PDA

View Full Version : Fish Skin

jackie
01-19-2007, 11:13 AM
OK, lately I have been eating LOADS of fish, and I have been wondering if the skin is unhealthy?

Everyone knows that chicken skin is loaded with fat, but no one knows about fish skin.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Lady's Human
01-19-2007, 11:19 AM
There is a layer of fat under the skin on most fish, but I seriously doubt it would be enough to cause any health issues.

Anita Cholaine
01-19-2007, 11:42 AM
In salmon, the fat under the skin is where the omega 3 is, so it is really good, but I'm not completely sure about other fishes. Anyways, I don't think it is bad a all.

Cataholic
01-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Have you begun to sprout gills yet? That, to me, would be the indicator.

jackie
01-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Have you begun to sprout gills yet? That, to me, would be the indicator.

Not yet, but I will be sure to keep you updated. :p

borzoimom
01-19-2007, 12:49 PM
In salmon, the fat under the skin is where the omega 3 is, so it is really good, but I'm not completely sure about other fishes. Anyways, I don't think it is bad a all.
This is also why I give it to the dogs as well.. ( only raw). they love it.. As far as ourselves, we eat alot of fish. I also read somewhere its rich in vit A and D which us woman need, not to mention iron.

jackie
01-19-2007, 01:18 PM
I also read somewhere its rich in vit A and D which us woman need, not to mention iron.

The skin? Or just fish in general?

borzoimom
01-19-2007, 01:24 PM
The skin.. Woman are told not to remove the skin when eating fish..

Cataholic
01-19-2007, 01:30 PM
The skin.. Woman are told not to remove the skin when eating fish..

I disagree with that statment. Women, in fact, people in general, should remove the skin from fish before eating for contaminant protection and fat protection.

I drew my comment from the EPA site.

Catlady711
01-19-2007, 01:46 PM
EPA fish advisory for women (http://www.epa.gov/waterscience/fishadvice/advice.html)

As I recall any fatty bottom feeder type fish you're supposed to remove the skin from; catfish, bass, etc. However I've eaten a ton of fish (skin on most of them) every summer for years without problems, but I get fish from a small private lake, dunno if that makes a difference.

borzoimom
01-19-2007, 01:53 PM
opps forgot about bottom feeders- but salmon are not bottom feeders.
Bottom feeders are different subject.. lol..

Pembroke_Corgi
01-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Even though fish has a lot of good oils and nutrients it's unhealthy to eat too much in a short time because of high levels of mercury and the risk from becoming sick with mercury. I don't know anything about the skin specifically.

jackie
01-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Even though fish has a lot of good oils and nutrients it's unhealthy to eat too much in a short time because of high levels of mercury and the risk from becoming sick with mercury. I don't know anything about the skin specifically.

Well, I eat about 4 or 5 servings a week, which shouldn't be a problem seeing as I am not pregnant or nursing.

Isn't it pretty much only shark and swordfish which have harmful levels of mercury, and shouldn't be eaten a lot?