PDA

View Full Version : Rocky got a bath today!

critter crazy
01-18-2007, 12:04 PM
I decided to give Rocky a bath Today, just to see how he tolerates it. He is going to the groomers on Monday, so I just wanted to make sure he would be a good boy. He did fabulous, he didt look all that thrilled, but behaved very well.
But now I understand why a goomer is so important! Boy is it tough on the back bathing a dog this big in a tub!

He looks so pathetic in this pic!
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/Our%20Critters/100_4626.jpg

Relaxing after mommy torturing him with a bath!
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/Our%20Critters/100_4630.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/Our%20Critters/100_4632.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/Our%20Critters/100_4634.jpg

During his bath i did notice, that rocky seems to be a tad thin. I can just feel his backbone, and his rib cage, he looks fine with all that fur, so i never even noticed. Gotta keep an eye on him, and make sure he gets some weight on him, just enough, dont want too much.

the other thing i noticed was how awsome his fur is! after his bath, and after 3 large bath towles to dry. I brushed him, and noticed his fur is all wavy! it looks like hair from the 80's after it has been crimped! He he he he he!

borzoimom
01-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Looks like you have the same issues I have- they fill the whole tub and my guys are longer! lol
They will blow out old coat just tell him you gave him a bath so they use a mild shampoo.. ( God I love your dog!! I hunt for your posts with pictures!!!)

lvpets2002
01-18-2007, 12:16 PM
;) You bad mommy put your baby thru this.. Poor Rock :D He sure hopes you didnt show anyone the picture of him in the bathtub.. Thats ok I wont tell Rocky that everyone saw the pictures.. :p

borzoimom
01-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Crittercrazy- what are you feeding him?

critter crazy
01-18-2007, 12:48 PM
My Dogs get Nutro with Glucosamine. I know it isnt the best but, itis what the dogs like.

borzoimom
01-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Not bad actually. Increase his food like a half a cup. With arthritis you want them a little light, but visible ribs he needs a few pounds.
That would be a half a cup twice a day...

critter crazy
01-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Not bad actually. Increase his food like a half a cup. With arthritis you want them a little light, but visible ribs he needs a few pounds.
That would be a half a cup twice a day...

will do, thats what i figured i would do. Yeah I know about the weight with arthritis, my last dog had this, and we had to be very careful about weight gain. Thanks for the help!

borzoimom
01-18-2007, 01:10 PM
well- you also having something else coming that will make the link with the arthritis too.. ;)

critter crazy
01-18-2007, 01:11 PM
well- you also having something else coming that will make the link with the arthritis too.. ;)
Why yes I do!;)

Freedom
01-18-2007, 02:05 PM
What great photos! In the tub, his face says it all. "Aw, mom, how COULD you? I thought I was forever free of all this!" And post bath, wow, LOOK at that fluffy tail! So bushy and full, what a great tail! Thanks for posting!!!

elizabethann
01-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Oh Rocky, you poor thing. :D

Anita Cholaine
01-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Rocky, I know you felt miserable during that horrible bath, but doesn't it feel great to be clean? ;)

Daisy and Delilah
01-18-2007, 05:04 PM
You're such a big handsome boy Rocky!! We love seeing you :) Have fun at the groomers ;)

buttercup132
01-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Awww:)Your right he doesn't look too pleased. If you don't properly dry them though they can get really bad thyroid problems especially if you leave them wet by the hips;)

critter crazy
01-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Awww:)Your right he doesn't look too pleased. If you don't properly dry them though they can get really bad thyroid problems especially if you leave them wet by the hips;)

I have never heard of this??? Seems weird to me, i mean dogs get wet all the time, from either swimming or the rain! I dry them as best as I can with towels, and then they air dry te rest of the way.

