PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Lived Alone And Liked it?

lizbud
01-22-2007, 06:52 PM
I've often wondered how many of us have lived on our own before marriage
or meeting a significant other? Also if they really felt comfortable doing so.

finn's mom
01-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I have, but only briefly. I loved it! I had my first living alone experience after marriage, though. If you'll notice a thread I posted about being afraid of the dark when I'm alone, that always took an effort on my part! But, I did become more at ease with it. I loved being in my own place, with no distractions. (In that I mean, I get more stuff done if I don't have someone there...I hate doing stuff like laundry or dishes if my boyfriend is home, for example!) But, that being said, I love living with someone who is respectful and understands the need for some down time and alone time. :) I like my living arrangement a lot!

davidpizzica
01-22-2007, 06:58 PM
I've often wondered how many of us have lived on our own before marriage
or meeting a significant other? Also if they really felt comfortable doing so.
I have. I don't know if i LIKED it, but I got used to it. I feel a lot better now that I have Moosmom (Donna) in my life.

Aspen and Misty
01-22-2007, 06:58 PM
No but I'm heading to Alaska in about 4 months and will live on my own for the first time! I going for a four month internship with a Mesuem of National history. 4 MONTHS! :eek: I've never lived on my own. Guess I'll let you know if I liked it or not when I get back.

Ashley

slick
01-22-2007, 07:05 PM
I feel a lot better now that I have Moosmom (Donna) in my life. If you don't mind me asking...what happened to Doreen??? :confused:

I've lived on my own since 1990 and I absolutely LOVE IT!!!! There's no way I would ever live with anyone again.

Rachel
01-22-2007, 07:08 PM
I was on my own for about 8 years between college and when I got married. I don't remember exactly, but I would say maybe five of those I had a roommate and for three I lived alone. Being entirely self supporting was an excellent experience and one I would not trade for anything. I even enjoyed living alone. That said, I don't want to do it again at this later stage in my life. If anything happened to my husband, I would definitely want to find someone with whom to share a home.

critter crazy
01-22-2007, 07:08 PM
I have never lived alone! I went from my parents, to the Army(never alone there)then met my hubby and got married!:D

Kalei
01-22-2007, 07:23 PM
I've never lived alone yet. but I think I will really like it. In september I will be going to a University and living on my own, i can't wait! I'll have to let you know if I like it:)

caseysmom
01-22-2007, 07:27 PM
At the moment living alone sounds like a slice of heaven!

cmayer31
01-22-2007, 07:43 PM
At the moment living alone sounds like a slice of heaven!

I agree. When I lived with my brother we rarely saw each other so it was like living alone and it was great! Living with one other person, my brother when he was around, wasn't bad either.

Living with three other guys two of which work opposite shifts isn't so much fun and I'd gladly trade it for living alone. I wake up at 6 am, the party last night started at 2 am and ended around 5 am. Got to love waiters and night shifts.

Glacier
01-22-2007, 07:53 PM
I lived alone for almost 10 years. I moved out when I was 17. Lived on my own all through University, bought a condo on my own when I was 24. I loved it. Got married when I was 26.

I still love it when Stuart goes away for a little while and I get to be on my own again! He's going to be gone for most of the summer/fall, which I won't love, but not because I don't like being alone. I like it when he's gone for a few days, not a few months!

prechrswife
01-22-2007, 07:58 PM
I did for about 6 months between living with a roommate and getting married. I really enjoyed it. My roommate was a kind of high-maintenance personality.

Freedom
01-22-2007, 08:02 PM
I lived on my own for 15 years, 3 different apartments in 3 different states. For the most part, I LOVED it.

I did a LOT of traveling, this country and abroad. I didn't have any ties to anyone or a house or anything.

Biggest problem was when something went missing - the remote, my glasses, my book. No one to blame!!!! :D

After 10 years, when I moved into the 3rd apartment, I got my first cat. Boy did THAT change the situation a bit! Uh HUH! Had to get used to bumps in the night. :rolleyes:

Karen
01-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Living with just Paul (and Miss Hoppy) is the fewest people I have ever lived with! I don't mind being alone, just never have lived alone for more than the few days at time he's gone to a conference or something!

Ginger's Mom
01-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Ah yes, and loved it.

Edwina's Secretary
01-22-2007, 09:50 PM
I lived alone from the time I was 21 (graduated from college and got a job) until my husband and I started living together when I was 41...so 20 years.

After all that time, learning to live WITH someone was a challenge. :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Things I liked and didn't like about being alone...things I like and don't like about sharing.

But I know I can survive..and enjoy... either one!

Twisterdog
01-22-2007, 10:04 PM
I absolutely LOVED living alone. I didn't realize how MUCH I loved it, until I tried living with someone else.

