PDA

View Full Version : Posting Threads in the Wrong Spot

BC_MoM
01-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Lately, I've been finding LOTS of members (new and old) posting pictures of their cats, dogs, whatever.. in the General section. What is so difficult about posting in the appropriate section??

DOG GENERAL, CAT GENERAL and PET GENERAL were all created for a reason.

Randi
01-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Oh, I agree, but some think that their threads will be viewed more if they post it in Cat/Dog/Pet General - and it just might be the case.

When I open PT, I normally go to Todays Posts first, so I'll see them all, at least to begin with. :)

However, it would be easier if you want to do a Search for a specific thread later, if they were posted in the appropiate section.

Karen has been known to move threads which are posted in the wrong section.

slick
01-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Doesn't bother me one bit.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Doesn't bother me either. I just click on "New Posts" when I come here. :)

BC_MoM
01-26-2007, 04:27 PM
I didn't say I'm bothered by it.

I'm wondering WHY they do it. Why would someone post many pictures of their dogs in General instead of Dog General? I just don't get it.

finn's mom
01-26-2007, 04:44 PM
I didn't say I'm bothered by it.

I'm wondering WHY they do it. Why would someone post many pictures of their dogs in General instead of Dog General? I just don't get it.

You could always ask the person doing it. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Sometimes it's accidental (I did that once, a long time ago) and other times it's because they have more than one kind of pet (dogs & cats together, for instance) and don't feel like making two separate threads in each section when they can just go to general and create one. Atleast, that's how I've always viewed the reason behind it.

K9soul
01-26-2007, 05:33 PM
I think some people feel they have made a lot of friends in both the "dog side" and the "cat side" so they post in general so that dog or cat people who don't normally go to the other side may see it. Sometimes people have posted that they are posting something in the 'wrong' section, i.e. a dog health thread in dog general, because they feel they may get more views/input. Some people have posted a memorial for a pet in pet general because they feel not many will go to pet memorial. Sometimes they post pictures of all their pets, but don't post in in pet general because they feel not many will see it there. Sometimes it's probably an accident. Probably there are many different reasons for it :)

As for me, I'm more likely to miss a thread in general than anywhere else, just because it scrolls by so fast.

RedHedd
01-26-2007, 07:22 PM
I've noticed a lot of this lately. It's usually the newer and younger members who do this. Yes, it bugs me a bit too, but then I think .... whatever, they'll learn eventually or they'll go away:rolleyes:

BC_MoM
01-26-2007, 07:27 PM
they'll go away:rolleyes:

LOL!!

Thanks for clearing this up for me everyone. ;)

Freedom
01-26-2007, 08:29 PM
I've noticed a lot of this lately. It's usually the newer and younger members who do this. Yes, it bugs me a bit too, but then I think .... whatever, they'll learn eventually or they'll go away:rolleyes:

When it is a newbie, I will send a PM advising there will be more and faster replies if they move it to XXX section. Sometimes, if I am particularly charitable that day, I will do a cross post.

As for the rest, I agree with you!!!! It seems to be the younger set. They just don't get it.

Karen
01-26-2007, 08:36 PM
You can always PM me, and I will move the thread to the appropriate section and PM the person. I do that many many times.

luvofallhorses
01-26-2007, 08:42 PM
hey, I do that if I don't want to post both in the dog and cat section. ;) lol, rarely ever, though.. I have once or twice. but yeah I can understand that but if it's in the wrong section and you have a problem with it, PM Karen or Paul. :)

DrKym
01-27-2007, 01:40 AM
I think some people feel they have made a lot of friends in both the "dog side" and the "cat side" so they post in general so that dog or cat people who don't normally go to the other side may see it. Sometimes people have posted that they are posting something in the 'wrong' section, i.e. a dog health thread in dog general, because they feel they may get more views/input. Some people have posted a memorial for a pet in pet general because they feel not many will go to pet memorial. Sometimes they post pictures of all their pets, but don't post in in pet general because they feel not many will see it there. Sometimes it's probably an accident. Probably there are many different reasons for it :)

As for me, I'm more likely to miss a thread in general than anywhere else, just because it scrolls by so fast.

I am guilty of this, especially with the kitten pics as the dogs are never far from them....................If it is innappropriate let me know :( , I felt it was easier than 2 threads. Sorry all :eek:

Miss Z
01-27-2007, 03:35 AM
As for the rest, I agree with you!!!! It seems to be the younger set. They just don't get it.

