PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP - Recycle Bin question

kuhio98
01-22-2007, 11:53 PM
I got a new laptop for Christmas. I'm having a weird problem.
Whenever I delete or drag something to the recycle bin, it disappears!
No warning, no nothing. It never appears in the recycle bin, it's just gone. :eek:

Any ideas?

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Try this...

Right-click on the recycle bin, go to properties and make sure "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted" is unchecked.

kuhio98
01-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Try this...

Right-click on the recycle bin, go to properties and make sure "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted" is unchecked.Nope. It's not checked. :confused:

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Forgot to ask -- what OS are you using?

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-23-2007, 05:15 AM
Sounds weird.... !
Be sure to ask for approval before deleting things...

sirrahbed
01-23-2007, 06:40 AM
Lisa is the box "use one setting for all drives" in the properties checked? It sounds like your deleted files may be going to the recycle bin of another identity. (ie: administrator, a different partition or drive) Try checking that option if it is not already. Reboot.

That work?

Blue_Frog
01-23-2007, 09:21 AM
See the other tabs at the top of the properties window? Can you screenshot one of them (like the C: drive) and post that too?

What you could also try --

Go into the Properties
- On the GLOBAL tab, select 'Configure Drives Independantly'
- Go to each tab (C, D, and E drives) and make sure that the checkbox for 'Do Not Move Files to the Recycle Bin' is unchecked for ALL tabs.

kuhio98
01-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Okay, I'm including screen shots of how mine is set up.
I did check the other identity recycle bin (there are only 2 identities on our computer) and the files I deleted are not there either? Is it possible there is a 3rd identity that I don't know about? Bobcat and I are the only ones that use the computer. We only see 2 identities when we boot.

I increased the maximum size % of the recycle bin to a ridiculous amount just to make sure that the files (shortcuts) that I was trying to delete weren't too big for some reason. That doesn't appear to be the problem. :confused: Very confused. I've never had a problem like this before.

Blue_Frog
01-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Hmm... you've got me stumped ??

1. To check how many profiles are there, click Start-Settings-Control Panel. Double click 'User Accounts' - that should show you all user accounts for your PC.

2. Stupid question -- are you holding down the SHIFT key when pressing DELETE to remove files? Pressing SHIFT-DELETE will bypass the recycle bin entirely. Also, files deleted from a disk, usb key etc. may not go to the recycle bin and instead be deleted.

3. You should have a folder in your C: drive called RECYCLER. Double click this, and there should be a funny numbered folder for each recycle bin on your system -- check through these folders - are the files there? If you don't see the folder (hidden by default) you may need to change your system settings (from the C: window -- Tools - Folder Options - View Tab - select "show hidden files and folders" and deselect "hide protected operating system files")

Blue_Frog
01-23-2007, 11:54 AM
From Microsofts website KB at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/136517/EN-US/

Now, it also says this pertains to windows NT, ans since you're on XP it -may- work, but I dont know. Again, deleting system files can be tricky and can make your sytem worse, but this kind of sounds like the problem...

Damaged or Deleted INFO File
If the INFO file is damaged or deleted, no files appear in the Recycle Bin. However, the renamed files still exist in the Recycled folder. Even though the files in the Recycled folder have been renamed, they are not changed in any other way. For example, a text file is still viewable as a text file. To restore such a file, you can manually search for the file in the folder and rename it.

If the INFO file is deleted, it is re-created when you restart Windows. If the Recycle Bin becomes damaged and stops functioning, deleting the hidden INFO file in the Recycle folder and restarting Windows may enable you to again access files in the Recycle Bin. The INFO file is a hidden file. To delete the INFO file follow these steps:

1. Open a command prompt window
2. Type cd recycled
3. Type attrib -h inf*
4. Type del info

ED: I dont think this will work, theres no RECYCLED folder in XP... i'll keep looking.

