PDA

View Full Version : Please Pray for Kishii *Updated*

Kalei
01-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Tomorrow morning Kishii is going to the vet for her first time ever. She is going to get spayed and I am already getting worried. I just don't want anything to go wrong in the surgery. They are rare but sometimes I have heard of bad stories where something goes wrong in those type of surgerys on cats and bun buns.

I feel so bad. Tonight I have to take Kishii's food and Water away at 8pm and then she cannot have anything at all until after she is back home from teh surgery sometime. Poor Kishii, she loves to eat so so much that she is going to drive me nuts when I take her food and water away. I was wondering, what does it do when you take the food and water away for 12 hours. Does it help the surgery somehow? What is it's purpose?

Anyways, please pray for Kishii's vet appointment to go well tomorrow:)

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/CDC1AB30-F666-4B38-BAC235ACF1448B04.jpg

critter crazy
01-18-2007, 05:12 PM
my understanding is that if they have food in their system they will vomit, and get food or liquid in their lungs. but not sure about that.

I will keep Kishi in my prayers!

Kalei
01-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Thank you so much! Pt prayers always seem to help so much:D

Chilli
01-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Kishii will certainly be in my thoughts. =] Though I'm sure everything will go just fine.
I know how it is to have a pet go into surgery, so I know where you're coming from.
((((hugs!)))) you'll have your baby back soon enough!

Husky15
01-18-2007, 08:01 PM
I know that Kishii will be fine, but I was definitely nervous when CC got fixed. They told me that I could call in a few hours just to see how he is doing, and I definitely did -- it was great to hear them say that he was just fine. So I'm sure that you can call and check in as well. She'll be in my thoughts, though. :)

Alysser
01-18-2007, 08:13 PM
I'll be praying for Kishii. He'll be fine!

chocolatepuppy
01-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Prayers headed out to Kishii. I'm sure she will be fine. My puppy just got spayed the end of December so I know you do worry. :)

Marigold2
01-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi Kishii,
My name is Benny, Benny bunny. My mommy took me to the Dr. in Nov. I went to sleep and when I woke up I hurt just a tiny bit. Mommy gave me some yummy pills to chew. I felt better. I am not so wild any more and I love to cuddle with my mommy. I even have a girlfriend now. Her name is Snowy and I love her very much. Don't worry Kishii you will be fine. Make sure your mommy gives you extra treats and kisses. Just wiggle your nose and look cute, like you did in the photo. Let me know how everything goes. We bunnies have to stick together. Grapes, peaches, apples and some fresh carrots made me feel so much better.http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Marigold2/Benny10cropped.jpg

cassiesmom
01-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Kishii, Cassie Kitty here ... my human said to tell you she will be praying for you and your person who loves you so much and she hopes everything will go terrifically well. Purrrrr.

buttercup132
01-18-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm sure everything will be fine. But GIVE HER FOOD AND WATER alot of vets don't realise rabbits can't throw up. Pretty silly that your vet dosen't know that if you ask me..but I'm sure she will still be fine.

Marigold2
01-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Hello,
How is Kishii doing? How did her surgery go? Alicia you are correct about the water and food issue. My vet told me the same thing.

Kalei
01-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Thank you so much everyone! Your great wishes and prayers mean so much to me and Kishii. I got up this morning at 7:00 and let Kishii run around on my bed happily until we left at 8:00. At 8:30 I was there to drop Kishii off. The Vet Assistant was very nice.

I kind of felt bad for her because there was a man in there really harrassing her about giving out someone else's phone number. I hope she is okay, when I left that man said he was going to be coming back for the number later, creeepy. Anyways I almost cried saying goodbye to Kishii since I won't see her until 5:30 after work. She may have gone through her surgery already and I don't know. I hope she is doing good and sleeping peacefully.

Marigold your Benny is the cutest little bunny, thanks for showing a picture of him to me. He's gorgeous and looks so cuddly:)

Unfortunately :( I never heard your messages until this morning so Kishii hasn't had any food or water since 8:00 last night. I feel so bad. I hope her little tummy isn't growling and that they let me feed her when I get home tonight.

