PDA

View Full Version : My paintings of our dogs.

Canis-Lupess
01-16-2007, 06:03 PM
I have two border collies of my own and I'll post their portraits that I have painted. I'll also post a third of another border that lived next door with my brother and his GF. The painting was an xmas gift for them because they had to have her put to sleep in June last year because of a womb infection that spread to her kidneys. She was the daughter of Mist, my older dog, and younger sister to Jess, my younger one.

Here is the painting of Tess, the one who died.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Canislupess/Tesstext.jpg

Here is her sister Jess, one of mine.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Canislupess/jesssmalltext.jpg

Here is her mum, Mist, also mine.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Canislupess/mistsmalltext.jpg

Sorry about the text on them. It's to try and prevent them from being stolen.

Kfamr
01-16-2007, 06:06 PM
WOW! Those are gorgeous. I speciall like the layout of the first one. The last two look like photographs!

How much do you charge?

Welcome to Pet Talk! :)

applesmom
01-16-2007, 06:06 PM
You're very talented. They're beautiful! :)

cyber-sibes
01-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Beautiful work!!! That is so sweet of you to paint Tess. They're all very striking dogs. Welcome to PT!

agilityk9trainer
01-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Wonderful work! Wish I had that talent. I can only draw stick figure dogs!! :(

buttercup132
01-16-2007, 06:17 PM
WOW! Those are gorgeous. I speciall like the layout of the first one. The last two look like photographs!

Ditto! Your really good!

mike001
01-16-2007, 06:25 PM
That's amazing. They look like oils, are they? Very talented, go for it. :cool:

Canis-Lupess
01-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks all. As my dogs are old, Mist is 14.5 and Jess is about to turn 13, I thought I'd better hurry up and get their portraits done so that I don't cry the whole time trying to do one when they have passed.

I work in mixed media using acrylic, watercolour pencil, coloured pencil, black drawing pen and some graphite maybe in places.

To see more work, you can visit my website in my profile. I do commisssions and have just sent one off to the U.S of a wirehaired dachshund called Lucy. You can see her portrait in my website too.

I don't make a living from this yet but, hopefully, someday, I will and combine it with photography, another interest I have.

cmayer31
01-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Those are all very very good. It's amazing how much the second ones do look like a photo.

whomeee
01-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Those are great you even have the stare down great. keep up the good work

GreyhoundGirl
01-16-2007, 07:26 PM
:eek: *jaw drops*

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! You drew those?!?!?!?!?! AMAZING!!!!!!!! :eek:

I can't even dream about having talent like that. It's amazing! If the first one didn't have triplets of the same dogs, I'd have thought they were photos. :eek: They are THAT good. The fur is perfect, the stance is perfect, the stare is perfect.

There is really nothing to critic, they're perfect!!!! :eek:\

Are you positive the 2nd isn't a photo? :p

Vermontcat
01-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks all. As my dogs are old, Mist is 14.5 and Jess is about to turn 13, I thought I'd better hurry up and get their portraits done so that I don't cry the whole time trying to do one when they have passed.

I work in mixed media using acrylic, watercolour pencil, coloured pencil, black drawing pen and some graphite maybe in places.

To see more work, you can visit my website in my profile. I do commisssions and have just sent one off to the U.S of a wirehaired dachshund called Lucy. You can see her portrait in my website too.

I don't make a living from this yet but, hopefully, someday, I will and combine it with photography, another interest I have.

You are an amazing artist! :)
I looked at your website and I really love the horse and cat paintings.
We have a couple of other talented artists here at Pet Talk that you will probably like to meet named Wolf Q and Catnapper.
Welcome to Pet Talk, I hope to see more artwork from you in the future. :)

Genny
01-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Wow! I'd love to be able to paint like you! You're very talented.... Nice work. How long does it take you to paint a whole picture?

Danegirl2208
01-16-2007, 10:07 PM
wow! Those are wonderful, you are very talented!

mr.chiwawa
01-16-2007, 10:46 PM
do you ever paint for other people. Im only asking becuase i fell in love with your artwork and was wondering if you ever did it for others and took money for it

Canis-Lupess
01-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Yes, I do commissions.

