PDA

View Full Version : Bath Fitters/Bathtub refinishing

JenBKR
01-22-2007, 10:18 AM
We are thinking of doing some remodeling in our upstairs bathroom, and having the bath tub refinished is on our list of things to do. We would rather have it refinished than replace the whole thing. Has anyone ever tried Bath Fitters, or any other bath tub refinishing company? How did it work out? How expensive was it? Thank you for any help!

Cataholic
01-23-2007, 09:02 AM
I haven't used them, personally. However, the home I moved into has a retrofitted tub surround, and I **hate** it. Someday, my plan is to save enough money to re-do it, back to tile or some other substance.

In my house, I think the tub surround looks cheap.

critter crazy
01-23-2007, 09:08 AM
I have been wanting to redo my bathroom as well, and have looked into Bathfiters, and just dont like it! I dont like the way they look! I will be just replacing my tub, thinking of just putting in a shower, since no one uses the tub anymore! give me more room for a larger linen closet! can never have too many closets!!:D

joycenalex
01-23-2007, 06:49 PM
i discovered a cracked tile near the spigot during my bath last night, so a new tub surround will be on my list soon. i went tio angieslist.com and checked out my local bathfitters franchise. they were a b level company and there were many other better ones, so likely i'll use someone else for the work.

JenBKR
01-24-2007, 08:10 AM
i discovered a cracked tile near the spigot during my bath last night, so a new tub surround will be on my list soon. i went tio angieslist.com and checked out my local bathfitters franchise. they were a b level company and there were many other better ones, so likely i'll use someone else for the work.

Thanks for that link - I'll have to check out the other companies too. Still not sure what I want to do, I guess I'll really have to look at the brochures and pictures to see if that's what I want to do. Thanks for your input everyone!

sirrahbed
01-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Our home had a liner-type thingy when we moved in. I LOVE it - mainly because the people before us had the tub removed and replaced with the full-size shower only. I love having that huge shower space. They also added sliding doors which I also love. When it comes time to remodel, I want to keep the shower only and have it tiled for a change. The one thing I do not care about with the fitter is the clear caulking at the seams - hard to keep clean.

mruffruff
01-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Both my sister and I had our baths redone by Carolina Rebath. I've been very pleased with the results. My tub was a stained and scratched mess in what was supposed to be white. I had it done in almond to match the rest of the walls. I have ceramic tile on the walls so I didn't touch them. It took less than a day (and $850). My sister had the walls and tub done in white. She says she sees shadows on th walls that look like gray streaks, but I can't see them.

Our houses are both over 60 years old so the tubs are probably that old, too. To tear them out would mean removing a wall and replacing it after fixing the tub/shower. I really wanted to eliminate the tub, but I'm glad I didn't. I've found uses for the tub, such as washing dogs and blinds.

And the house would lose some resale value without the tub.

Logan
01-25-2007, 11:40 AM
We have 3 resurfaced tubs in our home. Two of the three are peeling and are so UGLY!!!! Best case would be to rip them out and put in new tubs and showers, but that is not possible for us, right now. We put big, rubber rugs in to cover the peeling mess, and someday, we will either replace or do the recovering thing in both areas.

Logan