PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy, what have we done?!?!

catnapper
01-22-2007, 09:16 PM
We've had a LOT of problems with the local public school over the past few years, and this year they broke the last straw when my youngest daughter was out sick with strep throat, then sick again with Mono. (poor girls' had a hard junior year.... broke left foot, then got sick with strep, then mono, then sprained her right foot.... you can see the crutches from the sprain of last week :rolleyes: ) Anyhow, the school was a nightmare to deal with during all of it..... too much to go into in one little thread, just take our word that we are plenty justified in spending money we honestly don't have in order to give her the education she needs to prepare her for college.

We just aren't putting up with public school anymore, so we enrolled her in the local private school. The tuition will kill us but we feel its worth every penny for her to get the education she deserves. We were told that for next year, we'll most likely get a HUGE scholarship based on our finances (woohoo, finally a good thing coming from being broke!) and my inlaws paid for half this year's tuition.

Soooo, today I went and officially disenrolled her from public school and enrolled her at the private school. She is totally embarassed by the uniform :p but I think she's also secretly happy that she no longer has to fret about dressing to impress the snobs.

Of course I HAD to take a photo of her modeling her new uniform :D I doubt she'll let me take "first day of school" photo tomorrow (LOL)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/Uniform.jpg
(10 points for those who spot Allen first and who can spot my wet food stock pile :D)

I hope this is all worth it. I was completely impressed by everyone I spoke with and am confident that this is the BEST move for her. Her grades have slipped big-time this year, and not just because she was sick. And her confidence has slipped. This will help her get her grades and confidence back up.

PS: Please no comments on cost. We have looked at this and realize that its what we need to do as responsible parents. You have no idea what we've endured with this public school. The tuition and cost is not something we ignored or took lightly. We debated this for many months and now that I've got a job, we decided to do it.

critter crazy
01-22-2007, 09:21 PM
i think that is fabulous!!! i have been contemplatin private school for my son, espacilly since he needs more one on one attention. I think you have done what is best for your daughter! good for you!!

Twisterdog
01-22-2007, 10:06 PM
If there was a private school anywhere in our county, I would have sold a kidney to send my son there. You are fortunate to have the opportunity! I'm sure she will be much happier.

kimlovescats
01-22-2007, 10:28 PM
I see Allen's flashlight eyes in the left doorway .. and your wetfood stash to the right under the cabinet! WHAT DID I WIN, huh huh??? :D

Now, I think you did a great thing for her and tell her she looks very cute in her uniform ... but quit hiding that pretty face I KNOW she has! ;)

CathyBogart
01-23-2007, 12:28 AM
When my brother had an 8" long spiral fracture of his femur and was in a body cast...the public school he went to was a NIGHTMARE to deal with. I don't blame you at all.

jenluckenbach
01-23-2007, 05:14 AM
From personal experience, you have probably done the BEST thing. I was moved to a private (non-religious) school in 8th grade and flourished.

Good luck to her.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-23-2007, 05:25 AM
Your daughter is very lucky to have such great parents!!

btw, she looks great in that uniform!!

Pam
01-23-2007, 05:52 AM
I applaud you for doing this. Both of my children went to a private school from grades 6-12 (religious). It was something my husband and I knew we had to do. It is a financial sacrifice but I can't think of a better way to invest one's money. Our children are way more important than any tangible thing we might like to buy. Oh and yes I did see Allen's *headlight eyes* immediately. I had to look a little harder for the food. :p

catnapper
01-23-2007, 06:18 AM
Somebody is nervous this morning. She came to me and confessed that she just threw up and is pale. I said, "its just nerves." I don't think she believes me :p I can't blame her for being nervous. She went to the same school since kindergarten. This is a huge step for her, and like the guidance counselor at the new school said, "very brave" for making this change.

Thanks everyone for the support. We're all a bit nervous and hoping this is the right thing. Its a Catholic school and she's not Catholic (but I am). I went to Catholic school up til 8th grade and was crushed when my parents told me they wouldn't be able to afford high school. I think she'll like it there.

BOBS DAD
01-23-2007, 06:31 AM
I think the outfit looks very snappy and she looks cute in it. Something about a person in uniform. Wishing her and you the very best of luck!!!

sirrahbed
01-23-2007, 06:32 AM
Kim - our youngest two transfered to private school when Jason was a junior and Missy was (I think) in 8th grade. The first year was tough for Jason but his senior year was the best ever. Missy absolutely flourished there. She also had gone K-7 at the same school system and with the same people. I hope she chimes in here because we have often talked about the differences with them and they have good insight on why public school is so much more stressful.

Hubby sirrahbed has taught in both public and private and though he now subs at a public school, his memories of the private school are so much better and happier.