I also hope that Kishii isn't too mad at me for taking her there. Thanks so much everyone, I will definately keep you all updated. And that's what I was thinking too. Rabbits can't throw up, so why would it really matter? Anyways, Kishii will get all her food back when I get her home tonight. I can't wait to see her!

Beki
01-19-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm really hoping that everything will be fine with kishii, she is a happy, dearing, full of energy rabbit and she is very strong!! I'll will keep hoping for her till i'm updated otherwise! take care and don't get worked up too much! the animals know when your hurting in someway and that may cause them to over-react. take care kishii and kalei! skyhla gives "paws" :p

Husky15
01-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Wow, I feel bad for that lady. Let's hope that everything is alright.

And, I don't know if this is right, but I heard that they also ask you not to give food or water so that there is none in their stomach when they go in. I mean, they do go in around that area. But I'm not sure.

Either way, I know Kishii will be fine. She'll be happy to come back here and rest for the night.

Kalei
01-19-2007, 11:52 AM
thanks Alex and Beki!:) I think I may call later to just see how she made out.

Kalei
01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Wow, I just called the Vet and she went to see if Kishii had been through her surgery and she came back and told me that she is in surgery right now! And that she is almost done and is doing just fine.:) That makes me feel a little better. It still makes me feel bad though just thinking of her poor skin being cut open:( I just can't wait to see her later. so right now as I am eating my lunch at work, I am thinking of how my little Kishii is doing in her surgery.

Marigold2
01-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Hello,
I am sure sweet Kishii is fine. They will give her some food after her surgery. Benny was not mad at me at all afterwards. He was just happy to be home in his room with some treats. I did keep him in his cage for two days. My vet said no hopping for a week, no steps. I didn't want him jumping on his bed. The vet should give you some pain meds. Benny had some for four days and it did help him. I could tell when he was in pain by the long on his face. He wasn't that bad, but he wasn't smiling either. Kishii will be very happy to see you and be home with her mommy.

TamanduaGirl
01-19-2007, 01:42 PM
You actualy aren't supposed to take food away from rabbits before surgery. your vet must just be treating her as if she were a dog or a cat but it's actualy not good for them to have the food held off, due to the way they digest if they get empty it can mess things up. I can't find a good site explaining it well. Sorry I didn't see this yesterday. Sounds like she's going to be fine now but I'd find another vet with bunny knowlage for the future.

http://www.willasark.com/rabbittriage.cfm
If you are bringing your bun in for neutering or spaying and they tell you to with hold food and water before the operation, then find another vet. Bunnies cannot vomit, so there is no need to with hold food and water A good vet will know this, and it may cause the bunny problems to go with out food anyway.

http://www.bestfriends.org/theanimals/pdfs/bunnies/rabbithealth.pdf
Surgery Contrary to the procedure with other animals, food and water should not be withheld from a rabbit the evening before surgery, but should be taken away the morning of surgery. If the veterinary office staff directs you to withhold food the night before, discuss the request with your vet. Generally, the reason that food is withheld from cats and dogs is the possibility of vomiting during surgery, but rabbits cannot throw up, so it’s not a danger with rabbits. Withholding food and water is harmful to rabbits and causes a longer recovery time from surgery.
To assist with the recovery process, as soon as the rabbit awakens from surgery, he should be encouraged to eat. After surgery, to help the bunny begin eating again, offer him a variety of his favorite fresh foods.

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/faq/
Q. Do I have to fast my rabbit before surgery?
A.
No, it is not necessary to have your rabbit fast (withhold food) prior to surgery or anesthetic procedures. Because rabbits cannot vomit, the risk for aspiration of food into the lungs is not as great as for cats, dogs, or humans. If your rabbit is going in for oral or dental procedures, however, it is a good idea to refrain from feeding him for up to two hours prior to the procedure to prevent any food particles from blocking the view of the mouth or oral cavity.

cassiesmom
01-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Kalei, any news from the veterinarian's office yet? I'm just wondering how your beautiful bunny is doing. Paws and fingers crossed. Please pet her for me when you see her again.

Kalei
01-19-2007, 02:11 PM
I definately will give her lots of pets for you!:) And Tamandua girl thank you for all the great info, I wish I would have known it sooner:( But its okay, I will know for next time now. I hope Kishii will be okay. She loves to eat so it shouldn't be too hard getting her to eat after she comes home.

