PDA

View Full Version : Graphics

Paul
06-23-2002, 10:25 PM
   Many users are having trouble reading Pet Talk because some pages are too large to load in a timely fashion :(. I do not know what the file size limit should be. Since the graphics in signatures are on every page you post, I think they should only be about 20k in size. If you have an excellent 30k image that's fine. However, some files are more than 200k in size.

Paul

Former User
06-24-2002, 02:19 AM
Hey, this is good news. My friend from Finland has been browising here, and as she doesn't have a fast connection, she was getting frustrated.

I guess this post from you Paul is one of those stickies, stays on top, right?

Paul
06-24-2002, 06:52 AM
   Yes, Karen made this thread "sticky" so it will stay on top.

Paul

sasvermont
06-24-2002, 06:57 AM
Paul, how can one tell what space they are taking up in their signature? I just deleted all the pictures and left an animated gif. What are you really saying, in non-computer lingo? Should we not post so many pictures in our posts? I am confused. (What else is new? :rolleyes: )

Former User
06-24-2002, 06:59 AM
Sas, when you right click the image in your signature and choose properties, you can see how big your pics are. Hope this helps!

Ann
06-24-2002, 09:14 AM
Yeah, that's a good idea. I know it's a common misconception that GIFs are smaller size than JPGs, but that actually isn't true, especially if the GIF is animated.

AvaJoy
06-25-2002, 09:08 PM
I'm glad you addressed this issue, Paul. Some of the signature pictures are pretty cumbersome and delay the load time unnecessarily.

BTW, I was getting a Script Error box popping up every now and then whenever I'd go to view COTD. I was going to post about it to see if anyone else was experiencing this, but lately I have not encountered it . . . was the problem fixed?

Karen
06-25-2002, 09:29 PM
Where were you going to Cat of the Day from? We weren't aware of any problem, so ... if there was one, maybe it fixed itself!

gini
06-25-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by AvaJoy
I'm glad you addressed this issue, Paul. Some of the signature pictures are pretty cumbersome and delay the load time unnecessarily.

BTW, I was getting a Script Error box popping up every now and then whenever I'd go to view COTD. I was going to post about it to see if anyone else was experiencing this, but lately I have not encountered it . . . was the problem fixed?

I was getting this message as well. In fact, my favorite was marked as "Cat of the Day" and it wouldn't let me access it. So I changed my favorite to Pet of the Day and haven't had any problems since then.

krazyaboutkatz
06-26-2002, 01:03 AM
I also had a problem at about 10pm and then by about 10:15pm it was okay again. I also wanted to thank you again Karen for helping me resize my signature pics. They look great.http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/flowerface.gif

AvaJoy
06-30-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Where were you going to Cat of the Day from? We weren't aware of any problem, so ... if there was one, maybe it fixed itself!

I always go to POTD then DOTD and from there click on COTD. The script error would occur on my office computer as well as home. I haven't had the box appear lately, so guess whatever was causing this glitch simply worked itself out . . .

pupper-lover
07-01-2002, 05:02 PM
Hmmm. I think I am a culprit here. I am not sure how to figure out the size of my pics or how to make them smaller (When I select the properties on the pic, it tells me bytes and pixels).

Sorry, about that. If someone could give me some advice on making my pics take up less space, I will be happy to adjust my sig.

Logan
07-01-2002, 05:17 PM
Seems that maybe you need to click on the thumbnail size, rather than the full picture. You just right click on the "properties" at the smaller picture, like this.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b2d833b3127cce9e115e3d71260000003010

I have great new pictures to share, by the way, if I ever find the time.....perhaps tomorrow. :D

slleipnir
07-01-2002, 11:54 PM
Go to where to picture is (eg. your desktop) right click on the icon of the pic, and go to properies. One of the things says image size.

Also, I don't seem to have any probs with the pages loading??

pupper-lover
07-02-2002, 01:09 PM
Karen was nice enough to do this banner for me. Is this better?

Former User
07-02-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by pupper-lover
Karen was nice enough to do this banner for me. Is this better?

Hey, it's very cute!! Good job Karen!

PS. I still do avatars if anyone wants one!

Uabassoon
07-02-2002, 03:19 PM
do you think you could do an avatar for me? I've been trying to figure out how to get one that changes between my two cats, but I haven't been able to get it :(

Former User
07-02-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
do you think you could do an avatar for me? I've been trying to figure out how to get one that changes between my two cats, but I haven't been able to get it :(

No problem, email me good and clear pics (about 10) and i'll do it for you! It have to be tomorrow though, as it's late here and we're watching a movie :D

my email addy is [email protected]

PS. make sure the mail isn't bigger than 1Mb, hotmail won't allow me to open it otherwise...if it's bigger, send few separate emails, ok? I don't mind doing avatars, it's fun!

pupper-lover
07-03-2002, 12:00 AM
Why are none of the pics working?:confused: Even the banner Karen made for me is nothing, but an "X".

aly
07-03-2002, 01:32 AM
I can see it. I bet imagestation was temporarily down or something.

Randi
07-03-2002, 03:22 AM
The gif's I'm using has also been coming and going lately, so the reason is not imagestation! ;)

pupper-lover
07-03-2002, 07:58 AM
Well everything seems to be working now! I don't think it was an image station problem, because the only pics I could see anywhere were Casper & Kitty's banner and a few avatars. Everything else, in every thread, was not showing up!

I'm glad everything seems to be working again. Well, except for Randi's sig photos :( .

Former User
07-03-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by pupper-lover
because the only pics I could see anywhere were Casper & Kitty's banner and a few avatars. Everything else, in every thread, was not showing up!

Our signature pic is not on any of these online photo storage places, but on our own homepage, shouldn't be problems to see our sig! :D

Randi
07-03-2002, 09:07 AM
My two litlle gifs have been coming and going today also. I got them from another site. Also, recently some off these gifs worked here on PT, but others didn't. Can anyone tell me why? :confused:

Rachel
07-06-2002, 02:04 PM
For awhile the fonts on Pet Talk were really really small and I could hardly read them. Now they are in turn quite a bit larger than normal. Personally I prefer the larger to the smaller version. I haven't changed anything at my computer. Has anyone else experienced this?

zippy-kat
07-06-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
For awhile the fonts on Pet Talk were really really small and I could hardly read them. Now they are in turn quite a bit larger than normal. Personally I prefer the larger to the smaller version. I haven't changed anything at my computer. Has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't but sometimes my 'puter gets a wild hare (ahem, Sophie?!) and the fonts will change. (Actually, this usually only happens if it the comp. isn't shut down properly, etc.)

Here's what to check/change:
1. Go to view.
2. Find Text Size.
3. Make sure the size you want is checked.

Hope that helps!

Rachel
07-06-2002, 07:45 PM
Hey Zippy! You were right. It took me a bit of rooting around to find the right place to find View but when I did, there it was set to LARGEST. Thanks for the help. That was so kind of you.

zippy-kat
07-06-2002, 08:35 PM
No problem, Rachel. Glad it worked for ya!

*LabLoverKEB*
07-13-2002, 05:41 PM
Siganute Test