Blue_Frog
01-23-2007, 12:29 PM
How familiar are you with PC stuff? This is from a MS Newsgroup that might help ...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and _support&mid=fd816b0a-7722-4219-a7d1-5d60cdf43b18

By: Michael Cecil

Assuming you're using NTFS you could do the following procedure to nuke
your recycle bin and force it to start fresh but you'll lose any pretty
icons you might see associated with them in Explorer. IOW, the Recycler
folder will look just like any other folder. I doubt it will work if you
have any sort of Norton Recycle Bin Protected Files Doodah Doodah
installed however. (Standard disclaimers apply - if your computer melts,
your cat explodes, etc. don't blame me. I've done this before and it
worked for me.)

1. Open a command prompt window first.
2. Open taskmanager and end the explorer process. The taskbar should
vanish.
3. In the command prompt type:
rmdir /s c:\recycler
where c: is the drive and press <enter>. If it prompts you, answer yes to
deleting the folder or files. Repeat this for all your hard drives, if
you have more than one.
4. When finished type:
explorer
and press <enter>. You should get back your taskbar.

Try deleting some files and see if the desktop Recycle Bin icon works as
expected.

Might work? seems to have worked for other people with this problem :)

kuhio98
01-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Blue Frog ~ Thank you for all your help. Unfortunately, it didn't work. When I type in rmdir /s c:\recycler I get the message that rmdir doesn't exist.

I'll keep GoodSearching to see what else I can come up with.
I really appreciate your time on this.

Blue_Frog
01-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Well, the RMDIR is a command that is used in the command window to 'remove directory' -- it would look something like this ...

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/bluefrog_ca/command.jpg

(where example is the name of the folder, so in that case it would be recycler)

Blue_Frog
01-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Maybe this might help a little -- i'm going to step out the steps from that forum link post i made earlier.

(again, if you're not comfortable with deleting system files on your PC, its a good idea to get someone to give you a hand :))

1. Open a command prompt window first.
To do this, click on the Start button, then click on Run. A little window will open - type in CMD and hit the OK button. The window will look like this -
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/bluefrog_ca/run.jpg

2. Open taskmanager and end the explorer process. The taskbar should
vanish.
To do this, hold down the CTRL and SHIFT keys together, and then tap the ESC key (all 3 keys need to be pressed at the same time). This will open the Windows task manager. Click on the 'Processes' tab, then press the Image Name (to sort alphabetically). Find explorer.exe, click on it to highlight it, and then press the End Process button. (this basically crashes the windows shell). It looks like this ...
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/bluefrog_ca/explorer.jpg

3. In the command prompt type:
rmdir /s c:\recycler
where c: is the drive and press <enter>. If it prompts you, answer yes to
deleting the folder or files. Repeat this for all your hard drives, if
you have more than one.
So, you should still have the Command window open (see my previous post). Type in exactly below in the command window (the stuff in the brackets is step information):
c: (press enter to change to your C: just in case)
rmdir /s c:\recycler (press enter to delete the c:\recycler folder)
Are you sure? (message will appear)
Y (press enter to accept the delete)

4. When finished type:
explorer
and press <enter>. You should get back your taskbar.
You should still have the black command window open. Type in:
explorer (press enter to restart the Windows shell)
exit (press enter to close the CMD window)

You may need to reboot your PC as well --- if you can't get the windows explorer to restart, a reboot of the PC will fix it.
I'd walk you though it on the phone, but i dont have an 1-800 number, and LD to canada = too much $$ ;)

kuhio98
01-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/feuerwerk_02.gifhttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/feuerwerk_02.gifhttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/feuerwerk_02.gifhttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/feuerwerk_02.gif

Spelling it out made all the difference. Instead of typing in cmd in the Run screen, I was typing in rmdir /s c:\recycler. That's why I wasn't getting anywhere. My recycle bin is back in service. How can I ever thank you? Need any Alaskan "trinkets"?

Blue_Frog
01-24-2007, 09:18 AM
:D:D Just glad I could help out, and I'm happy that it's fixed!