PDA

View Full Version : Did Anybody Watch Animal Planet Last Night?

elizabethann
01-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Did you watch it Tuesday 1/23/07 at 10pm est? It was one of those rescue shows. They showed this dog named Trouble that had an embedded chained collar & a chain leash. It was soooo awful. I bawled my eyes out and hugged Fenway. He kissed my tears away. Trouble was in so much pain. He was crying & trying to crawl into a corner. They had to sedate him and they finally got the collar & chain off. The chained leash was so heavy that it hurt his neck from dragging it. I think they said it was so embedded it almost went as far as touching his spine. I don't know how it ended because I was so upset I had to go to bed.

Did anybody watch it? Do you know if Trouble came out okay?

I don't know how these animal rescue people do it. I think I would take the law into my own hands & shoot the owners of the animals that are mistreated.

Lobodeb
01-24-2007, 12:01 PM
I didn't see it, but I've seen many like it on Animal Cops. Did you try going to the website to see if they had an update on Trouble?

I can't watch those shows anymore. They're too sad. :(

Blue_Frog
01-24-2007, 12:10 PM
It was Animal Cops - Houston

http://animal.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=2&cpi=107488&gid=0&channel=APL

I'm trying to see if theres any information about what happened to Trouble

Edit --- :( sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I was hoping for something better ...
from: http://www.tv.com/animal-cops-houston/trouble/episode/443158/recap.html

New member Scott Wernick rescues a dog that has no food or water and is chained to a fence. It is emaciated, and a chain is embedded in its neck. The dog's name is Trouble. At the HSPCA, it is sedated, and the chain is removed. Later, it is discovered that Trouble has heartworms and intestinal parasites. Unfortunately, since Trouble is aggressive around food and other dogs, and because he has heartworms, he is put to sleep. A warrant is out for the owner's arrest.

lizbud
01-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Ialways hate when the dog goes through all the trauma of being so
abused for so long & then they show the rescue & medical treatment
only to label the dog as food aggressive and unadoptable and put them
to sleep. :mad: :mad: put yourself in this poor animals place. If I was
fed whenever someone happened to think about it or maybe have to fight
for the smallest scrap of food, I'd be testy too. :mad: What's wrong with
feeding the dog & leave it the hell alone while he does eat. It just makes
no sense. :mad:

elizabethann
01-24-2007, 12:36 PM
:(

I'm so sad right now. I just want to go home & hug my babies.

I wish AP would show the trials of those bastards who abuse animals & let the viewing audience know what the penalty was.

RIP Trouble. I hope you are running at the RB and playing with all the other dogs, feeling only happiness, no pain. :(

Jadapit
01-24-2007, 12:38 PM
I didn't see it, but I've seen many like it on Animal Cops. Did you try going to the website to see if they had an update on Trouble?

I can't watch those shows anymore. They're too sad. :(

I didn't see it either. I did watch a show on Animal Planet last weekend. There was a beautiful pit bull that a guy had left tied up while he was away. He baked in the hot sun.(the guy lived in Florida) It showed him laying there dead with flies all over him. It also showed where the poor dog had tried to dig a hole to keep cool. I was crying so hard that my husband turned the channel.

So, like you Lobodeb I dont think I can watch them anymore either. They break my heart. :(

K9soul
01-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Ialways hate when the dog goes through all the trauma of being so
abused for so long & then they show the rescue & medical treatment
only to label the dog as food aggressive and unadoptable and put them
to sleep. :mad: :mad: put yourself in this poor animals place. If I was
fed whenever someone happened to think about it or maybe have to fight
for the smallest scrap of food, I'd be testy too. :mad: What's wrong with
feeding the dog & leave it the hell alone while he does eat. It just makes
no sense. :mad:

I agree with you Liz. Have you ever read The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell? There is one portion in the book where she says it makes her want to weep when they show those "tests" of them shoving a fake hand at the food dish of a dog trying to eat, and then label and destroy dogs that react to it. :( So sickening.

finn's mom
01-24-2007, 01:15 PM
As crappy as the situation is, I understand when they label and destroy dogs that have issues like food aggression. It's hard enough to adopt out the dogs that they have there that have no aggression issues. There are far too many animals in shelters as it is, and they probably have to be pretty cold about the whole thing in order for it to be effective at all. In a perfect world, these dogs would never have been mistreated or neglected in the first place, and if they were, they'd have the money, manpower and time to train all of the dogs that come through the shelter. As much as I hate the idea of a dog being put down because of the way it has been treated by humans, it's unfortunately a part of the whole scheme of things. They have to disclose the information they know about the dog, including aggression issues and when faced with choosing a dog that is food aggressive as opposed to one who isn't...most are going to choose the dog that isn't. And especially in a shelter where a dog will be put to sleep if it isn't adopted within a certain amount of time, and certainly no shortage of dogs (without food aggression issues or other aggression issues) who need the space at the shelter and are more likely going to be adopted. Sorry this is a bit harder to type than I expected. I know what I'm trying to say.

Blue_Frog
01-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Would the Heartworms be enough to have him put down? The other things might have been curable with work, but I'd always heard that Heartworms were big trouble? :confused:

Later, it is discovered that Trouble has heartworms and intestinal parasites. Unfortunately, since Trouble is aggressive around food and other dogs, and because he has heartworms, he is put to sleep. A warrant is out for the owner's arrest.

