PDA

View Full Version : LA Weight Loss

slick
01-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Has anyone every joined up??? What are your thoughts about them??

I've been promised that I can reach my goal weight in 40 weeks and it will only cost me $840. :eek: :eek: This really does seem extreme and all I get for that is a meal plan and some moral support with my 3x week visits. :confused:

Freedom
01-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Sorry, I have never used them or any others.

But . . . maybe this may mean something to you. My doctor says only use Weight Watchers. My insurance co says only use Weight Watchers. The nurse at the senior center, where my Dad goes, says only use Weight Watchers. The folks at the YMCA where I used to belong, said only use Weight Watchers If you consider the source, maybe this will help you decide.

BC_MoM
01-25-2007, 05:54 PM
No way. Stuff like this is BOGUS. My grandma was in the hospital for MONTHS after going on something like this.

Losing weight fast attracts people ~ but it is NOT healthy and you will put all of that weight back on even faster than it originally came.

Go with Weight Watchers or Curves. EXCERSISE and eating food in MODERATION is key.

Nomilynn
01-25-2007, 05:59 PM
There was recently an big expose about LA Weight Loss on CTV. I didn't watch the story but I'm sure it will be on their website. Maybe check that out before you join?

Best of luck!

Catty1
01-25-2007, 06:00 PM
First of all, GOOD JOB on wanting to look after your health, and looking into ways to do it! :) Like you haven't been thru enough! :eek:

Did you know...

"diet" comes from a Greek word meaning "way of life"?

I am back on my nutrition program...because it will be a way of life.

I am more interested in developing a way of life rather than going "on" something that "stops" one day. Unless I keep paying for it.

I got to my goal weight (where it felt good for ME, not some arbitrary chart). Then I just modified my way of doing things.

I think the question to ask is what do you do when you get to goal weight?

I like the title of Suzanne Powter's long-ago book which I think answers the health and weight question perfectly:

EAT, BREATHE and MOVE.

Being an addictive type, I have to be careful not to look for the answers in food - how I use, eat, manipulate. This is just me, ok? It's like when I used to look for the answer in booze...there was SO much more to it than that.

like Breathing and Moving.

Still working on the last one! :D

Catty1
01-25-2007, 06:07 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1726147#post1726147

Uabassoon
01-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Alexa tried them out once and hated it. The diet plan was VERY limiting, and each time she went in they were rude to her if she didn't lose enough weight. After about 2 weeks she gave up.

I really love weight watchers. I lost around 50 lbs on the program, and the great thing is that it isn't a "diet" it taught me how to make good food choices. I've kept the weight off because it taught me how to properly portion my food and just make smarter choices.

slick
01-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks guys and thanks Candace but I don't want to take any extra supplements until I talk to my doctor. I just need some guidance. I need to learn about portion control. I want to eat foods I can buy at my local grocery store. I don't want to measure everything...although for portion control I realize I'll have to at some point. Maybe WW has something other that the points program. I just might check them out. I can't join Curves because they don't stay open late enough for me. I'm an exercise after work kinda gal and they close at 7pm. I can't get there in time for a 30-min workout.

I can't do this alone....I need someone to kick me in the butt and if it means going to meetings 3 x a week, then I'll do it. Don't just tell me to exercise and eat right, 'cause it aint gonna happen. It's like telling a smoker to just put down the cigarettes. Some can do it without any outside help and others need a push.

This cancer experience has made me think long and hard about my health. I wanna grow old enough to attend Gini's BBQ toothless and "gum" my way through the BBQ ribs and chicken. :D

Catty1
01-25-2007, 08:03 PM
If - IF - this applies, and only IF - there are 12 step meetings for Overeaters Anonymous. I went for a number of years. It helps with 'what's eating me' while I am free to choose a food and living plan. It's NOT a diet group - it's for if you have 'foodaholism' or are a junk food junkie.

A suggestion only.

http://www.oa.org/is_oa.html

They have only 15 questions instead of AA's 20! WHEW! :D

Uabassoon
01-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Slick WW has two plans, core and flex. Core gives you a list of healthy foods and you can eat any of those foods on the list, then in addition you get a certain amount of weekly points to spend on treats, wine or anything that isn't on the list. That plan is great for people who don't want to count up everything that you eat.