I'm painting a personal piece at the moment, a horse, and then I'm going to paint my aunt and uncles obese and spoilt Jack Russell, lol. I need to go and take some photos of her to use as reference.

Yes, the second painting is a painting, lol. I posted the work in progress in two different art forums. If you saw the actual painting, you can tell it is a painting....LOL.

Go here to see a close-up I posted of it in deviant art. http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/46452555/

Click on the image to enlarge it. You can see the brush strokes and such better in that photo.

As far as the amount of time it takes, I never really know. I might spend a month and a half on one painting but that isn't working on it all day everyday. As I work part time and have other things like looking after my dogs etc...I might not get to work on paintings for days on end, even over a week and I keep going back to them until they are done. Hence not having the foggiest idea how many hours they take. :D

I'll look forward to meeting Wolf Q and catnapper. :)

I also like photography. I'll have to post some photos I've taken of my mutts.

Are there any size requirements for images that you upload to the site rather than having them hosted by the likes of photobucket? I've had a look around to see if I can find anywhere that states size requirements but haven't seen anything. Saves uploading them all to photobucket which only allows you so many images anyway before it charges you.

mr.chiwawa
01-17-2007, 01:40 PM
would you ever consider doing one for a non family member?

Canis-Lupess
01-17-2007, 03:45 PM
I've done loads for non family. Actually, I've done very few for family compared with non family. Family can be more risky as they tend to abuse you more. I did one for my sister and I'm still lumbered with it because she hasn't paid for it and doubt she ever will. I learnt my lesson there. No more without 50% deposit up front. I had the same thing done to me by a work colleague...he left and got another job to avoid me. I wasn't stupid enough to give him the painting though so I still have that at least.

mr.chiwawa
01-17-2007, 06:39 PM
How much do you charge..I have been trying to find someone that could do one of my little guy but noone in my area seems to be as talented as you i have found a website that looks nice but im still thinking. thanks for taking the time to write back to me and again your work is just breath taking ;)

Canis-Lupess
01-18-2007, 08:48 AM
I could paint the boxer with his ears but I can't paint the one with his ears cut off. I am against docking and cropping and I feel that painting them is going against my personal feelings about it. Fortunately, cropping is banned here in the U.K so I've never been asked to paint a dog with cropped ears.

I'm not having a go at the fact that your dogs ears are cropped but it's a personal thing.

Anyway, I type more later, I have to rush off quick... :)

pitc9
01-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Wow in Deed! :eek:
You do wonderful work!
I would be interested in having a painting (or 2) done of mine as well!
I'll be in contact!

lute
01-18-2007, 09:36 AM
WOW! You are AWESOME! I love your website too!

Pawsitive Thinking
01-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Wonderful work! Wish I had that talent. I can only draw stick figure dogs!! :(

Me too!

Incredible paintings - what a talent to have

WELOVESPUPPIES
01-18-2007, 11:56 AM
I could paint the boxer with his ears but I can't paint the one with his ears cut off. I am against docking and cropping and I feel that painting them is going against my personal feelings about it. Fortunately, cropping is banned here in the U.K so I've never been asked to paint a dog with cropped ears.

I'm not having a go at the fact that your dogs ears are cropped but it's a personal thing.

Anyway, I type more later, I have to rush off quick... :)

Thanks anyway but I could not have a painting of one and not the other. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Good luck with your painting...you do a marvelous job.

lisahumphreys882
01-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Those are extraordinary paintings. They are very life-like :)

dukedogsmom
01-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Those are amazing! You do such beautiful work. I know you'll cherish those of your own dogs now and even more, later. Thanks for sharing.

pessimisaurus
01-19-2007, 12:53 AM
BEAUTIFUL, AMAZING, GORGEOUS!! I love the first one, and the 2nd one is flawless!! I agree with everyone else- it looks just like a photo!! thanks for sharing and welcome!