I love my husband, don't misunderstand ... but there are times I truly wished I still lived alone.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-22-2007, 10:21 PM
I had my own apartment for about a year before Eric and I moved in together. It had advantages, but the apartment didn't allow pets and I don't like being without one. I went out a lot with friends and didn't spend a lot of time there.

I like having time to myself, but I prefer living with someone. Eric and I have pretty different schedules, so we mainly see each other only on the weekends...if I didn't have my pets, I would feel kind of lonely, especially during the winter months when it's not that pleasant to be outside.

lute
01-22-2007, 10:36 PM
I've never lived on my own, but I'm considering moving out of the 'rents house sometime soon.

Uabassoon
01-22-2007, 11:12 PM
I lived alone for around 3 years before I moved in with Alexa and I LOVED it. It was so hard for me to give up my place and move in with someone. However now I'm enjoying always having her around. The nice thing though is that we each have our own private areas. The upstairs bedroom is where I spend most of my time alone and she spends most of her time in the downstairs master bedroom. Because of my work schedual it's easier for us to have seperate bedrooms. We still sleep together at night, but when I wake up at 3:30 a.m. to get ready for work I just have to go upstairs and not worry about waking her up.

ChrisH
01-23-2007, 05:30 AM
I've lived alone since '86 and love it!

Pam
01-23-2007, 05:56 AM
I went straight from my parents' home to getting married and living with a husband. :) At this point in my life living alone would mean that something has happened to my husband so I definitely would not like it.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-23-2007, 07:58 AM
I've never lived alone. I don't think I could. I can't stand it when Justin is away for even one night. I really hate being alone, even with the animals here with me.

Cataholic
01-23-2007, 08:51 AM
I lived alone from 1991-1995, and then again from 2000-2004. In 2004, Jones moved in..hee hee hee.

Pawsitive Thinking
01-23-2007, 09:25 AM
I went straight from my parents' home to getting married and living with a husband. :) At this point in my life living alone would mean that something has happened to my husband so I definitely would not like it.

Aaaawww that's lovely

pitc9
01-23-2007, 10:44 AM
I've never lived on my own but pray every night that I could right now.

sirrahved
01-23-2007, 10:48 AM
I ended up with my own dorm room for about six months. I hated it. I'm paranoid about being alone. Being married is much better!

jackie
01-23-2007, 10:53 AM
I love my own space!

I lived alone on and off for the last 7 years, and prefer to live alone.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-23-2007, 12:35 PM
I've always lived on my own and like it a lot.
I was engaged two times and it drove me nuts having to wait on someone all the time.
I've always been the independent type!!! :D

Felicia's Mom
01-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Outside of one or two cats, I have lived alone since the early 1970's.

I enjoyed it very much. I have always been a loner.

popcornbird
01-23-2007, 01:32 PM
I've never lived alone and would hate to live alone. I'm one of those people that just HAS to have someone around to talk to, to be close to, to spend time with, etc. I went straight from my parents' home, to living with my husband. I get my 'alone time' when my husband's at work, but honestly, I don't like 'alone time' very much. :o When my husband goes to work, I end up going to visit my mom, just so I'm not alone. When I need to get things done, I need to be alone, but otherwise, I NEED my family. Besides...9am to 6pm, while hubby's at work, is more than enough 'alone time' for me. I get so excited when he calls to tell me he's on his way home from work. He he he. I love weekends, because weekends are days we spend every moment together. There's nothing more special to me than walking together, shopping together, going to the park together, eating together, playing games together, surfing the web together, snacking together, visiting family/friends together, etc. Thank God my husband's the same way. He too, wants me to go everywhere with him, and spend every moment with him when we're together on weekends. I wouldn't have it any other way. I remember being alone in my room most of the time during my teen years, and I would never want to go back to that. Even when I *am* alone, I need my pets. :o

Glacier
01-23-2007, 01:40 PM
I absolutely LOVED living alone. I didn't realize how MUCH I loved it, until I tried living with someone else.

I love my husband, don't misunderstand ... but there are times I truly wished I still lived alone.

I totally understand! Stuart always bugs me about how much I enjoy it when he's away for a few days! I wouldn't want him not to come home again, but I love a brief break. I'm quite sure he enjoys it just as much when I go away for a bit! Except that he has to do all the critter chores! He normally does none of their day to day care so he gets a bit whiny about that!

Sophist
01-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I have, and have always absolutely loved it. It is going to be an adjustment when I get married in 9 days... I love having my own space and my own schedule.

However, if you were to take the dogs out of the equation, I think I might like living alone still, but not nearly as much.

