PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Man Sentenced to 100 Days in Jail for Releasing Pit Bulls That Mauled 3 Men

Blue_Frog
01-18-2007, 12:37 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2803339

:(

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. Jan 17, 2007 (AP)— A man was sentenced Wednesday to 100 days in jail for freeing a trio of pit bulls that mauled three men, reportedly to "see what kind of trouble he could cause."

The length of time Bryan Smith will spend in jail coincides with the amount of time the most seriously injured of the victims spent in the hospital, said Van Buckley, a spokeswoman for Jackson County prosecutor's office.

Smith, 34, of Independence, was also sentenced to two years of probation and 100 hours of community service.

Judge Jeffrey Bushur imposed the sentence on three counts of third-degree assault after Smith conceded there was sufficient evidence for a conviction.

Neighbor Earl D. Howard Jr. told investigators that Smith had told him he was planning to release the dogs "to see what kind of trouble he could cause." Howard said he warned Smith against it, but he later saw the dogs jump out an open window and Smith laughing. Smith had been working on the house.

The three dogs attacked one man while he was out walking and two other men as they mowed grass.

The owner of the dogs, Paul Piper, was sentenced in October to two years of probation for violating the city's animal-control ordinance. Other charges are pending, Independence police spokesman Tom Gentry said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

jackie
01-18-2007, 12:54 PM
What a sicko!

I hope the men who were mauled make a speedy recovery.

kittycats_delight
01-18-2007, 01:06 PM
It's idiots like that that help fuel the media fire against pitbulls. In my opinion 100 days is not enough. I hope the men are all healing well and go after the jerk for monetary damages.

Is there any word on what did or will happen to the pitbulls? I hope they can do something other than euthenize them. But sadly it seems this is always the first choice in most cases. I hope not though.

Jadapit
01-18-2007, 01:19 PM
"Sigh" Yet, another idiot that has NO business owing a pit bull. People like him, honestly make me sick. They have no love for the breed at all. I too hope the men that were mauled make a speedy recovery.

elizabethann
01-18-2007, 02:08 PM
100 days?! That's it? :confused:

borzoimom
01-25-2007, 08:28 AM
I do not come to dog house much, and just saw this. It has taken me over 20 minutes to calm down enough to write- 100 DAYS??? My friend has been in jail longer than that by the time she got done- and it wasnt her fault- and she did nothing to start the attack. Granted the victum had a heart attack afterwards but still..
Do not worry about monetary damages- the sky is the limit here on these attacks as far as receiving compensation- and it can not be disguarded in a bankruptsy either!
I am not sure what they mean by animal control violations- it could even be that the pits were banned there- in that case- there will be another trail to penalities to that one..
We had another attack in our area again today.. I know that most of the state of Virginia has a pit ban- but I am not sure of that part of Henrico County or not.. And this was a 6 year old with his own dogs.. http://www.nbc4.com/news/10841903/detail.html

signorelli21
01-29-2007, 03:33 AM
yea isn't that retarded?

i just happen to live near there, pit bulls have not only been banned now, but if someone thinks you might have a pit, they can call a hotline and your dog is immediately taken by animal control.

all three dogs were shot by the police, one of the men mauled will never fully recover, and yet the man responsible for all this, who was living in the house illegally as it was abandoned. gets 100 days in jail.

you get more than that for being in possession of a controlled substance, but then who is more of a danger to society?

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/9164015/detail.html

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/9752235/detail.html

caseysmom
01-29-2007, 09:47 AM
I do not come to dog house much, and just saw this. It has taken me over 20 minutes to calm down enough to write- 100 DAYS??? My friend has been in jail longer than that by the time she got done- and it wasnt her fault- and she did nothing to start the attack. Granted the victum had a heart attack afterwards but still..
Do not worry about monetary damages- the sky is the limit here on these attacks as far as receiving compensation- and it can not be disguarded in a bankruptsy either!
I am not sure what they mean by animal control violations- it could even be that the pits were banned there- in that case- there will be another trail to penalities to that one..
We had another attack in our area again today.. I know that most of the state of Virginia has a pit ban- but I am not sure of that part of Henrico County or not.. And this was a 6 year old with his own dogs.. http://www.nbc4.com/news/10841903/detail.html

You were going to post the news article from your friends case and you never did? I thought you were against the bans?

finn's mom
01-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Banning pit bulls is a pathetic idea. Even if you do manage to deter idiots like that from getting pit bulls, which isn't going to happen, they'll just move along to another breed and end up souring the reputation and the breed itself. There are other breeds with the tenacity and strength of the pit bull. All the bans do is disallow good dog owners who love the breed from getting pit bulls. The morons who dog fight do everything illegally anyway, what makes them think that a law like that won't be broken just as swiftly? Ugh.

I hope those three men recover and that the filthy creature who released them gets some help.

Depending on how far gone the pit bulls are, euthanizing them may end up being the best for the dogs. I'm not for euthanizing dogs for no reason, and I'm certainly not for euthanizing an animal just because of his breed...but I can't imagine a dog living a very healthy, happy life when they are treated in such a fashion that they willingly and without hesitation attack human beings. But, not knowing all the details, it's hard to make a call on this particular situation.

Jadapit
01-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Banning pit bulls is a pathetic idea. Even if you do manage to deter idiots like that from getting pit bulls, which isn't going to happen, they'll just move along to another breed and end up souring the reputation and the breed itself. There are other breeds with the tenacity and strength of the pit bull. All the bans do is disallow good dog owners who love the breed from getting pit bulls. The morons who dog fight do everything illegally anyway, what makes them think that a law like that won't be broken just as swiftly? Ugh.

