PDA

View Full Version : Somethings fishy ... Aquarium thoughts

Blue_Frog
01-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Well, I know a lot of you out there have fishtanks, and me and the BF are setting up a new 100 gallon diamond shaped corner unit. Its' been cycling now for about a month and a bit, and its getting close to the time when the new fishies can be brought in. So, I'm wondering ...

What are your favourite fish, fish with the most character, etc? What breeds would -you- recommend?

Now, the only thing is that 2 fish that have to be moved into it are the Leopard Sailfin Plecko (http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_pterigo.php) who has outgrown his existing tank at about 9"-10", and my Raphael Catfish (at about 6" long) (http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_costatus.php) (these guys are part of the reason for the new tank in the first place). I'd also like to use the tank to transfer some of the littler fish from the 10gal 'humptastic' tank (ie. the guppies and platties keep multiplying), so likely Cichlids are out for that reason. Any ideas? :)

borzoimom
01-25-2007, 11:47 AM
I have had both community tanks and also Orandas- and would have to say- the Orandas- they come in lots of colors, basically docile towards each other, and grow big. .. Since you have a diamond type shape which is tall- may I suggest also angels.. They are more divers than side to side swimmers.

king2005
01-25-2007, 01:37 PM
You know you want a fish like mango :D

Get diskus(sp).. they get big & really cool looking

Or get a couple Angel fish, as they get HUGE!!

finn's mom
01-25-2007, 01:40 PM
I like dragonfish, they look mean, but they are pretty peaceful. I think they're cool looking!

borzoimom
01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
check this site out- it will help alot on compatability. http://www.timstropicals.com/Inventory/Shark/index.asp

Blue_Frog
01-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys

King, i'm NOT getting a Mango fish ... he'd eat all my other fish in 2 seconds! :eek: *lol*

sirrahbed
01-25-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't keep fish now but I did for years. I always enjoyed fish that swam in schools - like zebras and tetras. It was fun to watch them synchronize swim and dart back and forth :)

king2005
01-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys

King, i'm NOT getting a Mango fish ... he'd eat all my other fish in 2 seconds! :eek: *lol*

Think of it this way, he'll be a well fed fish :D :D :D ;)
So I guess having fishy dates is a no then?? :D ;)

Freedom
01-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Gee, I am envious, a 100 gallon! I have a 35 gallon, and that is all we have room for at this point. I like to see lots and lots of schooling fish, so I stick with the smaller ones. That way I can have more in the tank. Guess part of it depends what you enjoy watching. The antics of a few, or the synchonization of a group. Also with a tank that size, think a bit ahead. Do you plan to have any live plants? I haven't gone that route, but I imagine some plant types are better for some fish than others.

I kept a bala shark for 5 years, he was almost 12 inches, had to sell him as the tank I had at the time was just too small for him. He was beautiful, called him Silver Streak. I LOVED watching him glide along. He never touched the smaller fish I had in there with him. Well, the angel fish diappeared real quick, but that's all. :eek:

Let us know what you DO get!