If I would have known that then I definately would have asked for another vet. I'm glad I know now though, thank you. It is 4:15 pm here and I get to have her at 5:30, so the time is coming very soon. I am starting to get impatient with time lol. I will tell you all how she is definately!

cassiesmom
01-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Kalei and Marigold2, do bunnies ever make sounds? I don't remember my nephew's rb bunny ever "saying" anything. He didn't like to be held, so he would wiggle if he was held or snuggled too much. When he was happy (a piece of carrot! yea!), he'd change the direction of his ears and whiskers. Stinker, I still miss him.

Kalei
01-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Kalei and Marigold2, do bunnies ever make sounds? I don't remember my nephew's rb bunny ever "saying" anything. He didn't like to be held, so he would wiggle if he was held or snuggled too much. When he was happy (a piece of carrot! yea!), he'd change the direction of his ears and whiskers. Stinker, I still miss him.

Actually yes rabbits do make sounds but only when they are extremely scared, angry, or are hurting badly. When a rabbit is mad enough or territorial it will growl, it just sounds like a rumbling vibrating noise. And if a rabbit is in terrible pain they make a sound like a baby crying, its actually one of natures most terrible sounds of pain is the rabbit's cry. I hope I never ever have to hear it.

Anyways, I have Kishii back now! I am so happy that she is home:) She seems to be doing just fine, she's not dead so that's a very good thing. When I picked her up I opened her little carrier and she looked drowzyish and cuddled into my hand with her head. Now I have her back in her cage, I took a look at her surgery and it doesn't look bad, although I cannot see the stitches at all. Is that normal?

Also, she has alot of bloodstain coming from it. Is that normal too? It's not really wet blood now, it seems to be dry. Should I keep a watch on it just in case it starts to bleed?

Kishii was definately more able to be handled then she ever has before. Usually she moves around when I hold her and wants to run around, but tonight when I picked her up to put her in her cage she just let me do what I wanted without even moving. I put her water in her bed area so she doesn't have to hop out of it and also a little bit of food.

She has drank some water, but she doesn't want the food right now. She must still feel kind of sick. I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing though. The vet said to still not even give her food until tomorrow. But I gave her a little food if she wants it anyway.

I have a nice fluffy bed of hay for her to lay on, and outside of her bed I put my pillowcase so that when she moves around or wants to lay down on the floor that it is nice and soft:D When I took her to the vet in her little carrier I had my pillowcase as the floor too cause its soft and has my scent all over it seeing as I sleep on it lol.

I thought that if she had my scent with her before and after surgery that she might feel a hint safer and remember home. Anyways here is some pics I just took like 5 minutes ago.

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/3763E803-F979-4D41-A0E502439CB8EBB4.jpg

There's her bed with her water and hay!:)

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/686FEB83-52BF-443E-99A0B36DB5BCC489.jpg

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/93026B24-26E3-4CA1-B6E767B6DF4DAD94.jpg

And there's my pillow case. Maybe it will make Kishii love Horses too!

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/26F703F9-16FD-414A-9E6190C3A159ECC5.jpg

And there is her carrot. She usually loves carrots, but right now she just doesn't want it:(

Well all in all I am just so so glad that she is back home and the surgery went just fine:) I just hope she starts eating soon. I'm glad she is drinking though. I was going to take some pics of her belly but I didn't want to bother picking her up again just yet. I just want her to lay down and rest. Hopefully she will sleep good tonight.

Once again thank you so much everyone for your lovely prayers. They certainly have worked:D

Karen
01-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Don't worry about her not eating right away. Anesthesia has the effect on some critters - me included. It was a couple days before truly felt hungry again the one time I had general anesthesia.

Just keep an eye on things, and give her plenty of cuddles, she'll be back to her old form in no time at all, mom!

Zippy
01-19-2007, 09:25 PM
That is wonderful that everthing went ok with Kishii's spary. :D I know she is happy to be home.

critter crazy
01-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Glad to see that Kishi is home and safe!! She will be back to her normal self before you know it!!

