PDA

View Full Version : Fingernails and itchy foot - REMEDIES, anyone?

Catty1
01-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Maybe it's because I have neem on tetracycline for 3 months for acne...ALMOST done...but I have several nails with a single ridge or line in them that splits as the nail grows, and it is almost impossible to grown them out.

Second - perpetual athete's itch on bottom of my right foot. I did the two weeks with sprays/creams, etc, and because it's the FOOT it is back already. And it keeps coming back!

I am gonna get a foot spa thingy - but what do I put in there to boil the you-know-what out of this pesky itch?

Tea tree oil? Powder from acidophilus caps? Vinegar???

Thank!

Karen
01-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Did you make sure to disinfect/clean out/replace the insoles of your right shoe and slippers? Once it's clear of your foot, you have to make sure everything your foot touches is also clean!

As for nails, I dunno if it works, but a friend used to eat a lot of jello to improve her fingernail strength ...

Catty1
01-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Can you recommend a good shoe disinfectant?

The remaining spray I have I shoot in the shoes before I put them on....but would be VERY glad to thoroughly disinfect them.

What is that stuff bowling alleys use? Would Lysol do the job?

THANKS.

RedHedd
01-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Jello does nothing for the nails; start taking Biotin.

Tea tree oil is a wonderful natural disinfectant and the oil helps keep the feet moisturized.

Catlady711
01-21-2007, 08:23 PM
I don't know anything about the fingernail splitting thing however I do know about athletes foot.

First of all, did you have it diagnosed as althetes foot? There are some other things like eczema and whatnot that mimic athletes foot and would explain why your creams aren't working.

If it has been diagnosed as athletes foot, there are several things you can do that will help. Although some people are just more prone than others to get it.

1) Don't wear the same pair of shoes every day. Have 2 pairs of work/school shoes that you can alternate.

2) The pair of shoes you're not wearing at the time, pull the tounge up and open them as much as possible for air flow. Set them near your heat register or better yet on a sunny day hang them out on the clothesline.

3) Change your sox at least twice a day. Using plain white thick cotton sox is best since you can bleach them easily when you wash them.

4) Keep using your creams, but always wash your feet before putting it on and make sure to dry your feet and between toes WELL, put a hair dryer on them if necessary.

5) Wash your shoes once a week in the washing machine, unless your dryer has one of those shoe shelves, stuff your shoes with newspaper and set near the heat register, or hang on clothesline. Make sure they are completely dry before wearing again.

6) Chose shoes that allow your feet to breath, not like a solid type dress shoe if you can help it.

7) Always wash your feet and between toes well when you shower, and dry your feet and between toes completely before even attempting to put on your sox. Use a hair dryer on your feet if necessary.

8) Keep a pair of sandles for wearing to a public swim area or anywhere you would normaly walk barefoot.

9) If your bathroom has a rug, wash it frequently, if you have linolium/tile mop it with bleach frequently.

Hope that helps. It's always worked for me and my family.

Catty1
01-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks!

I DO know it is athlete's, since the creams and stuff work great...but holy cow, it is hard to get it in the right place, keeping it up for 2 weeks, and then having it come back! :(

However, disinfecting the shoes makes HUGE sense. I don't have many pairs I can wash...but would gladly spray them silly inside and out if I knew what would work.

I know keeping my feet DRY is a key.

I like the changing socks idea. I'll take an extra pair to the office tomorrow. My feet do sweat easily.

It's always the right foot, in the same place!

I am seeing a dermatologist at the end of the month, and will ask her also.

Thanks again....

borzoimom
01-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Maybe it's because I have neem on tetracycline for 3 months for acne...ALMOST done...but I have several nails with a single ridge or line in them that splits as the nail grows, and it is almost impossible to grown them out.

Second - perpetual athete's itch on bottom of my right foot. I did the two weeks with sprays/creams, etc, and because it's the FOOT it is back already. And it keeps coming back!

I am gonna get a foot spa thingy - but what do I put in there to boil the you-know-what out of this pesky itch?

Tea tree oil? Powder from acidophilus caps? Vinegar???

Thank!
Bag Balm is excellent on the feet. It also has a anethespic, and the menthol in it is great for tired feet as well.
I have a spa foot thing too- I use epsom salts- but it does dry the skin.
Using powders in your shoes- if it like tennis shoes, replacing the inside with another liner helps.
Fingernails- tetracycline alters calcium absorbtion as well. Take a good womans multi vitamin, or the 500 mg of calcium- preferably at night- but check with the doctor first as some medicaitons will not work right with calcium additions. ( and uh I forgot if tetra is one of them...sorry :( )