PDA

View Full Version : Socializing Kittens?/Beeb's baby update :(

emilysgk
01-18-2007, 01:43 AM
So Beeb's babes next door are almost 5 weeks (where does the time go?? I need to get more pics) they hate people. :( They have been kept in the bedroom because of the male kitty problem, but still had plenty of people time, and kid time also. They still want nothing to do with human contact. If you pick one up they are so scared and screaming for dear life. :confused: So a few days ago I decided to NOT pick them up. (They dont live with me, but I do my best) Instead I would just sit next to them, talk to them, and pet them a little. They dont seem to mind that all too much, but still rather if you didnt. So I did that a couple times a day for a couple days and still no warm up from them. Today I had the little girl meezer on my lap, no holding her, she was going to crawl off so I used my hand to just try and guide her away without physically moving her... she bit me, twice, hard..lots of teeth. So then she moved around a little more and seen my other arm just sitting on my lap...she bit again, only getting a sleeve this time. :eek: I got sad news also... The talk is that she plans to take them to the humane society, possibly at 6wks, and likely mom, she cant get her fixed and dont want her to get pregnant again, but she is so quick with the door. Beeb came engorged and pregnant again, so 2 litters in a row, a 3rd would be horrible! She is such a good kitty. In our area the humane society is always overflowing and I worry they wont get adopted out. I figure mom would be last if she did, the two meezer kittens would likely go quickly (if they start liking people) and the other 3 kittens would be up in the air. :( There is no way I could take them either, I have too many of my own problems. I guess this turned into a update also...

So how do I get the babies to like people? Im hoping its there age and they get better really soon. I have only been around 1 litter of kittens and they were not like this.

kb2yjx
01-18-2007, 04:12 AM
For now, just being there with them and letting them crawl about you is good. Once they get to the shelter, they workers there, when they have time, will work hard to socialize the babies. Please make sure your friend NEVER gets another pet!!! What did I read on a sign: If you cannot afford the pet, and you cannot take them to the vet, so not get them!!! So sad....

Catty1
01-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Also, go to Google, and type in: "Free spay and neuter in ______" (type in the name of your state or province there).

You'll be amazed at what comes up!

Also....just sit with the kittens and talk nice to them....let them come to you. This will take a few more days...but they will be curious and want to check you out. Is there a little string you can drag as a toy to tempt them to play? A few small kitten treats would help too.

That way, they make the connection between you and FUN and YUMMIES.

Good luck!