Beki
01-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Hey Kalei,
That sucked thta i couldn't see the pictures (stupid dial up) but from what i read she is doing good and darn its snowing fluffiees here! ewe. lol but i'm glad that she is doing good after the sergury. People care for kishii, they gave you lots of good information. I'm glad to hear the information about the vets too! i'm soon going to put up a post for skyhla and her spaying! I'm really happy though that kishii is ok. I'll talk to you later.
BBye Kalei and Kishii.

Kalei
01-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks very much everyone! And thank you Beki. I will pray that Skyhla's spaying goes well too. I got two pics of Kishii's surgery. They might be slightly hard to see, but here they are.

http://i16.tinypic.com/2dl5852.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/2ivct1i.jpg

Last night I was so scared that she was going to bite the stitches when I was sleeping. But she didn't, she was a very very good girl. She even cleaned the blood that was on her fur and all around it. The stitches must be so good and tight because I can't even see them, but from the look of it the vet did a good job.

Right now she is having a little bit of wet poops and it is obviously because she hasn't had anything to eat until this morning. Last night she didnt' want to eat, just drink, but this morning I got her to eat a little. And she is already back to herself, she's all happy again and even wants to run around, but I won't let her just yet. I will let her sit without hopping for just one more day.

Kalei
01-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Wow, Kishii just loves my pillow case that I let her use since yesterday. The pictures showed that I have it on the floor of her cage.

That was always my most favorite pillow, but I love kishii so much and she just loves that pillow case (can't blame her, its so much warmer and softer than the hard floor) and she is so smart not to pee or poo on it, she uses her litter.

So, I am going to give my pillow case to my little Kishii. It can be her new floor:) And she will always remember me by it too, if I have to wash it, I will use it one night to have my scent on it again and then she will have me with her. I couldn't get over how much she loves it, she hopped out of her usual bed of hay and has been sitting so comfortably on it all day lol.

Oh and she did one thing today that has made me swoon. I was giving her some treats and when she finished one of her treats, she pushed her head right into my hand and wanted me to keep it there. It was soooo cute, like she was wanting me to keep my hand there and cuddle her head:D

chocolatepuppy
01-20-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm glad to here Kishii is home and doing well.:)

cassiesmom
01-20-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm glad to here Kishii is home and doing well.:)

I am too! :)

Kalei
01-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks you so much you two! And thank you everyone for the best of wishes!:)

buttercup132
01-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Glad shes doing better. I can't really tell anything from the pictures but looks good and fine. She still shouldn't be licking near it though. Also I was told to keep them caged for 5 days to a week not 2/3 days. Since your vet dosen't seem to know all that much on bunnies I think it would be best to keep her in for the 5 days.

Beki
01-21-2007, 06:56 PM
what buttercup 132 said sounds very logical. guess it is best to keep her in till you know that she is healing well! I'm soo happy that she is doing really good though! Keep Going Kishii! get well soon!

Kalei
01-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Glad shes doing better. I can't really tell anything from the pictures but looks good and fine. She still shouldn't be licking near it though. Also I was told to keep them caged for 5 days to a week not 2/3 days. Since your vet dosen't seem to know all that much on bunnies I think it would be best to keep her in for the 5 days.

Thanks Buttercup and Beki! Yes Kishii is doing very very well! I haven't been letting her out and running around yet. This is the third day, so whenever she is out of the cage its when she is just in my arms:) Don't worry she's not licking it at all anymore, I think she just really wanted the blood off her fur before, I would too lol. Sticky blood, ewe.

she's eating lots of hay now and treats, but she doesn't seem to want her pellets yet.

cassiesmom
01-22-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm so happy that she is doing really good though! Keep Going Kishii! get well soon!

I am too! feel better soon, Kishii, bunny honey!

Genny
01-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Glad to hear she's doing better now that it's over. She sure is a pretty rabbit :)

Kalei
01-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks!:D Kishii's tummy is looking very healed already and her fur is growing in fast, on monday or tuesday she will be going to get her stitches out:) I hope it doesnt hurt her.

I was wondering if they will put animals to sleep to take out stitches because if they don't, then Kishii is going to freak if the vet tries to turn her around, hold her down and take stitches out,I hate thinking about how scared she will be.

buttercup132
01-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Nah they just snip the stiches and they come out. My old bunny pulled hers out on her own:rolleyes: lol. I guess she didn't want to go back. Maybe my bunny was weird but her fur didnt fully grow back for like 4 months! She took FOREVER to get hers back.