I hope those three men recover and that the filthy creature who released them gets some help.

Depending on how far gone the pit bulls are, euthanizing them may end up being the best for the dogs. I'm not for euthanizing dogs for no reason, and I'm certainly not for euthanizing an animal just because of his breed...but I can't imagine a dog living a very healthy, happy life when they are treated in such a fashion that they willingly and without hesitation attack human beings. But, not knowing all the details, it's hard to make a call on this particular situation.

Very WELL said Kari! Thank you so much for that post.

DrKym
01-29-2007, 11:18 AM
The dogs were shot on sight. There isn't an option of euthanasia, the police felt that since the attacks were several blocks from each other, that the dogs presented a real and present danger to the community being loose.

My heart goes out to the men and their families during this time. My heart goes out to the mother of the young man that so sick that he would take an animal and create a weapon.

100 days in jail seems rather light, however that is only on the one charge. I hope that the families of those that this man harmed bring civil cases against him, and I hope that one lawyer there knows to ask for mental help, a few years of lobotomies may help...........but seriously, as this man won't have money to pay damages and money won't solve it, I hope that he does get the help needed. His dogs died for his mental illness, seems a shame that they were so loyal to such an unloving creature.

finn's mom
01-29-2007, 11:21 AM
The dogs were shot on sight.

Sad, but it sounds like they made the right decision.

cyber-sibes
01-30-2007, 10:45 AM
One more sad example of animals paying the ultimate price for their owner's stupidity. Can't fault the police for shooting the dogs, what choice did they have after such vicious attacks? I'll be praying for the families & victims, what an awful thing to go through. Hard to believe this idiot only got 100 days. Not exactly what I'd call justice for someone who caused bodily harm to 3 people & the death of three animals.

lvpets2002
01-30-2007, 11:10 AM
:mad: OMG how So So Digusting & Horrible ... I am even sadder for the three men & wish them speedy recovery.. So what happened to the dogs?? Did they get put down?? :(

areias
01-30-2007, 11:27 AM

I just read your article and had to comment...notice it does not say the breed of dog in that article? It was probably some kind of mix, or a lab or golden or something. However, if it was a pit bull, they would gladly say "Vicious Pit Bull Turns On Boy" or something similar. :rolleyes: Thank you, media. Thats why people think most attacks are from pits. If its not an aggressive breed, it dosen't get mentioned.

Jadapit
01-30-2007, 11:33 AM
I just read your article and had to comment...notice it does not say the breed of dog in that article? It was probably some kind of mix, or a lab or golden or something. However, if it was a pit bull, they would gladly say "Vicious Pit Bull Turns On Boy" or something similar. :rolleyes: Thank you, media. Thats why people think most attacks are from pits. If its not an aggressive breed, it dosen't get mentioned.

I noticed that also. The picture they have of the "snarling" pit bull made me sick. Why does the media always have to portray them that way? :mad:

borzoimom
01-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Actually the dog was pit as well as 3 others in the house. They have since updated the article .. let me find it. Richmond is pretty far down from where I am.

caseysmom
01-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Actually the dog was pit as well as 3 others in the house. They have since updated the article .. let me find it. Richmond is pretty far down from where I am.

Do you have the article about your friend?

caseysmom
01-30-2007, 01:19 PM

Actually you are wrong, they were rottweilers...

http://wfls.com/News/FLS/2007/012007/01252007/1169747002

borzoimom
01-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Actually you are wrong, they were rottweilers...

http://wfls.com/News/FLS/2007/012007/01252007/1169747002
Wow!! They put here it was a pit and 3 others as well.. hmmm. Well I am sorry regardless.
My friends case is archived. She also just got out of jail. She went to live with a family member- vowing at this stage to never own a dog again..

caseysmom
01-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Wow!! They put here it was a pit and 3 others as well.. hmmm. Well I am sorry regardless.
My friends case is archived. She also just got out of jail. She went to live with a family member- vowing at this stage to never own a dog again..

I never saw anywhere where anybody but you said it was a pit.

borzoimom
01-30-2007, 01:54 PM
I never saw anywhere where anybody but you said it was a pit.
That is what they printed in our paper the Northern Virginia daily- .. I cant be responsible for the news.. I still want to know what happened. ..

caseysmom
01-30-2007, 01:54 PM
That is what they printed in our paper the Northern Virginia daily- .. I cant be responsible for the news.. I still want to know what happened. ..

Where is that article?

borzoimom
01-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Where is that article?
I don't know- look it up.. Here is the link but good luck finding anything.. If my scanner worked I could scan the newspaper article. They do not keep all the articles archived. YOu have to remember- I live in a remote area.
Northern Virginia Daily

caseysmom
01-30-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't know- look it up.. Here is the link but good luck finding anything.. If my scanner worked I could scan the newspaper article. They do not keep all the articles archived. YOu have to remember- I live in a remote area.
Northern Virginia Daily

I am sure I won't find that so I am not going to try.

borzoimom
01-30-2007, 02:15 PM
yea they are pain.. Its a small paper- but circulates pretty wide.. Shenandoah, Fauquire, Warren- the whole Shenandoah area. Including Front Royal.

DrKym
01-30-2007, 02:22 PM
I found the paper and several helpful emails and links first shot on Google.

http://www.nvdaily.com/Subscriber_Services/Contact.html

:)

caseysmom
01-30-2007, 02:24 PM
I found the paper and several helpful emails and links first shot on Google.

http://www.nvdaily.com/Subscriber_Services/Contact.html

:)

I doubt we will find any mention of pits.