PDA

View Full Version : Pile o' Puppies

Catty1
01-21-2007, 07:56 PM
I saw these little guys at Petland, and HAD to take a shot.

What an armful, huh? :)

lute
01-21-2007, 08:01 PM
what cuties! I hate those wire floors they have. :(

critter crazy
01-21-2007, 08:04 PM
:eek: awww.....They are so cute!! ut i sure do feel bad for them!!!:(

pessimisaurus
01-21-2007, 08:18 PM
thats so sad :(

Catty1
01-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Whoa....didn't mean to cause sadness! :eek:

I talked to one of the staff there one day...they have a super adoption system, and I am sure those pups have gone to good homes by now!

Yes, the floors are wire...but there wasn't enough bed for the amount of puppy that was there. Perhaps they had arrived recently...

I just thought they looked cute - sound asleep, plump, and very comfortable.

pessimisaurus
01-21-2007, 08:46 PM
they certainly are cute! but its still sad to see knowing where they came from. thankfully in my area we dont have pet stores that sell puppies (though they do have 2 in bellevue that I know of.. :(). basically any responsible, reputable breeder would never sell their pups to a pet store, so its a guarentee any dog in a pet store (unless its represented by an animal shelter) is without a doubt from a puppy mill.

http://www.idausa.org/campaigns/petland/overview.html
heres a short article on petland specifically, though Im sure theres more detailed info out there on them too. I remember reading a long article written by a woman who worked at petland for some time of all the horrible things she saw there.

this isnt meant to attack your in any way or anything! Im just saying fyi, no problem taking cute pics but I just dont recommend buying any pups from them! :)

Catty1
01-21-2007, 10:29 PM
I know that in Calgary, the city nearest me, PetSmart has a reputation for buying from mills. I'll have to call the Humane and see what they say about Petland.

I haven't seen them advertising anything like "Cockerdoodlepoos"(I made that up, but you know what I mean) or some of those crazy "breeds". The adult cats and some kittens are rescues, as are some dogs.

Thanks, I'll try and get the scoop on this. :)

CagneyDog
01-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Petland is also awful for selling puppy mill dogs. Going into their stores are so depressing. In my experience, the employees know very little about ANY of the animals and they don't look to be in great health.

They sure are cute though.

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-21-2007, 10:49 PM
I know that in Calgary, the city nearest me, PetSmart has a reputation for buying from mills.

Petsmart only has adoption days, where adoption groups come in and try to find homes for dogs. Some dogs available for adoption might be kept in cages and such (the one near me doesn't do this, not sure about others), but the one closest to me only has adoption days and does not keep puppies/dogs in the store. Cats for adoption are always kept in cages, though. Petland is notorious for selling puppymill dogs and they claim not to. Everyone I know has boycotted Petland and I, nor they, ever shop there. If I have to go to a chain petstore, Petsmart is my choice. As far as I know, no Petsmart anywhere sells puppies or kittens. Petland does have a Pets For Life foundation to adopt out animals, which I think is absolutely ridiculous, as all Petlands sell pups and kittens. I'm in Calgary by the way.

Thanks for the pic though, the puppies are adorable. :)

Reachoutrescue
01-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Petsmart? Selling Dogs? Not by me. Out here the Petsmart only has cats from the Animal Welfare League has available. They also do adoption days. They do sell small rodents, birds, and fish. Maybe every Petsmart is different. Petland by me is know for selling puppies and kittens from mills. Isn't that weird that it is reversed in different states? Crazy.

buttercup132
01-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Petsmart? Selling Dogs? Not by me. Out here the Petsmart only has cats from the Animal Welfare League has available. They also do adoption days. They do sell small rodents, birds, and fish. Maybe every Petsmart is different. Petland by me is know for selling puppies and kittens from mills. Isn't that weird that it is reversed in different states? Crazy.She said PetLAND a known puppymill pet store.
Cute pups.

Reachoutrescue
01-21-2007, 11:02 PM
She said PetLAND a known puppymill pet store.
Cute pups.
I was responding to what Catty1 one and wrote. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Crikit
01-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Petsmart only has adoption days, where adoption groups come in and try to find homes for dogs. Some dogs available for adoption might be kept in cages and such (the one near me doesn't do this, not sure about others), but the one closest to me only has adoption days and does not keep puppies/dogs in the store. Cats for adoption are always kept in cages, though. Petland is notorious for selling puppymill dogs and they claim not to. Everyone I know has boycotted Petland and I, nor they, ever shop there. If I have to go to a chain petstore, Petsmart is my choice. As far as I know, no Petsmart anywhere sells puppies or kittens. Petland does have a Pets For Life foundation to adopt out animals, which I think is absolutely ridiculous, as all Petlands sell pups and kittens. I'm in Calgary by the way.

Thanks for the pic though, the puppies are adorable. :)

I've only ever seen adoption days at Petsmart in Calgary as well, and the only ones I've seen in cages (well ex-pens really) were some of the ARF puppies having a nap.

I try to avoid the Calgary petlands as well and prefer either the couple of petsmarts in the city or the smaller stores like Rascals, Fariplay or Paws(even though both of their stores are in the south). Yeah some of the stuff costs more but at least there's no worries about supporting petland.