PDA

View Full Version : How to safely Tie a dog up outside to potty & sniff about

king2005
01-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Like the title said, its only to potty, sniff about in the yard & to stare at people. Being on a short leash is making it hard for the dogs & myself for a morning pee. The dogs want to sniff & pee, but I keep getting in the way & they'll stop...

When I let Bear loose she'll pee just fine, but she likes to go on walks by herself & doesn't know, stop, or come overly well, so thats really BAD.

I have a screw & a 6' chain right now. I can put a cinder block ontop of the screw if needed. But was wonder if the chain is safe to use for a few mins here & there. Both dogs will be supervised, but I don't know how fast a chain could hurt a dog.

My old dog was fine on it. He didn't need to be chained, but was chained at campgrounds as it was a rule (the chain is really 12 feet, I just haven't found the other 6 feet right now)

Muddy4paws
01-24-2007, 10:44 AM
I dont see a problem as long as they are always supervised, or maybe pick up a pastic coated chain?

borzoimom
01-24-2007, 10:51 AM
I dont see a problem as long as they are always supervised, or maybe pick up a pastic coated chain?
We have set up a overhead cable and trolley with a 8 foot plastic coated chain. It has draw backs though- the big one- is they are chained and if something came after them- they could not get away. ITs only there for hottie when it ices to keep him from running in the ice or going down into the lower part of the yard, and seldom if ever used. ( like 4 times in 3 years..)
Remember- unless its a plastic coated chain- it can get wrapped around another dog or their legs- this keeps it stiffer.

king2005
01-24-2007, 11:02 AM
We have set up a overhead cable and trolley with a 8 foot plastic coated chain. It has draw backs though- the big one- is they are chained and if something came after them- they could not get away. ITs only there for hottie when it ices to keep him from running in the ice or going down into the lower part of the yard, and seldom if ever used. ( like 4 times in 3 years..)
Remember- unless its a plastic coated chain- it can get wrapped around another dog or their legs- this keeps it stiffer.

Our yard is FAR too tiny to set up a run cable... our yard is broken up into 3 levels as its on a hill & only the 2 higher levels are gonna be used for the dogs, as the lowest is right beside the walkway & I don't want the dogs in someones face.

I think only bear will be tied up as any chain is a wee bit big for Mr. Biggles.. I have a retractable leash somewhere, that I can use for Mr. Biggles.

Are the plastic coated chains re sizable?

applesmom
01-24-2007, 11:05 AM
For obvious reasons our dogs were kept on stakeout chains or confined in exercise pens at field events. We made the stakes ourselves out of rebar and always used safety swivels. The dogs preferred the stake out chains as they provided increased mobility.

The chains were only 4 feet long for safety reasons. If the chain is too long a dog can quickly become entangled, panic and harm themselves. Six feet probably wouldn't be too long for a dog the size of Bear as long as you were with her. I wouldn't recommend 12 feet because of the dangers of entanglement.

borzoimom
01-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Ours is 12 feet long- because it comes down from about 8 feet up.. Or close to it.. lol.
Sorry for the wrong impression. Its a over head cable. And used seldom if ever. ( why is it still even there.. lol..)

king2005
01-24-2007, 11:15 AM
For obvious reasons our dogs were kept on stakeout chains or confined in exercise pens at field events. We made the stakes ourselves out of rebar and always used safety swivels. The dogs preferred the stake out chains as they provided increased mobility.

The chains were only 4 feet long for safety reasons. If the chain is too long a dog can quickly become entangled, panic and harm themselves. Six feet probably wouldn't be too long for a dog the size of Bear as long as you were with her. I wouldn't recommend 12 feet because of the dangers of entanglement.

I was going to put the screw close to the house & screw it so the whole screw is in the ground & its just a chain sticking out.. that stops from getting wrapped around the screw, as the ring never worked, if the dog was circling the screw too close.

I was thinking of giving Bear 8' of chain so she could use a good chunk of the yard to sniff & choose where to potty.. but if 6' is better, I'll leave it at that.

My other 6' chain is so much better, so I hope I can find it tonight

applesmom
01-24-2007, 11:31 AM
I was going to put the screw close to the house & screw it so the whole screw is in the ground & its just a chain sticking out.. that stops from getting wrapped around the screw, as the ring never worked, if the dog was circling the screw too close.

I was thinking of giving Bear 8' of chain so she could use a good chunk of the yard to sniff & choose where to potty.. but if 6' is better, I'll leave it at that.

My other 6' chain is so much better, so I hope I can find it tonight

That sounds just fine! If you can replace the broken swivel it would be a good idea. One of the mistakes most often made with stakeout chains is not putting it all the way into the ground and then the dog gets the chain wrapped around the post. Not a safe situation by any means!

king2005
01-24-2007, 11:39 AM
That sounds just fine! If you can replace the broken swivel it would be a good idea. One of the mistakes most often made with stakeout chains is not putting it all the way into the ground and then the dog gets the chain wrapped around the post. Not a safe situation by any means!

with this screw, it has a handle thats above the ring (most stupidest design EVER).. that why I ripped the ring off & I just put the chain on the handle & screw it until its burried good & deep. No chance of tangling it around the screw :D

Now I just pour boiling hot water on the ground where I want the screw to go... burry the screw & let the ground freeze again, WOOT!

lute
01-24-2007, 12:01 PM
I have a 50ft cord I put Gracie on in the mornings and evenings while I'm doing outside work. I just wrapped a 4ft leash around a tree and hooked the 50ft one to it. She's never gotten tangled up and really likes it.

king2005
01-24-2007, 12:09 PM
I have a 50ft cord I put Gracie on in the mornings and evenings while I'm doing outside work. I just wrapped a 4ft leash around a tree and hooked the 50ft one to it. She's never gotten tangled up and really likes it.

If the chain becomes a hazard for potty breaks, then I'll try to find one of those cords in a length that can be used in my yard.