I love the flex plan, you get to eat your own foods and count up the points. It is much easier than you'd think. You start to learn what a portion size so after a while you really don't need to measure or weigh them. In fact I don't think I ever had to weigh anything. I will still measure using my measuring cups on certains foods, but that's about it.

jackmilliesmom
01-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Definitely Weight Watchers is a good one I am on the points plan too and it so easy I love the way I have learned to portion out my meals and also I am getting more of my five a day fruit and veg in. I drink more water and less cafine, but if I feel like a treat I ahve it and if I break my points limit today I just start all over again tomorrow so far there has not been a week where I have gained weight all I do stay static or lose but I lose more than I stay static. Check out their website www.weightwatchers.com (http://www.weightwatchers.com) and find out where your nearest meeting is or if you have enough people see if they can come to you which ever is better.

catnapper
01-26-2007, 08:22 AM
I knew someone who went through LA weight loss and lost a lot of weight quickly. Then she got very sick, and the doctor said it was because she wasn't eating right. As soon as she got on a medical diet, she lost the weight she wanted to lose.... s-l-o-w-l-y.

I've been losing wieght lately, slowly, and I'm just starting to see a difference. Its painstaking how slow my progress is but I see a little difference. 4 months ago, the pants I wore the other day were uncomfortably tight and now they are actually quite baggy. That felt great! :) The more I see things fitting looser, the more I want to see progress. But I know I can't rush it because I'll gain it all back just as fast as I lose it. I have to print up a photo of a turtle or something to remind myself of SLOW.

JenBKR
01-26-2007, 08:40 AM
I did LA Weight Loss for a while, and I did lose weight. I lost about 20 lbs in 4 months. The weight loss was slow for me, about 2 lbs. a week on average, which is healthy. I liked what I was eating, wasn't really all that hungry, and didn't get sick on the diet.

Now, here's what I don't like about LA Weight Loss. You have to pay in advance according to how much weight you lose. Then they tell you you'll get a certain amount back if you lose the weight by your goal date. They tell you that you WILL lose the weight in that amount of time. They can get rude with you if you are not losing the weight. And they REALLY push those LA Weight Loss bars on you. You MUST eat two a day, and they track how many you buy from them. I had ordered some off of ebay, but I was actually scared to tell them that. I just said that I had come in and bought them sometime, but they got pretty rude about it. I think the 'counselors' make commission off of those stupid bars. They aren't bad tasting, but after a couple of months I really got sick of them. But they still tell you that you 'have' to eat the bars or you won't lose weight.

You can actually buy the plan information on ebay for a heck of a lot cheaper than what they charge you at the center. I may still have my information, PM me if you are interested and I can send it to you. The center itself isn't very helpful, you go in, get weighed, they go over what you ate, and that's about it. I am on a different diet now that is working really well for me, called the Rice Diet. It's low protein, lots of whole grains, veggies, and fruit. I love this diet...and I don't have to pay to go to the center!

Cataholic
01-26-2007, 08:49 AM
I can't do this alone....I need someone to kick me in the butt and if it means going to meetings 3 x a week, then I'll do it. Don't just tell me to exercise and eat right, 'cause it aint gonna happen. It's like telling a smoker to just put down the cigarettes. Some can do it without any outside help and others need a push.

GIRRRRRRRRRLLLLL.....I got all the foot you need!

I would NOT do LA WL. I would do WW!

sirrahbed
01-26-2007, 08:50 AM
In our area at least - WW is now offering free registration until the 10th of March. That saves about $30 and then the cost is simply for the weekly meetings - $12.

Blue_Frog
01-26-2007, 09:24 AM
I joined Curves last week -- more so that I can be healthy and get some exercise than anything else. I dont know about your area, but right now they have a deal on (i'm sure theres always a deal on ;)) for 30% off initiation, and first month free. I'm happy with it since its just a circuit, and the people have been really friendly. I was a member of another gym, and it always made me self concious there - and I dont feel that way at curves.