Actually, I think the majority of the 'younger set' gets it very well and I've seen just as many older people doing exactly the same thing.

As for newbies, I think it's just a forgivable offence. I'm pretty sure that whilst I was new, I posted the odd thread in the wrong place and had it moved. Really, it's no big deal to me, perhaps because I just usually view 'New Posts' instead of going through each forum, so I tend not to notice where a thread has been posted.

I agree with K9soul about the reasons why people post threads in certain forums.

trayi52
01-27-2007, 06:44 AM
It doesn't bother me, I usually go to New Posts first when I come here anyway. I, then go search the others too.

Willie :)

critter crazy
01-27-2007, 07:14 AM
It doesn't bother me, I usually go to New Posts first when I come here anyway. I, then go search the others too.

same here, thats exactly what i do!:)

Alysser
01-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Actually, I think the majority of the 'younger set' gets it very well and I've seen just as many older people doing exactly the same thing.

I agree. It seems we younger members get blamed for alot of stuff on pettalk, and that bugs me.

I could care less where it is posted. I agree with k9soul. It doesn't bother me at all.

Daisy and Delilah
01-27-2007, 09:47 PM
If I see something that interests me, I'll open it, no matter where it is. It doesn't bother me at all either. :) I like seeing pics of everyone's pets. :)

Flatcoatluver
01-27-2007, 10:18 PM
I agree. It seems we younger members get blamed for alot of stuff on pettalk, and that bugs me.

Add me to the list, it really earks me when this happens!

Anyway it doesn't bother me because I have done it before in the past, I am sorry that it makes so many members annoyed.

Daisy and Delilah
01-27-2007, 10:38 PM
I just have to say that you younger people are a whole lot smarter than I am when it comes to computers and such. I personally think we have some wonderful younger members on this board. The younger members bring a fresh perspective to the table. :)

Pam
01-28-2007, 06:13 AM

Me too. :)

Randi
01-29-2007, 02:37 PM
I understand that some people can get confused about where to post things if they have several different kinds of animals, but still, it's really not so difficult, is it?

Only today, I saw a perfect example: Someone had replied to a thread in Cat General, and obviously assumed it was about a cat! It wasn't.

Since we're so many members now, we can't all keep track of every single pet here. It's just impossible.

GreyhoundGirl
01-29-2007, 02:40 PM

I'm glad I'm not the first person to comment on this... :(

Queen of Poop
01-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Count me in with the group that says it doesn't bother me. I too go to new posts first. I'm just happy to see photos of all the animals, birds, fish, etc.

Kalei
01-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Yeah it doesn't bother me either, I just think "oh well, they didn't post it in the right section, just a simple mistake. No one should get overly annoyed with it. I also agree that PetTalk sometimes seems to blame the younger people for problems alot, just because someone is young doesn't mean they have any less knowledge of the site or computers. I'm 19 and I can't remember ever posting anything in the wrong section, but if I did it would be accidental and I wouldn't have done it to annoy anyone. I think younger people should stop getting blamed for so many things. My mom is 45 and she doesn't even know how to use the internet properly, much less a website.

EDIT: haha sorry I just read that other thread that is about blaming younger people and it made me feel better:)

momoffuzzyfaces
01-30-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm guilty!!! :eek:

If it's about some critter or bird in my yard or something. Since they aren't my "pets" I post them under general. :D

Husky_mom
01-30-2007, 02:51 PM
I think (at least my point of view) referring the blame to youngsters is mainly to young members not young of age.......or so i see it that way.......

I myself as a young member in any forum I often post threads someplace else, but then as i got used to it and learned the different section I grew in the forum

so no need to feel bad........and reading something that should be on another section doesn´t bother me at all.........been there done that.......so I think i can understand and let it be..........

i usually read the generals (all four) and go back till the day i last went....and later i get on new posts to see all sections adn read from there on.......

mike001
02-20-2007, 12:30 PM
I could be one of the guilty parties, but I'm still learning the ropes. I just posted a thread about the Wal-Mart incident and I don't know if it's in the right place. I'll try to be more careful if I did make a mistake.
If it's in the wrong place, would Karen be kind enough to put it where it belongs please...Thanks. :)

RedHedd
02-20-2007, 04:51 PM
I don't do the "new posts' thing as it's too much and my time is limited. I tend to hang in the Cat section and if I have time, I'll visit General and the DogHouse. I sometimes wonder why there are cat or dog pics posted in General, but then I think .... whatever, they probably don't know.