Our school was a Christian school but that is not the only reason we found it so good. Teachers were there because they wanted to be. Parents worked closely with the kids and teachers both because they were making this investment.

Because hubby was on the faculty, we only paid half tuition but it was difficult financially since the salary was only about 20K.

I think you will be very happy with the parochial school, Kim. Being Catholic does not matter. School is not church. It may be hard initially but so worth it once your daughter starts to fit in and make new friendships. I hope you are able to involve yourself in some way as you have time. Having parents part of the equation is so important I think.

Granddaughters Misha and Annika will be homeschooled and then to private school later on. No public school for them. Tyler will go to public school because the schools where they live are highly rated. It all depends on where you live also.

Take care, hang in there and things will smooth out. I think the uniform looks really cute on her. Looking the same as everyone else removes tremnedous peer pressure from the kids. I agree with that concept completely.

(((HUGS))))

catnapper
01-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks Deb ((((hugs)))))

The sad thing is the school she is transferring from is one of the best in the state. Scary to think its so highly regarded and we had so many issues.... what is going on in the other schools? Or is the reason we had so many problems the fact that we're broke and everyone else has money to make the administrators jump? It seems everyone with money gets exactly what their kid needs, and we got nothing but hassle.

I just dropped her off and she's the third new student TODAY (but to be fair its also the perfect time to start since its the beginning of a whole new semester). Another kid was from her school and even in a coupe of her classes. What does that tell you?

In a strange coincidence, hubby attended the same school when he was her age, for many of the same reasons. But the prinicpal REALLY laid a guilt trip on thick about none of us attending church reguarly. He told her she HAD to go and be baptised, confirmed, etc in order to really get the full experience. She was like, "Uh, I'll get right on that :rolleyes: " I agree we should start going to church as a family, but she doesn't need to push 12 years of sacriments into one year just because she's attending a Catholic high school.

Pam
01-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Kim "when in Rome do as the Romans do." She is now entering a new school with a different set of priorities. A religious school will have its emphasis on religious things. Here's wishing for a good transition for your daughter. It's nice that she actually already knows one of the students. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
01-23-2007, 07:52 AM
I think it's great! I'm sure she will feel at home there in no time.

I never attended a private school, though I wish I had. My sister went to a private school and enjoyed school so much more than I did. She hated public school and every day my parents had to fight her to go. After they put her in private school she looked forward to going!

My husband went to private school up until high school, then he decided to attend public school, I'm glad he did, that's where we met. I think the reason he wanted to go to public school was because his mom taught at the private school and he wanted a little more independence and freedom.

Justin and I both hope to be able to put our kids through private school.

catlover4ever
01-23-2007, 08:11 AM
A pat on the back to you for doing this.

I too see Allen in the back of the photo...you can not miss those glowing eyes.

Trinityagain
01-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Good luck to her! I have a friend in another part of PA that switched her daughter...I think 3 years ago, from public school to private school and the difference was amazing! She is still doing incredibly well, has joined in a bunch of activites and loves every minute of it! It is a Christian school, but she isn;t and has no problems what so ever with the curriculum, the students, the faculty...nothing.

ramanth
01-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Good luck to her!

My family did just the opposite. I attended Catholic School for 3 years and when we moved, they enrolled us in the local public school. I enjoyed all those years of public school far more than private. :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
01-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Cameron has been in private school from the start. I honestly don't think he would have coped with public school - he needs the extra attention (and "spoonfeeding") which the high fees provide for ;)

Amber & Amy are both in a private (Catholic) school. None of us are catholic - however is IS the best private school in their area. The girls HAVE been confirmed etc, but that was their personal choice through getting involved in school and church activities. They attend youth groups, and Amber sings in the church/school choir. They both have excellent morals, and get the encourangement to excell in their particular areas of talent - which often gets overlooked in the public school system, simply through lack of resources / time etc, plus high teacher/pupil ratios.

My step-daughter in the UK is in her local school. (We have offered for YEARS to cover the tuition for private school - she refuses to leave her "friends"). She is FAR too "old" for her years, has a mouth like a toilet, and unfortunately wants nothing more than to be old enough to leave school and go work on a till in Tescos (supermarket). I'm not knocking supermarket workers, but for a child with SO much potential to be throwing away her opportunities for further education just breaks my heart. She gets NO guidance from her mom and step-dad. I can already see that we are going to have HUGE problems with her as she gets older.

Kim, I can imagine the financial sacrifice this represents. I really think you are doing the best thing for your daughter.. I am sure she will flourish in an environment where she can concentrate on her studies, and not all the other nonsense which seems to dominate public schools these days.

BTW she looks great in the uniform.

Freedom
01-23-2007, 09:25 AM
First, thank you Kim for announcing where the kitty is in the photo; I couldn't find him!