Ginger's Mom
01-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Aw, he doesn't look happy in the bath, but he sure looks handsome afterwards. :) I give you a lot of credit for even trying to give him a bath in the tub.

buttercup132
01-18-2007, 07:14 PM
I have never heard of this??? Seems weird to me, i mean dogs get wet all the time, from either swimming or the rain! I dry them as best as I can with towels, and then they air dry te rest of the way.That's what I was thinking too, I don't think people dry their dogs with a blow drier after every time they swim in the lake or something. That's just what I was told at work:confused:

Kfamr
01-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Rocky is too darn handsome. I just want to cuddle with him. What a good boy he was for his mommy!

I've never heard about the thyroid problems due to being wet, either. I'd imagine being wet would have nothing to do with thier thyroids. I do know that they can sometimes get hot spots if not properly dried.

k9krazee
01-18-2007, 07:42 PM
He is so handsome! I think I have yet to congratulate him into the family, so congratulations!! :D

I've never heard about the thyroid problems due to being wet, either. I'd imagine being wet would have nothing to do with thier thyroids. I do know that they can sometimes get hot spots if not properly dried.

I was thinking along those same lines.

critter crazy
01-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Rocky is too darn handsome. I just want to cuddle with him. What a good boy he was for his mommy!

now that makes some sense. I could see tem havingproblems, especially if the soap isnt properly rinsed out as well.

Thanks everyone for the woderful comments! Rocky has been a joy to have these last two weeks,a nd now i cannot immagine life without him!

borzoimom
01-19-2007, 07:23 AM
I have never heard of this??? Seems weird to me, i mean dogs get wet all the time, from either swimming or the rain! I dry them as best as I can with towels, and then they air dry te rest of the way.
They don't honey.. Thyroid problems is a medical issue- not a bath issue.

critter crazy
01-19-2007, 07:27 AM
They don't honey.. Thyroid problems is a medical issue- not a bath issue.

thats what i thought.:)

borzoimom
01-19-2007, 07:32 AM
The only thing that can happen with a bath is a soap allergy- or if the dog is already sick like with distemper, it can weaken the immune system farther.
None of this applies usually to a healthy dog. Flea shampoos usually are the biggest offender. I use frontline on my guys by the way- With these long coats, no way could I see the fleas until it was too late. You might want to start this before the weather turns warmer. I take mine off December to February- then back on.. And with 4 dogs- fleas are out of the question! lol..

critter crazy
01-19-2007, 07:37 AM
The only thing that can happen with a bath is a soap allergy- or if the dog is already sick like with distemper, it can weaken the immune system farther.
None of this applies usually to a healthy dog. Flea shampoos usually are the biggest offender. I use frontline on my guys by the way- With these long coats, no way could I see the fleas until it was too late. You might want to start this before the weather turns warmer. I take mine off December to February- then back on.. And with 4 dogs- fleas are out of the question! lol..

Already Done!!! Frontline is always in this house!! I buy in Bulk online!! he he he he!! Maggie dont like fleas, and neither do my critters!!!:D

borzoimom
01-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Give that mush of a face a big kiss from " Aunt Michelle"... ( God I love that dog.. lol.. )

critter crazy
01-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Give that mush of a face a big kiss from " Aunt Michelle"... ( God I love that dog.. lol.. )

umm no kisses at the moment as Rocky and duke, are in the process of slimming each other!!:rolleyes:

maxanton
01-19-2007, 08:17 AM
I took Max in for a bath after a terrible two weeks of snow, sleet and rain. I go to a do-it-yourself place where they charge by the pound. Max is 33 lbs and 13.50, but I do all the work. However it is set up so it is so easy--all the shampoos, conditioners, clippers for nails, combs of all sizes, etc. right at arm's length. Max does not enjoy it, so I don't draw it out but my girlfriend spends over an hour there w/ her guy. I love the ingenuitity of the names of these doggie wash establishments! We go to "Ruff House" , down the street is "Hollywood & Whine". My sister takes her dogs to "PetDaddy"--GOOD LUCK-- ROCKY!

ramanth
01-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Such a clean and handsome boy you are Rocky. :D

Lady's Human
01-19-2007, 09:04 AM
There's nothing quite as pathetic as a Saint during a bath.

Those big, sad eyes saying Awww, didya HAVE to?