PDA

View Full Version : Dog Transport?

Sevaede
01-21-2007, 01:37 AM
Okay, I have a question.

My dad works very long, very hard days. He and his wife (me mum) had three dogs. Trixie (rottie/gsd), Willy (bassett/dachshund), and Little Dog aka Kia (Yorkie). Long story short, it has come to be that Little Dog is going to come live with me (Willy and Trix are too big for my apartment, plus LD and I are incredibly bonded).

I won't be able to bring her back home with me on the flight but I was wondering if anyone knew of any places they could recommend for transports? I am not in a huge rush to get it done ASAP (cause it doesn't need to be ASAP) but would prefer to do it soon.

She was recently updated on vaccs (within the last couple of weeks, I believe), is calm, does not bite, but was previously abused and easily frightened so will *ALWAYS* need to be on leash and watched.

Thank you very, very much. :)

Kfamr
01-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Where does Little Dog live and where are you?

Sevaede
01-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Little Dog is currently in Pendleton, Oregon, and I am in Shreveport, Louisiana.

Karen
01-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Why can't she travel with you on the flight?

Sevaede
01-21-2007, 08:28 AM
I am thinking it can't be done because I figured it might have to be pre-approved by the airline(s)? :( She only weighs 9 lbs but *may* be too tall to stand up under the seats.

borzoimom
01-21-2007, 08:33 AM
I am thinking it can't be done because I figured it might have to be pre-approved by the airline(s)? :( She only weighs 9 lbs but *may* be too tall to stand up under the seats.
It would be alot cheaper to have her fly with you. YOu have to have a health certificate- you get that at the vet and they mark the shot records on this- and it must be on the dogs container.
When I fly with dogs, I use delta. Give them a call or any air line and they will tell you the requirements- like how early she has to be there etc, and any other requirements they have lately.

cali
01-21-2007, 08:56 AM
there were not any requirment when I flew with Happy and Misty to Kelowna...I just had to call after I booked my flight and tell then I had 2 dogs with me, tell then the crate sizes pay for it and that was that.

lute
01-21-2007, 09:47 AM
That's a looong way! It would probably be best if she just got on the plane with you. I'd call and see what all the details are at the airport. Finding people to transport that far is pretty hard.

Freedom
01-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Sugar flew here to Rhode Island from Ohio. As a priority parcel, in the pressurized section of the hold. She flew alone, no people with her. I like that you may even be able to take your dog as a carry on! Much better.

The vet certificate must be dated within 10 days of the flight. Rules vary from airline to airline but here are a few hints:

-tape a plastic baggie - or TWO! -onto the top of the carrier. In one you have all the dog's documentation, so whatever anyone asks for, you have it handy. This one can also hold the harness and leash for easy access once you reach your destination and can get the dog out.
In the other, you have some food, biscuits, etc.
- most likely, you will not be permitted to open the carrier, even if the dog flies with you in the cabin. So you want to have a plastic clip-on dish on the carrier. You can add water, or food. PetCo sells them, or they may come with the carrier you purchase if you have to buy something.

Check with the airlines, and they may even direct you to a web link so you can refer to the requiremnts for them over and over.

Good luck, let us know what develops!!!

Sevaede
01-21-2007, 03:59 PM
We're flying Alaska/Horizon. Luckily, I think everything should easily fall right in place. Little Dog had just been taken to the vets, got her rabies vaccine, and whatnot. Plus, we have a crate here that fits the dimensions that they require. :)