GreyhoundGirl
01-24-2007, 01:46 PM
That is too sad. :( It's downright horrible!! :mad:

I can't get the animal planet. :(

areias
01-24-2007, 01:51 PM
That's sad. :( RIP Trouble. :(

I think that in some cases it is necessary to euthanize the dog, but not all of them. I do remember a show I was watching, don't remember which one, but they had a litter of like 4 5 month old pit puppies...they put like 3 of them down due to dog aggression. What?!?! It's only dog aggression, my dog is dog aggressive! And they were young!

I remember that HBO show, I think it was Shelter Dogs, where they put that Cocker Spaniel down for being food or treat aggressive. That was ridiculous, it seemed like she tried to get it to be aggressive. I don't think that it's unadoptable...an older couple could adopt it, someone without kids.

areias
01-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Would the Heartworms be enough to have him put down? The other things might have been curable with work, but I'd always heard that Heartworms were big trouble? :confused:

Heartworms are treatable, although it shortens the dogs lifespan by treating. They inject the dog with a form of arsenic, and although treatment can be fatal, it's not usually. A lot of shelters/pounds won't treat for heartworms, it is very costly. For the average person it's $500-$1000 to treat, if you get the drug (immiticide) like as a vet, it's probably about $300. Not worth it to a lot of shelters.

Blue_Frog
01-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Heartworms are treatable, although it shortens the dogs lifespan by treating. They inject the dog with a form of arsenic, and although treatment can be fatal, it's not usually. A lot of shelters/pounds won't treat for heartworms, it is very costly. For the average person it's $500-$1000 to treat, if you get the drug (immiticide) like as a vet, it's probably about $300. Not worth it to a lot of shelters.

Thanks for the info -- I didn't know that!

I've always had all our pets on the preventatives (even the ferrets!) to be on the safe side.

TamanduaGirl
01-24-2007, 02:40 PM
the most ridiculous test is when they bring in a bay or toddler doll and then lable the dog child aggressive if it reacts or write them off if they act scared. Dogs are not stupid and have a great sense of smell they know it's not a human and are scared or defensive not over a child but by a scary plastic thing being shoved at them. I suppose a child might shove toys at them too but it's not the same beig upset by a toy as actualy being child agressive and going for children.

lizbud
01-24-2007, 04:44 PM
As crappy as the situation is, I understand when they label and destroy dogs that have issues like food aggression. It's hard enough to adopt out the dogs that they have there that have no aggression issues. There are far too many animals in shelters as it is, and they probably have to be pretty cold about the whole thing in order for it to be effective at all. In a perfect world, these dogs would never have been mistreated or neglected in the first place, and if they were, they'd have the money, manpower and time to train all of the dogs that come through the shelter. As much as I hate the idea of a dog being put down because of the way it has been treated by humans, it's unfortunately a part of the whole scheme of things. They have to disclose the information they know about the dog, including aggression issues and when faced with choosing a dog that is food aggressive as opposed to one who isn't...most are going to choose the dog that isn't. And especially in a shelter where a dog will be put to sleep if it isn't adopted within a certain amount of time, and certainly no shortage of dogs (without food aggression issues or other aggression issues) who need

the space at the shelter and are more likely going to be adopted. Sorry this is a bit harder to type than I expected. I know what I'm trying to say.

I've read and heard all the rational excuses for the food aggressive dog
to be put down. But I don't agree. They might not work in a house with smaller children, but just like the dogs who are judged not suitable with other pets.(dog wants to be the only dog),. have requiements for adoption. These
food aggressive dogs can go to an adult only household.

Besides, I don't think they give the animals enough time to adjust to normal
life with someone who cares for them. I also know shelters are busy and can
only take so much time on one dog.But it's still cruel and unneccesary.

cassiesmom
01-24-2007, 05:02 PM
What is dog aggression, and what is food aggression? It always makes me very sad when I hear stories of people who treat animals cruelly.

KittyGurl
01-24-2007, 05:40 PM
I just don't get it why people hurt their pets like that. It's awful! What goes through their minds when they are abusing a poor little creature. People these days... they make me sick.
Did anyone see the episode of Animal Heros on Animal Planet where these people put newborn puppies in trash bags and trew them out. What's wrong with people!!!! :mad:

JuniorxMyxLove
01-24-2007, 06:41 PM
I just don't get it why people hurt their pets like that. It's awful! What goes through their minds when they are abusing a poor little creature. People these days... they make me sick.
Did anyone see the episode of Animal Heros on Animal Planet where these people put newborn puppies in trash bags and trew them out. What's wrong with people!!!! :mad:

Yea I think I did. Didn't like only one or two or three make it? I remember them pulling out a bag of dead puppiess....I had to turn away to calm my stomach.

I was watching the show, and they rescued a pitbull and a chowmix i think, both mixed breeds. They were both really skinny, about the same condition. What bugged the h*ll out of me though, was the fact that they put the pit bull down but not the chow-mix or whatever it was. The officer said, and I almost quote, "because of the breed and condition, we humanely euthinized him." the chow mix was treated and adopted out. I know pit bulls are banned in some places, but they could have said that if that was the case instead of leaving me so pissed off.

PJ's Mom
01-30-2007, 10:12 AM
I wish AP would show the trials of those bastards who abuse animals & let the viewing audience know what the penalty was.

I agree. Then when they don't get the punishment they deserve, maybe enough people will get pissed off enough to actually do something to try to change the system.