I went to public school grades 1 through 8. Pestered my parents mercilessly, I hated public school, I needed to get into the local Catholic all girls high school. I loved it AND wearing a uniform took so much pressure off me re what to wear, what would this one think, what was that one going to say etc.

I was Catholic, not practicing. So I learned my religioun for the first ime pretty much.

In my grade alone, we had 4 Protestants and 3 Jewish girls. Some attended our religious ed classes with us, others were exempt and got a study hall. To be exempt, they had to be attending regular religious instruction in their own faith. Had to be documented, could not go on the parents' say so.

My class was the smallest graduating class in the history of the school (normally the first year such a school opens, that is the smallest; but we were it, the school had been opened 16 years). We were 43 to graduate, and it was the BEST! Of that, 41 of us went directly on to college. The other 2 weren't interested in college and went directly to work; within 4 years, both of them were at college full time too.

Our record will stand, as the school had added lots of new buildings and facilities and incoming classes are now in the 150+ range, ha ha.

Best wishes to your daughter; you are doing a wonderful thing for her!

jackie
01-23-2007, 11:01 AM
I wish her good luck, and think she looks cute in her uniform (love the Michael Jackson pose)! :p

DrKym
01-23-2007, 11:25 AM
I can't find Allen either LOl found the food, Love the school Idea! My oldest daughters were home schooled for 3 years, then into private schools for them also. Adrian will be going next year, for 6th grade until graduation, and Alex is in private school already.

Financially it is a nightmare, however with a scholarship that should help, also look into sponsorships from the church it is affiliated with. Sts Peter and Paul here in Alton have families that will sponsor a certain percentage of tuiton based on your childs grades. They go by the end of year grades and then pledge a certain amount for the upcoming year. It's a thought.

Good luck to her and happy studying!!

Lobodeb
01-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Where to start?

First of all, congrats again on the job and being able to put her into a private school! That's fantastic! There no better spent money than on an education.

And on the money front, are there really people here who would question how you spend YOUR money? :eek: :rolleyes: Please don't ever feel you have to justify your finances to us.

Again, kudos on doing the right thing. You're an amazing person! :D

Lady's Human
01-23-2007, 12:07 PM
What have you done?

Very simply put, you did the right thing! :D

I know if my child was having difficulty in public schools or I had issues with the local schools, I'd do the same thing.

lizbud
01-23-2007, 12:27 PM
but the prinicpal REALLY laid a guilt trip on thick about none of us attending church reguarly. He told her she HAD to go and be baptised, confirmed, etc in order to really get the full experience. She was like, "Uh, I'll get right on that :rolleyes: " I agree we should start going to church as a family, but she doesn't need to push 12 years of sacriments into one year just because she's attending a Catholic high school.

I went to private(Catholic) grade school, high school and a Catholic
College and never heard of anything like that. Is this principal a lay person
or a member of the clergy? Either way, I've never heard of such a thing as
guilting someone into going to a certain church or taking the sacraments.
There is nothing in church teachings about coercing someone into practicing
a Catholic way of life. Very unusual. Anywho, I hope your daughter enjoys
the experience & does very well there.

K9soul
01-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Where to start?

First of all, congrats again on the job and being able to put her into a private school! That's fantastic! There no better spent money than on an education.

And on the money front, are there really people here who would question how you spend YOUR money? :eek: :rolleyes: Please don't ever feel you have to justify your finances to us.

Well said! And if kids and our future aren't worth sacrifice and investment, what in the world is? I hope she enjoys it and is able to thrive much better there than in the public school. You'll have to let us know how she's doing!

carole
01-23-2007, 03:44 PM
I admire your decision to do what you have done, and yes even if it means a big financial struggle it is worth it in the end, i did something a little similar with Melissa when she was at pre-school, a montessori one opened just around the corner from us, i had transport problems and this was perfect,it cost us a bomb, and I often wonder how we did it back then, as we were way poorer than now, but we did and i think it has been worth it,so great stuff and good luck with it all.

joycenalex
01-23-2007, 06:58 PM
you did the right thing. the only thing more important then her education is... her health. i went to both public school and catholic school. the education was better in the catholic school system (1970's in detroit). and the only lasting ill effect of the catholic school system is a life time aversion to brown, blue and green plaid :rolleyes: :D :D

whomeee
01-23-2007, 07:30 PM
I sent my daughter to private school for 2 years and it did a world of good, she begged me to send her back to pub because "she was born to go to public school " and the sixth grade teacher in pub is the best teacher I have ever met and I wanted my daughter to be in her class. But I dont regret sending her to private school it helped to get her on track. I think Ambers biggest problem with private school was the uniform, she loves to dress for school.