PDA

View Full Version : How do I mention a raise?

Pembroke_Corgi
01-18-2007, 10:02 PM
When I was hired at one of my jobs, (teaching piano lessons) I was told I would make so much per hour until January- when my boss said she would pay me an extra $2/hour.

So far, she hasn't said anything to the effect of "make sure you add another dollar per lesson." I add up all of my lessons and just give her an amount at the end of the month and she writes me a check.

I obviously want to make more, especially since she said she would pay it to me...but how do I approach this subject with her? Should I email her about it, talk to her in person (most likely over the phone since we don't get much time to talk in the studio) or simply add up my monthly wages with the new wage?

Help! I want get this raise, but I'm unsure how to approach it!

Craftlady
01-18-2007, 10:23 PM
I would talk to her personally or over the phone. Just ask her flat out, do I start my raise money this month, so I can bill my students.

slleipnir
01-18-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm not really sure. I guess I would just ask...I ask my boss all the time for a raise ;) She goes "yeaah, ok then. I'll get right on that" She must think I'm joking ;) lol

Twisterdog
01-18-2007, 11:05 PM
I would assume that she honestly just forgot. Sounds like something I would do! :rolleyes: I would be glad my employee reminded me straight out, instead of letting it brew into hard feelings.

I would mention it personally, not in a email.

borzoimom
01-19-2007, 07:54 AM
I would talk to her personally or over the phone. Just ask her flat out, do I start my raise money this month, so I can bill my students.
I agree- after all- you have to bill your students..

Pembroke_Corgi
01-19-2007, 08:21 AM

I agree- after all- you have to bill your students..
Actually, my students won't pay more. They pay her, and then she pays me a portion...I wouldn't be too keen on it if they had to pay even more- they pay enough already! :eek:

Pawsitive Thinking
01-19-2007, 08:30 AM
I was told I would make so much per hour until January- when my boss said she would pay me an extra $2/hour.

Just remind her of what she said - you are not being unreasonable and are worth every $

Cataholic
01-19-2007, 08:37 AM
I would do it in a light-mannered way.

"Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, we did discuss bumping my hourly rate up some in January"....or something along those lines.

Marigold2
01-19-2007, 08:46 AM
I would ask your boss directly or over the phone. I would just say" we discussed a raise last month and I would like to start adding that in now".
Keep in simple, direct and professional. Good luck to you, oh and Thursday is the best day to ask for a raise. I read that somewhere on a business website.

Rachel
01-19-2007, 03:51 PM
When I was hired at one of my jobs, (teaching piano lessons) I was told I would make so much per hour until January- when my boss said she would pay me an extra $2/hour.

So far, she hasn't said anything to the effect of "make sure you add another dollar per lesson." I add up all of my lessons and just give her an amount at the end of the month and she writes me a check.

I like the idea of speaking to her directly, and the wording used by Craftlady *Do I start my raise this month?*

If you are a hesitant to take that approach, you could always give her the amount at the end of the month with the option of two different figures, one designated as having the previously mentioned raise included.