Kalei
01-24-2007, 07:59 AM
Thanks so much bcup! lol do you mind if I call you bcup for short?:) You're bunny must not of wanted to visit that vet again lol. I guess it saved you a trip:p So far Kishii hasn't torn her's out so that is good, on monday or tuesday is when she is suppose to get them out. I can't wait til they are out and her fur grows back, hopefully it won't take four months lol. I'm glad your bun bun was okay after her surgery:D

cassiesmom
01-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Kalei, how is Kishii and how are those suture sites looking? It's been almost a week ... I'd hate for her to have the sutures in too long - with human skin that can make them harder to remove. :( Please give her a pat for me, her black coat is so pretty and shiny.

Kalei
01-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Kalei, how is Kishii and how are those suture sites looking? It's been almost a week ... I'd hate for her to have the sutures in too long - with human skin that can make them harder to remove. :( Please give her a pat for me, her black coat is so pretty and shiny.

Thank you so much Cassiesmom, I'm very happy to know that you care about her:D by suture sites I think you mean stitches right? OMG! I just picked her up and looked at them since you asked about them i thought I would check, and I think she already took them out herself!!!! :eek: It just lookes like holes on either side of the area where the stitches were going through :eek: I'm glad it is healed enough that it didn't open. Do you think I should still take her to the vet or not bother now? I can't believe she took them out :eek: I guess my bun bun was like yours buttercup!

Any suggestions as to if I should do anything?

buttercup132
01-25-2007, 04:36 PM
LOL! As long as there is a scab she is fine no need for a vet. I guess Kishi logged on PT and read what my bunny did and it sounded like a good idea lol:p They are brats I tell ya lol. You could take a picture and show us but I'm pretty sure by the sounds of it shes fine. Oh and I dont mind you calling me that lol.

Kalei
01-25-2007, 04:50 PM
LOL! As long as there is a scab she is fine no need for a vet. I guess Kishi logged on PT and read what my bunny did and it sounded like a good idea lol:p They are brats I tell ya lol. You could take a picture and show us but I'm pretty sure by the sounds of it shes fine. Oh and I dont mind you calling me that lol.

Man oh man I tried so hard to get a picture of it, but if I had the flash on it just relected the white part of her skin and made it so you couldn't see anything, and if I turned the flash off it just made it too blurry to make anything out. Stupid camera, I need a better one :o Anyway yeah there is a couple of tiny scabs from where he cut her open and only about 1 or 2 scabs where she pulled out some stitches, but there is about four more holes from the stitches she pulled out and they don't have scabs they are just holes in her skin like if you were to take out an ear piercing and let it heal over.

She is doing great and it doesn't bother her so I figure its all good. I will call the vet just to see if he still would like to see her or if he figures not to bother. lol and yes, Kishii must have been looking up at my screen before and read what your bunny did. lol they definately can be brats;) lol I"m glad you didn't mind me calling you that I thought it was a cute shorter nickname for buttercup. I'll just have to keep a watch on it to make sure it stays good:)

cassiesmom
01-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Anyway yeah there is a couple of tiny scabs from where he cut her open and only about 1 or 2 scabs where she pulled out some stitches, but there is about four more holes from the stitches she pulled out and they don't have scabs they are just holes in her skin like if you were to take out an ear piercing and let it heal over.

She is doing great and it doesn't bother her so I figure its all good. I will call the vet just to see if he still would like to see her or if he figures not to bother. I'll just have to keep a watch on it to make sure it stays good:)

Sorry about calling it a suture instead of a stitch. I'm a nurse so that's auto-pilot for me. I think your plan to call the vet and keep an eye on Kishii is perfect - could you give her another pat for me, please.

Kalei
01-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Sorry about calling it a suture instead of a stitch. I'm a nurse so that's auto-pilot for me. I think your plan to call the vet and keep an eye on Kishii is perfect - could you give her another pat for me, please.

lol, no problem Cassie! I will give her a dozen more pats just for you!:D She will love you for it!

cassiesmom
01-26-2007, 03:43 PM
lol, no problem Cassie! I will give her a dozen more pats just for you!:D She will love you for it!

couple dozen, please :)