PDA

View Full Version : Finger Nail help needed

catnapper
01-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Hey gang, now that I'm going ot have a job where appearance will count, I want to start making little changes, like my hair, makeup and nails. I can handle the hair and makeup part. Its the nails that baffle me.

I went to a nail salon once and will never ever step foot in one ever again. I can shape my nails myself and keep them a "workable" length that is good for my artwork and doesn't get in the way with dog training. They're not long by any definition but they aren't terribly short either.

But my problem is that my nails are very thin and split. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem. I like the natural look, so what is out there to help my nails? A certain clear coat polish? A buffer? A serum?

I don't have any white spots, no ridges, etc. They are healthy looking nails, just thin and fragile. Anyone have any ideas? What works for you?

DrKym
01-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Sally Hansen Hard as Nails in Lavender tint!

Stuff is magic in a bottle and leaves the barest trace of color, the lavendar is so complimentary to all skin tones just seems to make the nails glow from within, love it love it love it.

Catty1
01-25-2007, 09:30 PM
I was also told to take Biotin, and forget gelatin!

I'll try the Sally Hansen - my mom used it, it's a time-proven product!

BitsyNaceyDog
01-25-2007, 11:18 PM
My sister is an esthetician, I'll ask her if she can recommed anything.

Maresche
01-26-2007, 07:48 AM
I also agree with the Sally Hansen Hard as Nails, but I use it in clear. Adds just a touch of shine but that's it. I strip and repolish about once a week.

catnapper
01-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Ok, this is going to sound completely stupid.... but will the Sally Hansen stuff really help? My experience with nail polish is it chips as fast as I put it on and makes my nails break faster :o

Cataholic
01-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Skip the Sally Hansen stuff....buy Nailtique! It is the ONLY thing that kept my nails intact when I was working out with free weights.

RedHedd
01-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Biotin, a glass nail file - file in one dierction only, cuticle oil/cream applied frequently (2-3 x day and at night before bed). A good nail strenghener - Essie Millionails or Nailtek are extremely good.

Do-it-yourself manicures are not difficult. A good basecoat - Orly Bonder or Seche Vite Ridgefiller help the polish stay on, 2-3 coats polish and a good topcoat - Seche Vite or Poshe are the best.

borzoimom
01-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Well at the risk of going in the opposite direction- I was always told nail polish makes the nails weaker. And geletin actually does nothing for the nails or hair.. Just a good general womans vitamin like at GNC ...
My nails are longer on my left hand that right- I guess its because I do more with my right hand including writing.
What I have found- is rubbing vaseline on the hands- especially around the cuticles etc makes them grow faster-.. You would think it would soften the nail too- but it doesn't, and I have been doing this for years. I rub it on about 30 minutes before bed.

Pawsitive Thinking
01-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Never mind the nails, what's the job???

Queen of Poop
01-26-2007, 08:54 AM
I have thin, weak, generally crappy fingernails. So every 3 weeks I go see my nail tech and have acrylic and gel put on over my own natural nails. Gives me the strength I naturally lack and makes my nails look awesome.

jackie
01-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Take silica tablets.

They with make your nails and hair stronger. I also use a nail harder every few days, and the let my nails "breathe" every sunday (without anything on them).

catnapper
01-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Never mind the nails, what's the job???
:D Thanks for asking.

I'm going to be the instore designer for a furniture store. Its going to pay a lot more than a design position with a prestigious firm, which surprised the heck out of me because you'd think it would be that this job would be pretty low. I'll be on the sales floor helping the sales people, then going to people's homes and helping them pick out furniture, lamps, accessories, etc. I am so excited, especially since I've never done residentail design fulltime before (did it part time just out of college, then "fell" into office design a few years later.)

borzoimom
01-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Take silica tablets.

