PDA

View Full Version : This Was On Dogster - Graphic - But Perhaps You Can Write A Letter

elizabethann
01-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Breaking news today:
Justin and Joshua Moulder, charged with torturing and baking a puppy to death, entered guilty pleas to the nine felony counts against each of them in Atlanta today. They face up to 90 years in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for February 9th.

URGENT: Your letters to the judge in support of the maximum sentence for these men are desperately needed! Letters should be sent as soon as possible--the earlier you send them, the more likely they will be included in the sentencing file. Please take a few moments to compose your own, or cut and paste the letter below. Letter should be addressed to Judge Thelma Wyatt Moore, but sent to:

Assistant District Attorney Laura Janssen
Office of the Fulton County District Attorney
136 Pryor Street, SW--Third Floor
Atlanta, GA 30303

RE: Sentencing for Justin Moulder and Joshua Moulder

Dear Judge Moore:

I am writing to you in support of the maximum sentence of 90 years in prison for Justin and Joshua Moulder.

In addition to defacing and burglarizing a community center, the defendants duct-taped, doused with paint, set on fire, and baked a puppy to death in a gas oven. According to trial testimony, the puppy's death was slow. She thrashed about inside the oven, defecated on herself, and wore her claws down to bloody stumps. The suffering endured by this animal is beyond anything you or I can imagine.

Justin and Joshua Moulder's horrific actions required planning, deliberation, and callous indifference to life. The research on animal abuse is clear: those who torture animals are very likely to commit similar crimes against people. Therefore, I firmly believe that these men should be imprisoned for the rest of their natural lives, and I urge you to impose the maximum penalty when they come before you for sentencing on February 9th.

Sincerely,

(Your signature)

Your name
Street address
City, State Zip
Phone number

BC_MoM
01-26-2007, 09:41 PM
I will most definitely send a letter.

The details of what that poor puppy went through are extremely disturbing. May God have mercy on these troubled "men".

Daisy and Delilah
01-26-2007, 09:49 PM
The story calls them men. I thought they were talking about kids. It seems that older men should know better. How old are these morons? No matter what age they are, it will be people they're torturing next. I hope they get the max and never get out. It would be beneficial to the judge to make sure this happens. :( :mad: :( :mad:

I have copied and pasted the letter to go out tomorrow. What an outrage!! :mad:

TamanduaGirl
01-27-2007, 02:11 AM
I'm sorry but it's wrong to write letters to a judge about a case. It's the judges job to decide a case and punishment based on the law and the facts of the case NOt public openion or letters from people who weren't in the court room but read an article in the paper. Otherwise we may as well televise trials and have the jury the the public phoning in. sure nightly trial TV instead of american idol. Really we don't even need a trial just read or watch a report and phone in the verdict. Or better yet go back to public lynchings of anyone we don't like. After all it's majority rule and if you can get a crowd behind you to write letters the judge will go along.

It's also a Crime to try and influence a judge.

It's a little more exceptable to write a DA and ask them to ask the judge for the max sentence or to peruse a case but not writing a judge dirrectly.

finn's mom
01-27-2007, 05:43 AM
How old are these "men?" If they're young enough, I would think counseling would be in order. It's a bit much to say that every human person who committed a heinous crime against a non-human animal would therefore commit a similarly heinous crime against another human. And, I'm not saying I'm not horrified by this, because I am. It's sickening to the worst degree to think of what these people did to a helpless creature. :( But, again, if these "men" are teenagers, I might reconsider life in prison. But then I don't know where I'd have the cutoff age at, either. I don't know what I'd consider instead, as I don't know the restraints of the law really, but I don't think life in prison is necessarily appropriate just based on this. Poor dog. :( He must have been so afraid. :( Crap, now I'm crying. :(

borzoimom
01-27-2007, 09:08 AM
This is a Horrid PIECE of news- and also those that do crimes to animals are shown to also even later in life for domestic abuse etc.
There was a news item lately of a man getting 90 days in jail for releasing his dogs on someone to attack.. Everyone was horrified with this sentence. However- as I found out later- the judge felt the case had turned into a 'witch hunt".. To send such letters may have the same effect with a lighter sentence. Also I am not sure if it is a crime to send a letter to a judge for sentencing unless you are part of the party injured- but I would suspect so.. I am also confused it was referenced to be men- then juveniles- .. We have had several dog cases in Virginia that have had to go to other counties in order to insure " a fair trail", and "avoid a witch hunt". ( Perfect example was the sniper case we had up here...)
This whole story makes me sick- and I believe the people are either seriously mentally unbalenced- or the sons of Satan.. I believe the judge has a tough decission here.. But I also agree- I think writing a form letter to a judge may very well be against the law..

wombat2u2004
01-27-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm with Tamandua girl on this one.
The judge is there to apply the law, and I'm certain that she will do so based on the facts presented before the court and on any precedent set for a previous similar crime.
Letter writing is not a good idea, I doubt very much that public opnion would sway a good judge's decision.

one_of_shadow_&_Nillas_humans
01-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Unfortunately, like stated above, while the sentiment is nice, the Judge isn't going to take emotional sides. He/She is there because after many years in a law school and a practice they have proved themselves to be judicious enough to dispense the law and the rulings therein.

While this outrages me as an avid animal lover, writing letters to the judge won't make it much different then what the law states in this case. The boys (as i refuse to call them men) will get what they deserve not only in the eyes of the law but also with the general public. This sounds like one of those "You can't fix stupid" cases with the boys. They're cruel and its inexcusable.

cassiesmom
01-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Have any methods ever been shown to successfully deter people (especially kids) from animal cruelty? The two things that upset me about this the most are how much the dog suffered and the likelihood that this is not the last case we'll ever hear about. Especially in light of what borzoimom said - that people convicted of other crimes have also been shown to have a history of animal cruelty. *shiver*

Reachoutrescue
01-27-2007, 07:54 PM
I heard about this horrible act. I am definetly sending in a letter....God I hope those kids fry!!!

Daisy and Delilah
01-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Most every judge will make their decision based on the facts in a case. I agree with that 100%.
I would hope that a huge outpouring of public interest/sympathy would at least be reported statistically by the media. If we are unable to sway the decision, and, I believe we probably are, at least our voices would be heard. The end to this cruelty has to start somewhere. As an animal lover, I feel I might be doing a little bit to help bring these atrocities more into public view. Perhaps, in the long run, awareness will be more prevalent.

For whatever it's worth, I mailed my letter this morning.

I have to add, in most of these cases, unfortunately, it seems that the violators never receive the punishment that they should be given. Most of them get off way too easily. :( :mad: