PDA

View Full Version : Worried For Gable :( **UPDATE** CULTURE UPDATE

K & L
01-24-2007, 07:02 AM
Gable is going to the vet first thing this morning when they open. Last night he was sneezing and we noticed he was spraying blood, and when he was sneezing diarrhea would squirt out (sorry for the graphics). He seems fine otherwise, eating, playing, but seems to be sleeping more than usual. The blood spray has really got us worried. I will update as soon as I find out anything. Send Gable some of PT’s good vibes please!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid221/p1706a84872e465dfd84cbcc8cb471da7/eb88f74e.jpg

Lizzie
01-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Cattulus had this when he had a bad cat cold last summer. It's really frightening, in fact it even frightened the vet because it happened so often and for weeks. However, as his cold got better, the bloody sneezing stopped. If we tried to treat it, the irritation and bloody sneezing got worse. Perhaps Gable has more of a cat flu so his digestive system is upset also. With his muscles contracted hard to sneeze, it just pushes out loose stuff from the other end. What a mess!

Poor Gable! I feel very sorry for both him and you. I feel sure that it's something very treatable and he will be dashingly well in a few weeks.

momcat
01-24-2007, 07:53 AM
Poor Gable! :( Prayers are being prayed that the problem isn't serious and your little sweetie will be better in no time. Please give Gable some "feel better" scritchies from me?

K & L
01-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Cattulus had this when he had a bad cat cold last summer. It's really frightening, in fact it even frightened the vet because it happened so often and for weeks. However, as his cold got better, the bloody sneezing stopped. If we tried to treat it, the irritation and bloody sneezing got worse. Perhaps Gable has more of a cat flu so his digestive system is upset also. With his muscles contracted hard to sneeze, it just pushes out loose stuff from the other end. What a mess!

Poor Gable! I feel very sorry for both him and you. I feel sure that it's something very treatable and he will be dashingly well in a few weeks.

Thanks for the info! With just losing Scooter, and one of our park cats Brutus, we seem to be extra sensitive to something being wrong.

Freedom
01-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Vita developed a URI rather quickly and was sneezing blood. I took her in to the vet - yeah, it scared me TOO! Took two weeks of clavamox to get her back to normal. It really did come on fast; this was just last month. So wishing Gable all the best, that this can be easily treated as well!

Catty1
01-24-2007, 08:21 AM
HUGS! Wishing Gable gets well soon!

kimlovescats
01-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Prayers for little Gable!

Hugs,
Kim

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Get better soon, sweet Gable!!

catlover4ever
01-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Sorry to hear about Gable. I hope it is nothing serious. Tucker has the same problem with her sneezing, except for the diarrhea.

Good vibes coming your way.

jazzcat
01-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Eww, poor little guy. Prayers and good thoughts on the way.

krazyaboutkatz
01-24-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Gable is sick :( I hope it's nothing serious and that he'll recover quickly. Get well soon Gable.

K & L
01-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Gable's home and poor little guy was so scared at the vets he peed and pooped all over himself. They had to bath him before I could even take him home. They took a culture which will take about a week to get back. In the meantime he is on Clavamox and a antihistimine. He was sneezing blood at the vets so they were able to get a pretty good culture. He's so happy to be home, now it's just the waiting to find out what is causing this. Let's hope it's not contagious since he's been around all the cats.

wolflady
01-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Oh gosh, poor little guy! I'm glad the vet was able to get a culture, and hopefully they'll be able to figure out what's causing this! Get well little Gable!

Please kiss him on his cute little black mustache for me.
**hugs**

orangemm
01-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Poor little guy...he must have been terrified AND miserable.

Hope he will get to feeling better..........gentle scritches to you, sweet Gable.

kimlovescats
01-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Poor little guy. I'm glad he's back home with Mommy now! I hope they find out what is going on and it can be easily dealt with!

Kim

K & L
01-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone! He must be worn out cause he's been on our bed sleeping since I brought him home. I can't help but wonder what is going on all of a sudden in our household lately.

Catty1
01-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Lisa - Have you given him the meds, or did the vet get him started?

I would guess he is tired out from the stress at the vet's - and if the meds are starting to work, maybe he is catching up on his rest.

I suspect you will find a happier and better boy in the morning. :)

K & L
01-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Lisa - Have you given him the meds, or did the vet get him started?

I would guess he is tired out from the stress at the vet's - and if the meds are starting to work, maybe he is catching up on his rest.

I suspect you will find a happier and better boy in the morning. :)

The vets gave him a shot of antibiotics today, and then sent us home with liquid clavamox. I'm sure he was terribly stressed out since he went all over himself. Probably didn't get much sleep at all today.

He was so cute in the carrier. I was sticking my fingers through the openings and he was rubbing and purring. He couldn't get close enough to me. I sure hope this isn't anything too serious.

catlover4ever
01-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Poor baby. I hope Gable is feeling better soon. Sleep tight little one....rest up so you can feel better really soon.

catmandu
01-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Poor Little Gable , We Are Praying That Your Meowmie And The White Coats Can Make You All Better Again.
Its No Fun Being Sick, And We Hope Youre A Happy Healthy Cat Very Soon.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Oh no, Lisa! I sure hope it's nothing serious, and nothing contagious! Poor little guy must have been terrified and I can see how it would be major nap time now that he's home again.

Please keep us updated.

krazyaboutkatz
01-24-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm so glad that he's now home:) and I too hope it's nothing serious or contagious. Please continue to keep us updated about him. Please get well soon Gable.

K & L
01-25-2007, 06:26 AM
Thank you! I was worried maybe he had something lodged in his nose. He seems to be doing a little better this morning so maybe the shot is taking affect. He's still sneezing, but not as much. I will update when I hear from the vet.

Donnaj4962
01-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Awww, poor widdle Gable. I am glad the white coat was able to get a good culture. Poor widdle guy must be miserable. He has been through so much! Hope he is getting better each day, and that he is good about taking his clavomax! Please keep us posted.

Lizzie
01-25-2007, 11:18 AM
I hope the antibiotics are going to work their wonders on Gable, I hate to think of that handsome chap feeling rotten. Are you able to go home at lunch-time to check on him? How long does a culture take to show results?

jazzcat
01-25-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm glad to hear he is doing a little better already.

K & L
01-25-2007, 03:04 PM
I hope the antibiotics are going to work their wonders on Gable, I hate to think of that handsome chap feeling rotten. Are you able to go home at lunch-time to check on him? How long does a culture take to show results?

No, live too far away. They said about a week for the culture to grow.

rg_girlca
01-25-2007, 06:34 PM
AWWWW poor widdle Gable. I'm glad you are feeling a bit better sweetie and pray that your tests all come back good.

barncat
01-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Some kitties have delicate sinuis tissue and with a slight fever and irritation of a cold it dries and causes nose-bleeds just as it can in humans. While you wait for the culture and as you give the meds you might want to add some moisture to the atmosphere in your house. A cool vaporizer, heating a pot of water on the stove or even just having a water pot out to evaporate might help a little if this is part of the problem. I see you are from AZ so I'm guessing you are not heating your house much...however dry air can be hard on noses when the nose-owner has a cold....

hope you all feel better soon.

K & L
01-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Some kitties have delicate sinuis tissue and with a slight fever and irritation of a cold it dries and causes nose-bleeds just as it can in humans. While you wait for the culture and as you give the meds you might want to add some moisture to the atmosphere in your house. A cool vaporizer, heating a pot of water on the stove or even just having a water pot out to evaporate might help a little if this is part of the problem. I see you are from AZ so I'm guessing you are not heating your house much...however dry air can be hard on noses when the nose-owner has a cold....

hope you all feel better soon.

Thanks for the suggestion. The vet did suggest this very thing by secluding him to the bathroom and having some steam in there. Gable does seem a bit better and I haven't seen as much blood or sneezing.

Catsnclay
01-26-2007, 12:57 PM
I was at the shelter yesterday talking with the manager, she thought it could be a food allergy!! :eek:

She claims that a lot of cats are allergic to chicken! She recommended a duck & pea diet ( of course this is a special food, and that means big $$$)

Just a thought................

(oh Lisa - just to let you know, we are still having email problems! Grrrr......

Sunday is fine - El Paso BBQ @ 5????)

K & L
01-26-2007, 01:11 PM
I was at the shelter yesterday talking with the manager, she thought it could be a food allergy!! :eek:

She claims that a lot of cats are allergic to chicken! She recommended a duck & pea diet ( of course this is a special food, and that means big $$$)

Just a thought................

(oh Lisa - just to let you know, we are still having email problems! Grrrr......

Sunday is fine - El Paso BBQ @ 5????)

Thanks Bunny! He seems to be getting better so we'll see what the culture says! That would be our luck though!

See you Sunday and you finally get to meet Sable, Gable, and Garbo!!

RedHedd
01-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Oh dear - I have Friday brain. When I saw Duck & Pea my mind went elsewhere ... duck & pee :D

Lizzie
01-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Oh dear - I have Friday brain. When I saw Duck & Pea my mind went elsewhere ... duck & pee :D

I nearly choked on my cookie! :D

K & L
01-31-2007, 03:28 PM
We got a call from the vet this afternoon and Gable had 3 different types of strep growing. He will be on antibiotics for another 10 days, and I’m happy to report he is doing better. He still has some sneezing but is becoming very feisty now!

Donnaj4962
01-31-2007, 03:43 PM
Very glad to hear that little Gable is on the mend! Keep getting better widdle one.... and we need some pictures! :::hint hint:::

orangemm
01-31-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm glad Gable is doing better. Poor lil guy, he had a tough time.

Feisty is good! :)

catlover4ever
01-31-2007, 06:13 PM
Wow, I never would have thought strep, but it does make sense.

Glad to hear that Gable is on the mend. Chin scritchies to Gable. :)

krazyaboutkatz
01-31-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm glad to hear that you now know what it is that you're dealing with. I hope that Gable gets well soon.:)

jennielynn1970
01-31-2007, 11:39 PM
I know with my immune compromised guys I used Honeywell HEPA filters to keep the air clean, and humidifiers to keep the air moist. We've also used nebulizers on our cats to help their congestion. If you're thinking what I was the first time I heard that (how the heck does a cat hold an inhaler tube and breathe in?! I'm so blonde some times), we put them in their carriers, put the hose through the grate, cover the entire carrier with a towel and start the nebulizer. It works really well for cats with allergies because you can add their liquid meds right to the bottled water (not normal drinking water, but the other stuff), and when it mists in the carrier and they breathe it in, they get their meds. Works wonderfully.

Also helps to take them in the bathroom when you shower as well. My mom and dad have my one girl Lucy since 1999 because she reacted so terribly to Bethlehem, PA air (city grime and the Steel factory crap), she sneezed blood, and no antibiotics helped. She is now living happily on their farm in the Poconos, and gets an allergy shot every other month or so.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Wow, poor little guy! I'm glad you know what the problem is and yes, feisty is a good thing! :D