They with make your nails and hair stronger. I also use a nail harder every few days, and the let my nails "breathe" every sunday (without anything on them).
Silica? Wow- is that a vitamin supplement you get and where?

sirrahved
01-26-2007, 09:18 AM
OPI has a great... and I mean great product! I can't remember the name, but if you find a salon that carries OPI they should be able to help you out. I used it before my wedding. I went from stubs to pretty nails in just a few months. It completely took care of peeling/bending that leaves my nails the way they normally look.

jackie
01-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Silica? Wow- is that a vitamin supplement you get and where?

Just ask in your local pharmacy. :)

Lobodeb
01-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Would you consider getting a gel overlay? Gel nails aren't as damaging as acrylic and look great! They're very tough, too. You don't have to get them long, either. Just tell them that you want it over your natural nail. The downside is that you have to go every 3-4 weeks to get them redone.

Freedom
01-26-2007, 09:36 AM
I use the vaseline as well. My nails break in this cold weather we are having now, as soon as I touch the car or the mail box.

I never liked using polish too much work to put it on, wait for the fast drying stuff to dry. Then it chips right away. And the color never goes with what I am wearing today, it went with yesterday's outfit. Sigh. So I gave up on that.

I can shape them, like you said. And I use a buffer now and then to get a shine.

But the vaseline, that did the trick for me!

Lobodeb
01-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Oh! And if you want to use a polish that stays, I recommend Avon. That stuff would stay on for a week with minimal chipping.

RedHedd
01-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Biotin or silica can be purchased at GNC or any good health store - I like Vitamineshoppe.com - can't beat them for their prices.

Acrylics are very damaging to the natural nail. It sounds like your goal is to have your own nails become naturally healthy. Any moisturizer (vaseline, cuticle oil - I like Solar Oil or Burt's Bees lemon butter cuticle stuff) used regularly will help the nails too.

Buffers should be used very carefully and not too often - you don't want to buff your nails away and it can weaken the nailbed.

The Opi stuff Sirahved mentioned I think is their Nail Envy. Some people like it; I hate it - it's expensive and didn't work for me.

For a whole slew of good nail tips, visit the gals at the MakeupAlley.com nail board. Yes, that's me there too - this little RedHedd, with now-beautiful nails thanks to what I've learned there, gets around! ;)

P.S. Congrats on the new job! It sounds exciting!

moosmom
01-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Sally Hansen's Maximum Growth works really well. You put a coat on per day for a week, then take it off and start over. It strengthens them alot and helps them grow. I've used it for many years and swear by the stuff. Now it comes in clear and colors.

Catsnclay
01-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Take silica tablets.

Silica??? Really?? I use silica with my clay work and have always been told not to breathe it in, because it is bad for you!

I wonder if it is the same?! :confused:

As for weak nails, I too have the same problem. I have the acrylic nails put over my nails too. They look pretty and it keeps me from biting my cuiticles :o a very bad habit, I know!

I was once told by a doctor to take pre natel vitamins for better nails! Never tried it, but if you do look at the nails of a pregnant woman they do have fantastic nails!!

Catty1
01-27-2007, 07:58 PM
I picked up some silica tablets from my health food store (horse tail, the owner tells me :eek: ) and some Sally Hansen stuff.

Ask me in a month! :D

catnapper
01-28-2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks again guys! I will stop by Walmart sometime this afternoon and check out their nail section. I start the job tuesday so I'll play beauty salon monday :)

borzoimom
01-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Silica??? Really?? I use silica with my clay work and have always been told not to breathe it in, because it is bad for you!

I wonder if it is the same?! :confused:

As for weak nails, I too have the same problem. I have the acrylic nails put over my nails too. They look pretty and it keeps me from biting my cuiticles :o a very bad habit, I know!

I was once told by a doctor to take pre natel vitamins for better nails! Never tried it, but if you do look at the nails of a pregnant woman they do have fantastic nails!!
The best my nails ever where was when I was on prenatal vitamins when I was pregnant.. Good point! But now I am not supposed to take high powered womans vitamins- I only take calcium and b complex..