In a lot of curves places, if yuo ask for a 2-week free trial to see if you like it, they will usually give that to you :)

Also, I had a friend on weightwatchers, and she really liked it a lot. I haven't tried either, so I can't really give a good assessment ;)

Lobodeb
01-26-2007, 09:31 AM
I joined LA Weight Loss in March of 2005. I was ready to start the program but they wanted me to start when I was going to be in Puerto Rico for the week. Like h-e double hockey sticks was I going to watch what I eat when I was down there, so they had me to start when I got back. Once I got back, I realized I wasn't graced by my Aunt Flow. I was preggers w/ Hugito. They offered to put my account on hold or give me my money back. I opted for the refund minus their $150 penalty. :mad: :rolleyes:

I, too found that the 3x a week was a bit inconvenient as well as having to buy their bars.

I've used Weight Watchers and have had great success with them. As a matter of fact, my mom and I are going to join next week. Financially speaking, I like it better because you pay as you go. Motivationally speaking, I like that they don't brow beat you if you don't loose weight. As far as timing goes, I like it because you only have to go once a week or not at all if you do the online meetings.

Either way, good luck!

Rachel
01-26-2007, 09:52 AM
I just need some guidance. I need to learn about portion control. I want to eat foods I can buy at my local grocery store. I don't want to measure everything...although for portion control I realize I'll have to at some point.

I'm an exercise after work kinda gal and they close at 7pm. I can't get there in time for a 30-min workout.

Don't just tell me to exercise and eat right, 'cause it aint gonna happen. It's like telling a smoker to just put down the cigarettes. Some can do it without any outside help and others need a push.

This cancer experience has made me think long and hard about my health. I wanna grow old enough to attend Gini's BBQ toothless and "gum" my way through the BBQ ribs and chicken. :D

Slick, I'm with you on this. I have a *cancer risk* hanging over my head in addition to a concern of heart health. I'm not able to tolerate statins for my cholesterol so my only hope is to lose the extra weight to see if that will make a difference.

Last week I started on my own plan. Actually I think I know what it takes to lose by eating healthy and limiting my intake, it is executing the plan that has always been my downfall. I exercise regularly thanks to having three pieces of equipment in my home, but believe me, unless food intake is controlled, the exercise is for naught.

This last week has been hard for me, but it is working if I can keep on the plan. I call it an action plan of mindful eating. A nurse advised me to allocate my snacks for the week into little plastic bags. I didn't do that because I use fruit for my snacks, but in essence I think about every thing I put into my mouth before I do it. No more mindless eating.

slick
01-26-2007, 10:28 AM
I want to thank everyone again for your feedback. Wow, I didn't know LA WL was so rude. It's funny but now that I think about it, the girl kept saying "you WILL lose the weight" and she repeated that several times in our conversation. I thought it was just because she had faith in me and their system. HA! "Ve have vays of making you lose da veight!"

Catty: I'm definitely NOT an overeater. Food does not run my life. I just need to get a handle on how much of what foods can I eat at a sitting. I do have good common sense and don't eat when I'm not hungry. However when I'm hungry, I go for anything in any amount. Oh yes, and I don't eat sweets of any kinds nor do I do junk/fast food. I just like a bit of extra butter on my mashed potatoes and veggies. ;)

I'm going to call WW today. I researched meetings in my local area and they begin at 7pm. :( No way can I get there by that time. 7:30pm maybe.

Jo: LOL Thanks for the kick in the butt. I felt that one!! :D

Rachel: If you need to talk, just PM me and I'll give you my email address. Good luck girl.

Randi
01-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Slick, I don't know much about loosing weight, but just want to chip in and say... You can do it!! ;) I honestly don't think all these "wonder slimming remedies" are any help. What you need to do is eat things that make you feel "full up" that are non fattening.

You don't want to starve, so try to make smaller portions of the fattening things and add more veggies and fruit. In time, your stomack will crave less and less. Also, be sure to drink lots of water during the day.

Concerning excercise, if you don't want to/can do it in Gym, how about a very fast walk every day? That should get some pounds off you, and is heathy for your system anyway. (I should talk! :rolleyes: )

Best of luck, my friend! :D

Catty1
01-26-2007, 10:45 AM
I posted that stuff in case it applied...which it doesn't!

