PDA

View Full Version : At A Loss

K & L
01-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Granted I'm more stressed right now than normal with all the cat sicknesses that have been going on and me being sick...but...I'm finding it harder and harder to deal with Leila. I just don't know what to do with her. A little history:

Leila was dumped at the park and friendly enough we were worried for her there. We brought her home in hopes to get her in a no-kill shelter or one of PetsMart adoptions centers. We soon began to see Leila had some real issues, and probably why she was dumped.

She does not get along with anyone in the household, except she tolerates Chowder to a degree. She has pretty much a nasty disposition although she will turn, and be ever so slightly, gentle and loving. But the worst thing is her peeing. We've had her checked out and it is not a medical issue, it's all behavioral. We have kept her secluded to our bedroom, which she adjusted to rather well, but is now wanting out more and more. When I let her out she pees and causes fights.

I know with her issues she's pretty much unadoptable. I hate to adopt her out only to have them not have the patience that we have and get rid of her in a manner I wouldn't like.

So what do I do? I'm tired of cleaning pee and catering to her needs only to still have havoc here. HELP!

barncat
01-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Is ther any feasable way of making her a secure outdoor enclosure? I have a couple of unadoptable pee-ers and I'm planning the construction of a partly outdoor enclosure this summer that will hopefully help with the issues.

On the other hand she might do fine in a one cat home. Could you work with a shelter that would have "new" owners return her to you if she did not work out?

jennielynn1970
01-25-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm going through the same thing with my foster, Furbee. She is so unpleasant with the rest of the cats, just shrieks and screams when they come near her. She pees all over the kitchen area. Counters, sink, stove, into the vents of the microwave, heat registers too. :eek:

It's very frustrating. I'm so tired of the smell of cat pee, and cleaning it up. I haven't made an appt. at the vet yet this week, just too many other things going on with my father's health. I know it's behavioral, but nothing seems to help. If you find anything that does, please, let me know!!

Catty1
01-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Did you try Nancy, that psychic, yet?

Seems to have really helped people here.

Catty1
01-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Also bestfriends.org

They have a place for special needs cats (I think emotional trauma can go in there), but they might have some good ideas.

Have you thought of trannies from the vet? Either you or Jenn??

hugs

rg_girlca
01-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Oh Lisa {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

I know others probably won't agree with this, but what about putting her back into the park. After all, isn't that what you do? Trap, Neuter, Release. You can only do so much for her and Lord knows you have tried your best. The number one priority, in my opinion, is "YOU" Getting stressed out by this is NOT good for your health or your crew.

OR, do you think she would adjust to being an only cat?

Lizzie
01-25-2007, 08:55 PM
I empathise with you. The ones that force us to act in a way that is against our dreams of giving them the best life possible make us weep with frustration. It seems to me that your choices are:

Mood-altering drugs. But it can take months for these to kick in, they don't always work, and even when they do it's not a total fix. Taranis has been on Prozac for about six months. She rarely pees on things any more but she still can't stand having other cats near her. She's been bounced into four homes so far and is unadoptable.

Cat run. I don't think you have room for one more and she'd cause fights in there also. I hate the fact that LOS is in one bedroom with twice daily access to the garden and beyond. I know she could get hurt out there, die out there, but she needs exercise and if with the others she does nothing but hiss, growl and fight, causing great disruptions. Tom is her companion and he'd douse my entire downstairs if I let him out of their room. Since Thumper is already doing a good job on this, I don't want the two of them to start a competition! They may have shorter lives, but I can't do more for them.

Park. It's the only solution that will truly free you and all your other cats from the terrible strain you are all under. You may have to sacrifice this one to the rigors of park living in order to give many others the life they need.

I'm with you and Jenn on trying to live with the ever-present smell of cat pee. Fortunately, that's only in the downstairs rooms for me now but it's still back-breaking and dis-heartening.

kimlovescats
01-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Like you said, Lisa, you only brought her home from the park because she appeared to be so tame. Well, she is people-friendly, but not indoor-catlife friendly. Knowing that your park kitties are safe and fed regularly, I wouldn't think that releasing her back there would be questionable at all. She obviously is stressed and is stressing the other resident cats and YOU too! Whatever you decide, I support you 100%! ;)

Kim

K & L
01-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Is there any feasible way of making her a secure outdoor enclosure?

