PDA

View Full Version : Rally anyone?

Flatcoatluver
01-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Well I signed Zoey up for rally class, we start on the 27th. I am very excited, but am hoping Zoey will enjoy this as much as agility. Zoey needs to relax and listen, so I am hoping this will help. I can't remember if there is any members that do rally? Please reply if you do rally, I would like to know how you feel about it, from what I was told that Rally is a newer dog sport.

GreyhoundGirl
01-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Please reply if you do rally .

Can we reply if we don't do rally? It sounds way cool. Go Zoey!!

borzoimom
01-16-2007, 05:09 PM
I have borzois, and they do not rally... lol. but I love to watch it.. Severel will have words for you but I am just glad you found a new sport! ;)

Kfamr
01-16-2007, 05:11 PM
What is Rally, exactly? I've never heard of it, but good luck!

Flatcoatluver
01-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Can we reply if we don't do rally? It sounds way cool. Go Zoey!!
NO!! Just joking of coarse you can reply. I am hoping that Zoey will enjoy it, my boss/trainer thinks Zoey will excel in this sport.

.sarah
01-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Nova and I do rally! We have our first show on February 10th and 11th. I'm really excited. We took an obedience and rally class last year. I had wanted to do formal obedience but after the class I realized it was too structured for me and the rally is better suited for us. Nova will not do a long sit stay. This is where we failed each time during the class. She always lays down! Since Rally is more forgiving and fast paced, we both enjoy it more.

Kay, here is a website that explains rally a bit: Rally-O (http://www.canismajor.com/dog/rallyo.html)

borzoimom
01-16-2007, 05:17 PM
What is Rally, exactly? I've never heard of it, but good luck!
This is rally... - http://www.apdt.com/po/rally/default.aspx

Suki Wingy
01-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Does anyone know if there are mutt clubs doing rally? I always thought rally was like a combo of obediance and agility, and easier than both.

Flatcoatluver
01-16-2007, 05:21 PM
I know the place I am training Zoey at allows mutts and actually encourages rescue dogs to do rally. I am sure there is a place around you.

.sarah
01-16-2007, 05:22 PM
I always thought rally was like a combo of obediance and agility, and easier than both.
It is :) I'm not sure if there are any mutt clubs doing it, but probably not yet. It's a new sport to the AKC, and I believe the CKC has added or is adding it to their sports soon.

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-16-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't do Rally, but would love to with Tango. Good luck with Zoey!

Kfamr
01-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Oh, that looks like such fun! I wish Kiara wasn't so spooked by things. She'd do wonderful with something like this. Maybe if/when she comes out of her shell.

Again, good luck to you and Zoey!

Flatcoatluver
01-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Oh, that looks like such fun! I wish Kiara wasn't so spooked by things. She'd do wonderful with something like this. Maybe if/when she comes out of her shell.

Again, good luck to you and Zoey!
Maybe once Moo get's a little older? I think he would be good at rally, he is so smart.

agilityk9trainer
01-16-2007, 11:17 PM
I compete in Rally and have for several years. My two shelties have the Elcellent level Rally title (RE - equivelant in level (but not difficulty) to the UD in obedience).. My five year old sheltie is only two Double Qs away from his RAE (equivalent in level to the UDX and the highest AKC Rally title offered). My three-year-old boy is five QQs away from the RAE. Ten QQs are required.

Rally is a great obedience sport for agility dogs for for dogs just getting into obedience. The heel and much of the work is judged much less strictly than in formal obedience. This allows me to compete in an obedience sport without having to work very hard at heel work. The problem with working too much heel work with an agility dog is that the dog can easily become "velcro" and not desire to work far away from you as needed at the highest levels of agility. They become very left-side oreinted.

Rally is a course of signs. You heel with your dog from sign to sign and when you arrive at the sign, you do whatever the sign says. You must have a heel and you must teach your dog each of the signs. In the Novice (beginning) level, the dog is on leash and the signs are basic obedience commands. In the Advanced level, the dog must heel off lead, and the signs get more difficult. The Excellent level has the most difficult signs, and again, the dog must be off-lead.

The dog is timed from start to finish, and the top score with the fastest time wins.

As for mixed breeds, APDT has offered Rally for many years (which is why I've competed in Rally for so long). AKC has only had Rally for two years. APDT allows mixed breeds to participate. You can reach them at apdt.com (it might be apdtdogs.com). And, it could be apdt.org. They should also have a list of places offering APDT rally shows. My shelties' APDT Rally titles are R1-MCL and R2-CL.

Rally is a great sport to get involved in with your dog. It's a very positive sport, and will give you and your dog great obedience control in other situations as well.

Have fun!