PDA

View Full Version : Mistaken identity! LOL

Glacier
01-18-2007, 05:37 PM
We were supposed to be getting a new dog today, an elderly husky cross who has been residing at the local shelter for almost three weeks. The shelter had a litter of puppies with parvo so newcomers have been locked down in the isolation ward. No viewings, no adoptions to the general public. This old pupper wasn't doing well at the shelter--not eating, didn't like being indoors. So she was supposed be a coming to us as a long term foster.

I went to visit her yesterday and when she rolled over for a belly rub, it became plainly obviously that she is not a she! She is a HE!! How in the world everyone missed that for weeks is beyond me, but he is so stiff in the back end that lifting a leg to pee is likely impossible and he has a very, very thick longer coat!

Several weeks ago there was a lost dog report from the same area for a male with the same colors. The shelter staff found an old newspaper today and looked up the ad. Max is back with HIS owner as of this afternoon! They were both thrilled to see each other! Max is even older than we though--he is 14!

The owner had been looking for his dog, but never called about the found female! Remember if your dog goes missing, don't just call the shelters ect, go in, demand to actually see the dogs! Shelters are busy, understaffed places and sometimes even the obvious gets missed!

ComedyDevil
01-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Oh! Thank dog he was reunited with his owner! Poor old guy must've been so scared ... and something that couldve been so easily prevented. Bless you for being prepared to take him on, and for helping reunite him with his owner :)

DrKym
01-18-2007, 05:44 PM
LOL!! well why not ! Our cat had kittens fathered by a female................... they were all young and his testicles hadn't descended vet said 3 F 1 M so we put girlies in upstairs apartments and the boys down...............sigh now we have 'fatherless" kittens!

Glad to hear Max and his family are back together, all thanks to your belly rubs!! *pats on the back WTG* :D

Kym

lizbud
01-18-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm glad Max is back with his people. Good reminder for people looking for
their lost pets.

Ginger's Mom
01-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Ah poor misunderstood Max. Good for you for once again jumping in to help one of those needy dogs. I am so glad that Max and his family are reunited. :)

chocolatepuppy
01-18-2007, 08:04 PM
What a story! Thank goodness the dog is back with his owner. :)

Alysser
01-18-2007, 08:10 PM
That's a very nice story!! It's just a little funny about the identity crisis lol..Poor Max. :D
Glad he is back with his people.

Daisy and Delilah
01-18-2007, 08:42 PM
That's a great story all right!! :) I'm so happy to hear the outcome :)

areias
01-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Haha, good story, I'm glad they got reunited. Agreed-it's kind of easy not to notice a mistake on the paper.

At the boarding kennel I worked at, mistakes like that happened on the occasion. I remember one time...there was a chow mix named Casey, male, right? We came into some blood in the kennel in the morning, it's nose wasn't bleeding or anything, couldn't rightfully figure out where it was coming from. A little bit of investigated work found that it was a female in heat :p . NOT good in kennels that are open at the top! :)

cyber-sibes
01-18-2007, 10:27 PM
what a wonderful ending to your story. I'm glad Max made it back home, poor old guy. good thing you are observant! :eek:

lute
01-18-2007, 10:49 PM
What a cool story! I'm so glad the dog and owner were reunited! Good eye! ;) :p

pessimisaurus
01-19-2007, 12:52 AM
WOWZER! thats a crazy story! but with a good ending and a good lesson

jackie
01-19-2007, 01:30 AM
The owners must be so relieved!

pitc9
01-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Wow! I'm so glad HE is back with HIS owner!! :p

I once had a friend (who is afraid of big dogs) adopt a puppy from a shelter, the shelter told her it was a Female Lab mix. I went a saw the pup the next day and had not only break the news to her that it was a boy, but also had to tell her that her dog was a Mastiff mix!! :eek:
He's now 115lbs!! :eek:

borzoimom
01-19-2007, 08:11 AM
I cruise the local shelters on line to see if sighthounds are listed as received for the rescues. And contact other breeds as well if I see them. A few months back, they had listed a " Irish Wolfhound".. I just about had a stroke, called them and they swore up and down it was. I contacted the IW rescue- and they had them fax them a picture after much persuassion- and get this- IT WAS AN ANATOLIAN .. now- noooo kidding..
Getting the sex wrong is a common problem also. The statement that goes out from our rescue is to check - physically EVERY DOG that is missing as they can have it wrong..
( BTW- I dropped off the breed posters to our local shelters..lol. )

ramanth
01-19-2007, 08:52 AM
What a great happy ending!!

I second about actually going to the shelter vs. calling. When Zam went missing, I would call and ask if they had any calicos in. They'd say no, I'd go in anyway and they'd have at least three!! :rolleyes:

I realize they are busy, but it's just like Glacier said. Go look in person. :)

Marigold2
01-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Excellent post. A wise word to ALL pet owners.