Donnaj4962
01-23-2007, 03:27 PM
I lived alone after college for a year, then had a roomate for 2 years. At that point in my life, having a rommate was the best thing for me... emotionally and financially. Then I was on my own again for a year, then had a roomate for a year! Then was alone again for a year, then moved in with the man who would become my husband. We were together for 10 years, and now I have been on my own for almost 6 years. I definitely prefer living on my own, as I can do as I please and not worry about anyone else (well, except my kitties of course!) I can walk around nekkid if I want!

HOWEVER, I would like to be in a loving, trusting relationship once again, and I know that that could entail living with someone once again. And that is a compromise that I am willing to make to have someone in my life once again whom I can love and trust. I mean, I have done it before...

Does any of that make sense?

carole
01-23-2007, 03:39 PM
As a younger person i always went flatting as we call it here, sharing a house with a group of others, i only ever lived alone with my son when my first marriage ended and that was a long time for almost nine years, and NO i did not enjoy that experience one little bit, I was often paranoid at night, hearing every little creek in the house and scared, it became a real problem for me and often ended up having many sleepless night, i would never ever want to be alone again and hope not to be.

cassiesmom
01-23-2007, 09:34 PM
I do now. I don't always like it though. Thank goodness for my feline house-mate.

CONGRATULATIONS on your very upcoming wedding, Sophist! Best wishes!

Logan
01-23-2007, 09:38 PM
I did and I enjoyed it very, very much, Liz. :)

DJFyrewolf36
01-23-2007, 10:50 PM
When I am completely by myself I tend to get paraniod and lonely. I lived alone in college for about 6 months and was miserable. I ended up becoming a shut in. I lived with roomates too, and honestly though I find I am most comfortable living with my husband as opposed to living with him and roomates too. We aren't easy people to live with, but at least we can come to a resonable compromise if other people aren't involved if that makes sense.

CountryWolf07
01-23-2007, 11:04 PM
I live alone; it is lonely sometimes; but I like being in company of friends.. I recently met someone and I am liking being with him..

K9karen
01-24-2007, 12:01 AM
I don't want to live alone, I want to be LET alone... (sometimes)

I think Greta Garbo said that....

I have mixed feelings right now. I'm very independent in a lot of ways and don't always play well with others, especially when it's my house. :p

shais_mom
01-24-2007, 12:15 AM
I went from living with my parents to buying my own home in 1999 when I was 23.
I lived for about 3 months completely alone with no pets and then I ended up getting a dog - then a cat - etc.
I LOVE LIVING BY MYSELF!
Its nice to go spend time with my parents but I relish the time alone with my pets also.
When we talk husbands or significant other's at work - not helping around the house - dishes or laundry- I always say - "see I can't blame anyone - b/c if it is messy or piled up its b/c I did it!!"

mruffruff
01-24-2007, 02:25 PM
I've lived alone since 1985, sort of. I still had a teenager for a few years, but when she moved out, I was all alone. It was GREAT!!!

In 1989 I bought a house. My daughter was 25 and we thought we would share the house and bills. *******NOT!
She soon moved on and I got a dog----then another and then another! In the last 5 years, many cats have come and gone (rescued and rehomed) and 12 are now in residence. So I guess I've not really lived alone, alone.

But I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. But as Stacey says, there's no one to blame "if it is messy or piled up" :rolleyes:

ramanth
01-24-2007, 03:26 PM
I lived on my own for about 4 and a half years. It had it's ups and downs. I did want to live with Andy for a few months prior to our marriage but he didn't want too.

So essentially I had to get used to being married and having a roommate. *laughs*

lizbud
01-24-2007, 05:08 PM
I was raised in a big family & I loved it, but there comes a time when
you want to live on your own & just experience what it's like. After my
first year of college, I moved out on my own and loved the space to just
be myself. I felt good just paying my own way in the world. :)

Cincy'sMom
01-24-2007, 06:21 PM
I had my own apartment for about a year after I graduated college and before Ralph and I got married. I didn't mind it, but I don't think it is something I'd want to get too use to.

cyber-sibes
01-25-2007, 10:15 AM
I like it more than I don't like it.
I always had roommates before I was married the first time, & I didn't like that very well. Then was married for 19 years. After we divorced, I liked mostly by myself- our sons went back & forth between us. I really liked it. And it was very important to me to prove to myself I could take care of everything myself. (I only worked part time for many years while the kids were small) I'm very proud I could. Remarried three 1/2 years later. Now Im in Ohio and he's in RI...and I'm enjoying the change, but I wouldn't want it to be permanent. Not that there were problems or anything, he & I just have very different likes. He likes radio talk shows, news & politics, and sports, I like it quiet, love listening to music, and watching nature shows. It's nice to have control over my enviornment (gosh, the TV remote...all to myself! :D ) I've always had animals. I used to joke that I lived with my cat longer than either husband or the kids! Now he was good company!