PDA

View Full Version : RAW Chicken Breasts

lute
01-25-2007, 10:19 PM
I work in a Deli at the local grocery store. Part of my job is to fry chicken. We get these bags of raw chicken parts that we deepfry. I've been bringing home raw chicken breasts for Gracie and Charlie to eat. They seem to love them. Is it ok to be feeding them this? What about any other part of the chicken? legs, wings and theighs?

.sarah
01-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Yes, they're fine. If you trust them to chew properly, the other parts you mentioned are also fine. My Labs don't chew well so I generally feed them bigger pieces - like quarters or half chickens.

lute
01-25-2007, 11:00 PM
I know RAW is what a lot of people are feeding. I don't know much on what is ok to feed and what isn't. Is it ok to feed the dogs ONLY raw chicken? If I could get a hold on this RAW thing I'd like to try it.

DrKym
01-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Lute there are a bunch of websites to help, I have been feeding RAW since1979, so if you want a bit of clarification etc, PM me.

There as as many RAW diets as there are loving owners, some you critters will love ,some they may not like. It is a bit of trial and error, but honestly, once you get the hang of it feeding is a breeze and so MUCH cheaper! not to mention healthier and amazing for their coats and their teeth etc.

wolfsoul
01-25-2007, 11:07 PM
My two love chicken thighs! :) As long as you feed organs along with the chicken meat, you can definatly comprise their entire diet of raw chicken.

.sarah
01-25-2007, 11:45 PM
I disagree, I think variety is important in a raw diet - both body parts and types of animals. I personally think you need at least four different animal sources, and add in whatever you can get. Different meats are rich in different nutrients that are important for good health.

lute
01-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks. I'm gonna google Raw diets and see what I can find out. Is ground beef good for dogs?

CathyBogart
01-26-2007, 12:57 AM
Personally, I don't feed any raw ground meat, and here's my reasoning....

Most bacteria that is going to be in meat will be on its surface, where a thorough washing with cool water will get rid of it. However, with ground meat, any bacteria that was on the surface of the meat when it went into the grinder is now all throughout the meat.

I realize that freezing the meat is probably going to kill most of the bad stuff, but I'm a little paranoid when it comes to ground meat. Just my two cents. :)

Reachoutrescue
01-26-2007, 01:11 AM
I just started feeding my pups and rescue pups a mixture of Raw ground beef, chicken breast, carrots, peas, and some dog food (to wean them off the dog food). My vet said it is the best for them. He also said there are more chamber in a dogs stomach then in a humans. Where food goes through us quickly, our body can not "cook" off the toxins. In a dog, they keep the food in their bellies longer so their body's stomach acids "cook" off the toxins. He said "Dogs and Cats don't cook their rabbits and deer in the wild". My dogs love it and I have seen no problems yet. I even give my kits and rescue kits a little of the raw beef and chicken once a day. They are in heaven when they eat it!! Hope this helps Lute.

lute
01-26-2007, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the advice.

borzoimom
01-26-2007, 06:51 AM
I work in a Deli at the local grocery store. Part of my job is to fry chicken. We get these bags of raw chicken parts that we deepfry. I've been bringing home raw chicken breasts for Gracie and Charlie to eat. They seem to love them. Is it ok to be feeding them this? What about any other part of the chicken? legs, wings and theighs?
OH MY STARS!! CAN I HAVE SOME???
Totally raw- yes not only are they just perfect for a raw diet, they are the easy to digest..
Only big caution I want to say- you can not put in something with any type of 'bone' matter if you also feed kibble type diets. The reason- the kibble digests slower- slowing down the bone making it hard as the calcium is removed from the bone.. If you want to feed raw its best to do totally raw then mix.
If you want a easy receipe- let me know- as you know- I have been feeding raw for 19 years now..

borzoimom
01-26-2007, 06:53 AM
I just started feeding my pups and rescue pups a mixture of Raw ground beef, chicken breast, carrots, peas, and some dog food (to wean them off the dog food). My vet said it is the best for them. He also said there are more chamber in a dogs stomach then in a humans. Where food goes through us quickly, our body can not "cook" off the toxins. In a dog, they keep the food in their bellies longer so their body's stomach acids "cook" off the toxins. He said "Dogs and Cats don't cook their rabbits and deer in the wild". My dogs love it and I have seen no problems yet. I even give my kits and rescue kits a little of the raw beef and chicken once a day. They are in heaven when they eat it!! Hope this helps Lute.
This is precisely right- and very well said Reachoutrescue!

Lady's Human
01-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Might I suggest looking at the numerous threads in dog health related to this?

No need to start the argument over again.

borzoimom
01-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Lute there are a bunch of websites to help, I have been feeding RAW since1979, so if you want a bit of clarification etc, PM me.

There as as many RAW diets as there are loving owners, some you critters will love ,some they may not like. It is a bit of trial and error, but honestly, once you get the hang of it feeding is a breeze and so MUCH cheaper! not to mention healthier and amazing for their coats and their teeth etc.
It costs me half what it would if I fed a good dog food- and I agree- they are healthier because of it. My vet contributes hottie going from at 2 years old lucky to make 5 years old, to having just turned 9 years old. His bones are stronger even with this terrible disease- .. I know so many others that had this same disease that their dogs didnt make even 6 years old..
Truth be told- I went to raw after I lost a girl to bloat. Continuing to have deep chested dogs- it continued.. I also know alot of other breeders that feed raw, and they have seen the same results.. I think you and I came out of the same fear era- too many chemicals in dog foods, poor processing, and extrusion causing the kibble to swell in the heat of the gut..
I tried to put mine back on a kibble for a month in December for my own physical reasons. I sweated it every day- and not worth the worry.. And btw- as many of you remember- Hottie was terribly stiff all month- giving us another scare..