So, sounds like WW might be the way to go. I went years and years ago - and it was good for teaching me what a single portion really was! :p

Does this mean Erik doesn't get his oxtail stew???? :D

slick
01-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Does this mean Erik doesn't get his oxtail stew???? LOL You got that right. The last time I was in the Superstore they had a whole section with the most wonderful looking oxtails just staring at me. I had to quickly walk by because I didn't have enough money for them. They are about as dear as T-bone steak!

Later. Now I'm off to work and I VIL like my salad!! :D

Randi
01-26-2007, 11:05 AM
And Slick, just think about the piles of healthy food you can buy for that amount you'd be spending on LA Weight Loss! :eek:

Catty1
01-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Randi - AMEN!

K9karen
01-28-2007, 02:52 PM
I LOVE oxtail soup! My neighbor makes it all the time and brings me a pot of it over!!

I gave up dieting when I hit 50. I swore that I was no longer going to live my life counting every morsel that went into my mouth and then spazing out for days if I splurged. Growing up, all I asked my parents was "Do I look fat"? One day my father said he'd never talk to me again if I asked him again! :D :D

Not one person in my family, on either side (living) has a weight problem. I kept asking if I was adopted, so the folks put the blame on some long dead relative 10 generations back!!!! :eek:
(good sense of humors!!)

I went on WW years ago before any point plan, It was tedious at first because everything was measured by a scale or cup (am I showing my age). But I lost 30 pounds and ate my face off (6 ounces of hot dogs was about 5 hot dogs!)

Unfortunately, (or fortunately)stress from 2000 on made me lose 15 pounds and I've never gained it back. I got my repreive!! I eat anything I want, but in moderation. I just joined a gym specifically for the water aerobics for my back. I can't do everything there but it's really fun and I never thought I'd say that. (ok, ok, so I go out for breakfast afterwards...shhhhh)

Whenever I think I look decent, I get stoned in the head. I won't go on about it but let's just say, a size 6 has nothing to do with what size bathing suit you wear, as I found out the other day. It's a tie with going for a female check up. The fit, lighting, designs racked my brain. It was one of the worse experiences of my life. :mad: :( :o :eek:
So I ate pizza for dinner to calm my nerves!!! :D :p

Randi
01-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Slick, how are getting on with your salad etc? :D

Thanks for link you sent me, there are a lot of good recipees. I hope you don't mind I post it here. http://www.angelfire.com/journal/wwrecipes/

This one sounds yummy, except perhaps for the crumbled blue cheese. ;)

1/4 cup tub-style fat-free cream cheese
4 (10-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
4 curly leaf lettuce leaves
1 cup alfalfa sprouts
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup chopped tomato
1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons finely diced red onion

Spread 1 tablespoon cream cheese over each tortilla; top each with a lettuce leaf. Divide sprouts and remaining ingredients evenly among tortillas; roll up. Cut each rolled wrap in half diagonally.

Servings: 4 Serving Size: 1 wrap

Per serving: 147 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (45% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 22mg Cholesterol; 322mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Just one question, the points you're getting for each dish... is it best to get less points or more points?

As I've told some of you, I need to get my cholesterol down a bit, so I'm off to find more of these recipees.

Good luck Slick, you can do it!! :)

JenBKR
01-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Slick, how are getting on with your salad etc? :D

Thanks for link you sent me, there are a lot of good recipees. I hope you don't mind I post it here. http://www.angelfire.com/journal/wwrecipes/

This one sounds yummy, except perhaps for the crumbled blue cheese. ;)

1/4 cup tub-style fat-free cream cheese
4 (10-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
4 curly leaf lettuce leaves
1 cup alfalfa sprouts
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup chopped tomato
1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons finely diced red onion

Spread 1 tablespoon cream cheese over each tortilla; top each with a lettuce leaf. Divide sprouts and remaining ingredients evenly among tortillas; roll up. Cut each rolled wrap in half diagonally.

Servings: 4 Serving Size: 1 wrap

Per serving: 147 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (45% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 22mg Cholesterol; 322mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

YUM! I'm printing that one now, but I think I'll substitute a little shredded cheese for the blue cheese. Thanks for posting that!!

