PDA

View Full Version : Rodents & Water

Sam's My Baby
06-22-2002, 09:25 AM
Did u ever try giving ur rodent a bath? My gerbil, Sam HATES water! When she gets water on her fur she goes crazy and tries to get it off by rolling around a lot. How do your rodents act when they are put in water or are being washed?

Heather Wallace
06-22-2002, 11:29 AM
They hate it. Although they are good swimmers. If you are thinking of washing your hamster put only about an inch of water. remember to test the temperature. Keep a close eye on them and never leave them alone. Also you should only keep them in there for about 5 minutes and dry them well.

Bunnicula05
06-22-2002, 12:19 PM
they groom themselves, so i don't think water is nessesary. but i heard if they have oily, grimy fur to put them in some chinchilla dust/or sand. ~meg~

Lando
06-22-2002, 04:14 PM
Sometimes it is necessary because they have gotten real dirty and they can't clean theirselves. That's why I have to give my rats bathes because they will do sometimes gross things by accident. Cocoa is very calm which is surprising when she takes a bath.! I have never bathed my other one, because she is just to wild when she gets wet.

Aspen and Misty
06-23-2002, 06:22 PM
I do not bath my rats. I will put some water in the bottom of our tub though and let them swim to cool of when it gets to hot for them. When they walk in the water they walk on their tiptoe so they don't get their tummies wet. LOL. It’s a lot of fun. My mice used to love to swim. I would put all of them in the tub and to see them fight over which one got to be under the spout was so much fun. It was pretty crowded having the 25 of them in there but they enjoy each other’s company.