of mine has. I want to research them and other breeds before I decide though.

I don't really know what kind of goats I want either, probably Nubian Goats. I'd like research them and others before deciding.

It will be at least a year before we get any chickens and probably two years before we get any goats. The pasture needs work, as does the stable and chicken coop. The chicken coop is in pretty good shape, it just needs to be expanded as it's a bit small. The stables are in pretty good shape too, but I want them to be a bit larger and have some benches and nice cozy places for the goats.

Any suggestions and/or advise is greatly appreciated.

Argranade
01-28-2007, 09:26 AM
I'll get some chicken info for you later lol,

As for goats be careful as I was wanting one. :o

They can become agressive and hit us humans with there horns thinking it's play time or somthing lol, I would only get one female goat if I was you because if you get alot they can fight each other .. like this one female goat stabbed this other male goat making him bleed on his side, you can get there horns taken off too .. not sure if it hurts or not sorry.

So I geuss female goats have horns too lol.

Argranade
01-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Okay here is some chicken info,

I found this great site, it shows everything you need to know about keeping pet chickens. http://www.mypetchicken.com/ebook.aspx

As for breeds of chickens I would for sure get some bantam chickens,

These chickens are just cute and fluffy, they make great pets because of there gentle-ness lol, I have just picked some up out of no where at this fair and they did not even move .. they where so soft and just sat in my arms letting me pet them, they just love attention.

Here are some photos of bantam chickens, there an awsome breed & also they come in not so fluffy types if thats not what your looking for, there's also small tiny breeds of chickens but I find them way too hyper, I also might add a chicken to my flock and if I do it's going to be a fluffy for sure lol.

I'm pretty sure all breeds of chickens can make good pets, I would start off with chicks because most breeders who sell you adults chickens usualy are ruff with the adult because there more scared.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/white_creatures/more%20stuff/werwerwe.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/white_creatures/more%20stuff/lightbrahma.jpg

critter crazy
01-28-2007, 10:49 AM
I have chickens, 15 hens, 3 roosters. I have many different breeds. They are fabulous! i guess breed all depends on what you want them for. What are you looking for?? egg production, meat, or just companionship??? chickens are very entertaining, and just a joy to have around. you do need to make sure that they have plenty of room. the coop has to be big enough to support all the birds you will have, and if they are in pens, this needs to be roomy enough too. My birds free-range, and quite love it not a big fan of confining my animals. If you have any questions just ask. will be glad to help!

Blue_Frog
01-28-2007, 11:01 AM
My mom's friend raises Angora Goats - were you looking to have goats as pets or to generate some income as well (like selling the fleeces) -- I don't know a lot about goats in general, but I can find out more about the angora ones if youre interested :)

Otherwise, you could look here -- http://www.goatweb.com/ -- they seem to have information about breeds etc.

Genny
01-28-2007, 02:20 PM
I have a pygmy goat named Reese. He is a lot of fun! I've had him almost a year and he's a good pet. He doesn't like my niece (she's 3) he will try and knock her down. When we got him his horns had been removed so he doesn't have horns. He has a favorite person (me) he'll follow me around the entire yard. He likes other people, though so he's friendly... I have a fence around the house, but I don't have a pen that I keep Reese in so he's always at the front or back door wanting in :eek:
If you're getting them as pets you should get them neutered and spayed because they'll make better pets. I got Reese done and he's really sweet.

Goodluck!!!!
Genny

TamanduaGirl
01-28-2007, 03:20 PM
they should be debuded as babies so the horns never grow in. all males must be castrated(weathered) if your looking for pet quality. We had a whole herd of llamas, goats, sheep in the same feild and no problems with them hurting each other. Well one llama had to be seprated for agression to the other llamas.

To avoid them butting you you just don't play that way with them as kids. You can pet their heads but don't push on it or let them but you or your hand. We never had problems with that.

Even growing up my dad had a buck(intact male) ad he could go wrestle and head but with it and it would sort of pretend to head but him gently but us kids were never let near it.

I'd go for nubians. They are my favorite. Big breed but sweet and so puppy dog like. They're quite smart too. If you do breed the females also have very rich milk.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-29-2007, 08:31 AM
Thank you for all of your help and suggestions. I'll look at those sites, thank you for posting those links.

I do plan on having my chickens be free range, but I want their coop to be large for nights and days when the weather is poor as I will keep them locked in during those times.
I want probably only 6 chickens, at least to start with. I mainly want them as pets, but also for the eggs.

My goats will strictly be pets, we have no interest in breeding them. They will all be spayed/neutered. I read something about them being debuded, I want to do some research on that. I haven't really looked to much into breeds yet, I will read up on Angoras. I have done a little reading on pygmy goats, but I will do some more.

I've enjoyed reading all your posts and i appreciate all the advise. Thank you.

TamanduaGirl
01-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Don't spay a female unless there's some health reason too. They weather the bucks really young so when you buy a boy goat just be sure he's a weather(no ballies)

I poked around a bit and found a message board called goatweb you might want to check that out.