Randi
01-31-2007, 10:24 AM
If you make it before me, let me know if it's good! ;) You might also add a few other veggies.

slick
01-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Well the only WW meeting in my town (New Westminster) starts at 7pm on Tuesdays and I didn't make it there in time last night....had to work late. So next week, I really need to make an effort. I have not actually joined yet because you do that when you attend a meeting. I've done some more research and it really looks like WW is the way to go for me.

Randi, thanks for the recipe and I'll try that. Why would it be in 4 servings?? I'm only one so I'll at least have to divide it in half. I would think that wraps left in the fridge would make the lettuce go soggy. Anyway, I'll email you from work.

But I lost 30 pounds and ate my face off (6 ounces of hot dogs was about 5 hot dogs!) K9.... :confused: You mean I can eat hotdogs?????? :) Yippee!!!!!

Randi
01-31-2007, 11:18 AM
Slick, I think one or two small ones (tortillas), will be sufficent for people like us. :D

I just came across this site, it look s good. :)

http://fabfood.com/recipes/

slick
01-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks Randi. Since I'm a soup nut, I spotted this from the site. Sounds wonderful!!!!

Soup
2 heads of garlic, peeled and minced or pressed
8 cups water
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
3 carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
1 T dried parsley or finely chopped fresh
1 tsp. dried basil
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper to taste

Dumplings (Makes about 24 small dumplings)
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 beaten egg
1 1/2 T vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
2 T chopped fresh cilantro

Makes About 8 Cups

1. Add all soup ingredients together and simmer for anout thirty minutes.
2. While soup is simmering, prepare dumplings. Mix dry ingredients together. Add remaining ingredients and mix into a stiff batter. Drop batter into boiling soup about 1/2 teaspoon full at a time. When dumplings float (which should only take a minute or so), they are cooked and your soup is ready to be served.

Blue_Frog
01-31-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm sure a lot of you have seen this site before, but its pretty handy anyway!

http://allrecipes.com/

They have links for Healty Living (http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Healthy-Living/Main.aspx) Recipes, and general advice about healty eating (http://allrecipes.com/Info/Healthy-Eating/Main.aspx), as well as a really large searchable database of all kinds of stuff. I usually take 4 or 5 recipes for the things I want to make, and then just kind of combine and alter to suit myself :)

Logan
01-31-2007, 12:40 PM
I have done LA Weight Loss. I lost 30 pounds. Their plan is very detailed and easy to follow. There is nothing unhealthy about it in my opinion and is something I could be following right now, if I would try. They customized our diet plans (Helen and me).

By the way, the people in our local LA WL center were lovely, never anything but upbeat and pleasant. Unfortunately, they had no autonomy. They were completely controlled by their corporate headquarters. I have issues with a couple of things with their corporate rules, though. One is it was incredibly expensive and not only do you prepay for a certain period to lose your alloted weight, if you go past that date, you have to pay more. That's when I stopped going. Also, they have their own supplements called LA Lites that they want you to buy (in advance....always pushing a good deal on those things) and eat or drink, twice/day. Well, I couldn't stomach them. I really tried. I am not a "prepackaged" food person. So they adjusted my diet, taking those out of it, but instead of allowing me to take the huge credit balance I had for those Lites and transfer it over to some other products I was using and also purchasing, their corporate office said it was my loss. I could transfer those prepurchased LA Lites to another dieter or lose my money. I lost over $300, just on LA Lites, because at the time, Helen and I were doing this diet and I had prepurchased a ton of them. That was the other reason I quit going there.

Weighing in 3 times per week is good for holding you accountable, but it is cumbersome when you work fulltime and have other obligations. If they had opened earlier in the mornings, it would have been easier.

I wish you luck. And if you have any other questions, feel free to send me a PM. I know exactly what you are dealing with.

Logan

sirrahbed
06-15-2007, 12:10 PM
hi slick - just wondering if you have done the ww meeting thing yet? I started back about the same time you started this thread.

slick
06-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Nope, never got there. The meeting starts at 7pm and I can never make it on time because of work. I'm not dieting, I'm not really watching what I eat (except for lunches at work)....I just keep getting fatter and fatter and hating myself for it. Sorry, not in a good frame of mind right now. :( :(

Rachel
06-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Well, Slick, at least you are not alone. I've gained five pounds and can't seem to get back to making that extra effort it takes to deny my appetite. I just don't know what to do. :confused: