PDA

View Full Version : TD Test?

BC_MoM
01-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Does anyone here have the Therapy Dog title? Mickey's going for his test on February 3, and I'm quite nervous. I know Mickey will be perfect, but I don't know what to expect.

Are they easier than the seem? What kind of excersises do they put the dog through? What helped you and your dog pass?

Thanks in advance!

mr.chiwawa
01-19-2007, 09:29 PM
I am actually training my puppy to be one. I have come arcoss a site that has been great help to me thus far. I will attach it just in case you havent seen it yet. Best of luck to you. And if you dont mind please keep me updated I would love to know how it went for you and your dog.

http://deltasociety.org/

agilityk9trainer
01-19-2007, 11:10 PM
It depends on the organization you are going to as to what type of test you will need to pass. If you're going for your TDI (Therapy Dog International), then it's a pretty easy test. You must pass all 10 of the behaviors that a dog getting their CGC (Canine Good Citizen) must pass, plus you must pass having your dog be petted and held by a stranger and be accepting of a "strange" person. The dog must also be comfortable around wheelchairs and crutches. The "strange" person is usually a normal adult who begins to act very loud and unstable, just llike someone you might meet in any care facility.

To find out the test, Google "Therapy Dog International." It will have the test on-line. Some of the 10 things in the CGC are: walk nicely on leash, don't over react to noise (or other stimuli), sit quitely for petting, stay on 10 ft. lead, come when called, stay with someone while you leave dog's sight for three minutes (dog must not show signs of anxiousness), sit politely for grooming, stay in heel position when greeting another dog, and that's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

To prepare, work you dog on all 12 behaviors until they are fluent. I worked in heavily crowded areas. Petsmarts are great places because you can hijack the employees to pet your dog or help you with other parts of the test that require another person. It's also a crowded place with lots of carts, noises and stuff the dog must learn to deal with.

Don't be nervous. This is an easy test, and you'll do fine.

One more thing, the TDI is a certification - not a title. This isn't an important note, just so you will use the correct semantics in the future. :)

agilityk9trainer
01-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Oh yes. One more thing. Once you enter the building for the test, be prepared. My tester began testing me while I thought we were just "waiting" on the side. She threw down some broad jumps she'd been using for the class ahead of me near my dog and I. Fortunately, I was already "working" my dog, and I was able to respond to the "big noise" quickly. He jumped but immediately recovered. So the second you enter the building or grounds, be working your dog.

BC_MoM
01-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Wow, thank you so much for all of that information!

We're getting our certification (;)) from St. John's Ambulance Service.

I've been on a waiting list for 1 year. I'm so excited now. :)

agilityk9trainer
01-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Wow, thank you so much for all of that information!

We're getting our certification (;)) from St. John's Ambulance Service.

I've been on a waiting list for 1 year. I'm so excited now. :)

Good luck. If your test is through Delta or TD Inc., it will be different. Each group has it's own testing system. If your test is with a stand-alone group, then it may be something competely different.

mr.chiwawa
01-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Is it better to test through Delta? I was also looking into what the AKC offers. Is your dog a therpy dog? What do you reccomend?
Chi Hugs ----Julie and Mister(the dog hehe)

BC_MoM
01-19-2007, 11:52 PM
So is the test easier than it sounds?

I'm a little worried about the "Seperation" part of the test. Mickey will for surely whine. How can I work on this with him?

agilityk9trainer
01-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Most evaluators will not pass you if your dog whines. Some are more liberal than others. To work on this, get someone your dog doesn't know or doesn't know well. Go to a public place (again, Petsmarts are great). Have the person hold your dog. They can even give her treats to begin with if she is very anxious. You leave for just a few seconds (competely out of sight). Wait just a few seconds (about 10 or so) If she isn't acting up, return. your friend can yell "OK" if she's not acting up. If she's acting up, obviously your return will reward her bad behavior. If she starts acting up, you friend should distract her. Play, walking a bit, whatever to get her to calm down so you can return. Build up your time slowly until you reach five minutes. If you work for even more than required, you will be more likely to have success in the stresful situation of the test. Do this over several training sessions with several different "strangers." You might even be able to "hijack" a Petsmart trainer to help you, but the price you pay may be to have to listen to their pitch for classes.

Well, I don't want to say the test is a breeze. It will depend on how well trained your dog is. In the scheme of possible dog "titles" and competitions, the CGC and TDI would be considered passing kindergarten. Now, of course for someone in college, that's pretty easy, but someone in kindergarten might find it very difficult. But, I believe, as long as your dog doesn't show signs of aggression or being overly shy, I think you can retake the test. If you fail, just train some more and retake!

One thing I have learned showing dogs is that failure is not a big deal. It doesn't mean your dog or you are failures. It truly just means you need more training. No biggie. One of the best lessons I have learned showing dogs is how to deal with failure and success.

Mr. Chi,

As far as whether it's best to go through Delta, TDI or TD Inc. depends on what you want your dog to do in Therapy work. If you want to visit hospitals and nursing homes, TDI is an easy choice. It's easiest to get a TDI. If you want to work in rehabilitation clinics or go into educational settings in addition ot hopsital/nursing home work, Delta or TD Inc is your best bet. (The above info. may have changed since I looked into it about two years ago) However, you also might see what Therapy groups in your area use. You may want to go with whatever they use, as that group will be most inbedded in your area, and thus easier to find and work with.

mr.chiwawa
01-20-2007, 12:25 AM
thanks you have been a HUGE help. It seems like not too many people know about it in my area. So when I saw this thread I thought I would jump in. I want Mister to go mostly to childrens hospital and nursing homes. Like I said thanks again for everything and sorry if I intruded into the first thread. :o
Hope all works out for you.

agilityk9trainer
01-20-2007, 12:49 AM
You're welcome, Mr. Chi.

After I wrote my last post, I realized that some people might take offense at having their CGC or TDI certifications called "kindergarten," so I thought I would expound.

There are several levels in the competition titling system. Each level requires more advanced skills to be performed more efficiently. I heard someone compare the educational system in the US to the different levels of canine competition, and I thought it was a good way to distinguish between the canine levels as well.

Looking just at the AKC titling system, we find the CGC would be your first certification (it's not an official "title"). The behaviors are very simple in comparison to the other levels, however those who have the CGC should be very proud of their accomplishment. After all, how many dogs in the world really are trained to get a CGC? Very few. Be proud of your CGC, and put it at the end of your dog's name. You can see, even though I have a dog with the equivalent of a "doctrate," I still proudly list the CGC as one of his accomplishments. It was his first. All my dogs have CGCs.

The next level would be the Novice or beginning level. Getting one of these titles would be equivalent to graduating elementary school. These titles are not difficult to achieve. In AKC obedience, the CD (Companion Dog) is the novice level title. In AKC agility, the NA (Novice Agility) or NAJ (Novice Agility Jumpers) are the novice level titles.

After your dogs have graduated elementary school with their novice titles, you move into Open. Open is the intermediate level. These titles are more difficult to achieve. Your dog has to do more advanced behaviors and perform them with more accuracy. It would be like graduating from high school. AKC's Open obedience title is CDX (Companion Dog Excellent). AKC's Open level titles in agility are OA (Open Agility) and OAJ (Open Agility Jumpers.

After graduating from high school, your dog is ready for college. These titles are getting pretty prestigious. When dog people see these titles, they know you have trained your dog to a high level. The college equivilant in obedience would be UD (Utility Dog). The equivalent in agility are AX (Agility Excellent) and AXJ (Agility Excellent Jumpers. If you see these titles, you know the dog is doing very well.

After graduating college, the dog goes on to graduate school. The requirements can be stricter and it takes longer to get these titles. These are great titles, and owners celebrate these titles when their dogs achieve them. The obedince title is UDX (Utility Dog Excellent). The agility titles are MX (Master Agility) and MXJ (Master Agility Excellent). The "Masters" designation equals the same designation in the human educational system.

Then, comes the doctorate degree. These are the ultimate titles. There are no greater titles a dog can earn. These titles take great skill. In obedience, this title shows the dog has beaten many other dogs in competition. In agility, this title shows a combination of speed and accuracy. These titles are so important that they go at the FRONT of the dog's name, and not behind it. These are the Championship titles. In obedience, the title is OTCH (Obedience Trial Champion). In agility, the title is MACH (Master Agility Champion).

So, don't be upset that your CGC is graduating kindergarten. What a great start for your dog! Even if that's all you'll ever do with your dog, you've done mroe than almost anyone you probably know. Give your dog a hug and a kiss and always proudly display the CGC initials!

borzoimom
01-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Well- I was snickering at the 'kindergarden' remark this morning when I read this. I would not consider it 'Kindergarden', as I have met alot of obedience dogs that are afraid of wheel chairs and walkers- that are not calm enough to visit the patients- and dogs used in higher levels with sch. work- would be startled at the loud stranger- if not more so.
If you are working with a group, its usually a TD . The comment I wanted to make is that you have the choice to check TD or TDI. Here they were the same test- including the CGC. However- the difference for a TD is number one the age the of the dog can be below a year, and number two your name and information is not put on a national registry- able to be seen by anyone on the internet now.
When I put Zubin through it, I had been invited to attend two hospitals as they wanted another large dog. I still had to pass the test though. Zubin went through with flying colors ( actually I do not even think he noticed I had left the room). He was 10 months old. Because he was under a year, I had no choice but to test for TD ( without TDI registry) but I didnt want my name and address etc on a website anyway for person reasons.
Galina almost faltered on the hand off- took a step with me- but then stopped. Sighthounds in both tests are not required to sit but they do have to stay quiet. Mine just stood there like a living statue- watching the room with interest.. lol.
And agailityk9trainer is right- the test may start as you come in especially for a hospital group. They had wheel chairs, and a lady in a stumbling walker at the door.
Also you will probably be required afterwards that the few visits are supervised with the coordinator. You will have a hospital personel to walk with you on your rounds always. And when you come to a room- you always ask if they want a visitor- and if asleep, you remember which room were not visited and go back on your way out. When you enter the hospital, you will also have to leave your drivers license or some other form of ID at the desk ( at least they do that here.) Make sure you bring your shot records, and they will require you later to get a health certificate on your dog. This is given by your vet after an exam. The shot records and health certificate must be in the vest pocket on the dog at all time. Mine also required the TD orange tag. It also has the dogs avid number on the tag as well as their name.

Freedom
01-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Wow what a wealth of information in this thread! I am glad to see this; now it is part of PT and can be searched by others in future for some basics to get started.

I did pet therapy for 2 years with my cat, Sparkle. She is the only one of all 9 cats I've owned with the personality for it, she was perfect for it! I did it through a state wide program here. They had a training program and test for the dogs; not for the cats. I had to sit in on 3 hours of the dog training class, which coverd entering the room, asking if they would like a visit, all the things borzoimom mentioned. I was paired up with an experienced owner / dog for the first three visits, then the coordinator followed me around for the 4th visit to ensure all was fine. And I had to have all the health records, of course.

There was also a rabbit in the program!

It was SO rewarding. We visited a local nursing home, which included an
Alzheimer"s Ward. We had two really excellent experiences. One was a woman who was paralyzed. The staff would turn her periodically; and they made sure she was on her back for pet visiting times. Sparkle snuggled next to her and purred (she purrs easily) as I was chatting with the woman. Suddenly she interrupted herself to say she could feel the purrs through the sheets!

Another time we visited with a woman who had been in the nursing home 2 weeks (she arrived between pet visits), and had refused to speak the entire time. I settled Sparkle on her lap, and she leaned in and started whispering all her secrets to Sparkle. About how she didn't want to be there, but her family said she had to, how many children she had, and so forth. I had to keep looking up and away and let her talk. Sparkle is VERY good at keeping secrets!

I stopped after 2 years. I was the problem, not the cat. I would get to know that Michael in Room 202 wanted to see the cat, and then I would go and someone else was in 202; Michael had died. Things like that happen in nursing home visiting. Sigh! And I had to just swallow and move on with the visits. I just couldn't keep doing it.

It was very rewarding and I got to meet and chat with many many people.

mike001
01-20-2007, 11:43 AM
It is a little nerve racking the first time you do it, but it's not that bad really.
Your dog has to be unflappable in all sorts of things. Can't be scared of walkers, wheelchairs or laundry carts coming through. They usually drop a metal pan like a bedpan on the floor but your dog shouldn't jump or get nervous. Your dog has to be ready to sometimes be hugged a little too hard, but we're always there to help get the patient to release their grip. Some patiants are very loud, shouldn't be nervous about that either. Most happenings that are normal in a hospital setting. And the dog shouldn't be afraid of those slippery floors.
S :) ome dogs have always walked on carpet and are afraid of shiny floors that have no grip. Wish I could think of everything, but just a general idea.

borzoimom
01-20-2007, 11:53 AM
It is a little nerve racking the first time you do it, but it's not that bad really.
Your dog has to be unflappable in all sorts of things. Can't be scared of walkers, wheelchairs or laundry carts coming through. They usually drop a metal pan like a bedpan on the floor but your dog shouldn't jump or get nervous. Your dog has to be ready to sometimes be hugged a little too hard, but we're always there to help get the patient to release their grip. Some patiants are very loud, shouldn't be nervous about that either. Most happenings that are normal in a hospital setting. And the dog shouldn't be afraid of those slippery floors.
S :) ome dogs have always walked on carpet and are afraid of shiny floors that have no grip. Wish I could think of everything, but just a general idea.
Very good- as well as walk past food carts-.. lol. If you read my website, the kids order jello the morning they are coming..