We have a large one now that has many cats in it. Leila would do even worse out there among them. She would have no escape route to go to get away from them.

On the other hand she might do fine in a one cat home. Could you work with a shelter that would have "new" owners return her to you if she did not work out?

Our shelters don’t work that way. When we turn a cat over to them we sign paperwork that we relinquish ownership to them. They could notify us if the cat was returned, but we would have to go through the adoption process to get her back. The only way this would work is if we found someone on our own, explained her problem, and then hope they would call us to return her.

Did you try Nancy, that psychic, yet?

No, I personally have just not gotten into the psychic thing as of yet. I’m not saying they don’t work; I just haven’t bought into it yet. I’m getting desperate enough it could be an option for me though.

Have you thought of trannies from the vet?

I’m assuming your talking diapers here? IF we could even get them on Leila, we’re not home all day long so this wouldn’t work except for a few hours out of the day. Plus the fact her temperament would probably not even give us a chance to get them on her. Leila is a very moody cat. One minute she may be as sweet as pie, and the next she growling, hissing, and swatting you. Sometimes she’s just sitting and I’ll walk by her and she’ll, in a mean way, attack. This is why I really don’t feel she’s adoptable and anyone would tolerate her.

But what about putting her back into the park. After all, isn't that what you do?

Yes, we TNR but for ferals. It’s not easy for a tame to survive in the park. For one, they are way too friendly for all the people that come and go there. Even though Leila is temperamental, she did come to us when we took her home. Sadly there are those that have done some terrible things to some of the animals there. Second, with Leila not being able to get along with other cats there is no way she’d be accepted into the colony. Getting food etc. could be very hard for her.

Park. It's the only solution that will truly free you and all your other cats from the terrible strain you are all under. You may have to sacrifice this one to the rigors of park living in order to give many others the life they need.

I wish it were as simple as that, but as you can see from the above answer it isn’t. I would rather put her down than put here somewhere I didn’t feel she could survive and might come to a horrible death, know what I mean?

I sure appreciate everyone’s thoughts and answers here because maybe eventually someone will think of something that might work. It’s very frustrating but when I make a commitment, like rescuing a cat, I cannot just give up and push it aside no matter how frustrated I feel. *sigh* I just wish she’d get a clue and no how good she has it!

Lizzie
01-26-2007, 09:48 AM
I knew she would be in danger from people because she is social to humans, but I didn't realize how much. And I didn't think about her not being accepted into the colony, though I should have. We are more concerned about you than Leila at this point, but your main concern is the cat.

I believe by trannies, the poster meant tranquilizers. I can't remember if you've tried those. Given Leila's personality, you may have to go for something heavier than Prozac, something like Buspar. Although then you will have a zombie on your hands part of the time.

K & L
01-26-2007, 09:58 AM
I believe by trannies, the poster meant tranquilizers. I can't remember if you've tried those. Given Leila's personality, you may have to go for something heavier than Prozac, something like Buspar. Although then you will have a zombie on your hands part of the time.

DUH! I should've know that! Yes, that will be my first thought and try. Maybe it will calm her nerves down a bit!

K & L
01-26-2007, 10:00 AM
We are more concerned about you than Leila at this point, but your main concern is the cat.

I sure appreciate that! I'm afraid I'd be even more a basket case if I didn't know what happened to her! :)

Pawsitive Thinking
01-26-2007, 10:04 AM
She is lucky to have you - not much help I know but too many would have given up on her by now

catmandu
01-26-2007, 06:07 PM
That Has To Be About The Hardest Thing To Have A Cat That You Want To Help But Cant.
I Hope That Theres Someway You Can Help That Poor Cat Out.

jazzcat
01-26-2007, 08:20 PM
What a bad situation. I do suggest you try valium or something like that for her. We use it on Ripley now and then to help him chill out which in turns curbs his urge to spray. His is all stress and behavioral so if stress is her issue then medicating her would probably help at least some. Definitely worth trying and with Valium I see a quick affect. It doesn't take long to work on him. I do hate to see him drugged but honestly it's better than him being stressed, pulling out his fur and peeing inappropriately. He's just one laid back happy guy.