PDA

View Full Version : Stress relief ideas needed, please!

Pembroke_Corgi
01-16-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm pretty sure I've done a thread like this before- but as stress is always peeking round the corner I need some more ideas!

I am a bit overwhelmed with working 2 jobs and dealing with homework and such for my masters degree. AND NOW MY CAR WILL NOT START! And my time sheet is due today...I'm waiting for my husband to get back from a doctor's appt. so I can at least hand that in to get paid this month.

My first instinct is to buy a huge bag of chocolate- but as I don't have a car and it's too cold outside to walk to the store, I will have to find another idea. Besides, I'm trying to cut back on sweets. :p

Please, could you share some stress remedies that work for you?

Riptide
01-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Whenever I get stressed or angry, I try to rip the phonebook in half.

Pawsitive Thinking
01-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Bach's Rescue Remedy - works for me!

BC_MoM
01-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Definitely try walking (with the dogs!). What a great stress reliever!!

borzoimom
01-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Well - you are welcome to use our whirlpool, but I agree- a good walk with the dogs.. lol..

Cataholic
01-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Drink. :p

RedHedd
01-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Exercise, take a bath, play with your pets, roll up some newspaper and beat the heck out of your bed - scream while doing it if it won't disturb the neighbors, turn on some music and dance like nobody's watching.

I also like to cook when I'm stressed. I tend to cook with reckless abandon and like to experiment with different flavors and foods, although when stressed be very careful with large, sharp knives. :p Some of it actually turns out very good and then I get to eat it! :)

DrKym
01-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Redhedd beat me to it! I too cook to relieve stress, while things are simmering or baking I walk the Bratchildren, come home and eat then take a LONG bath complete with candles and smellies in the water (I tend to use gardenia but lavendar is good) while soaking I read an completely useless and inane trash mag or book. (enquirer or a harlequin romance) something that just lets your mind wander and you will find humour in. Followed by fave jammies a cup of tea or cocoa or glass of wine (depends on my mood) and stupid I don't have to follow the story line TV!

Hope this works for you too....would you like me to run the bath? ;)

lute
01-16-2007, 01:22 PM
I always work out. Turn on the fitTV channel and get a quick stress relieving work out. Play with your poochies! They are always up for playin and it helps.

Husky_mom
01-16-2007, 01:32 PM
I´m more of the unstress kind of person, but when I do I take it calmly

I like doing puzzles or drawing or something to keep me busy (as weird as it sounds, I tend to do house chores in an angry mood to keep my mind off of things :P)

there is this one other thing very very GOOOD......a punching bag......I love punching when overly mad/stressed and it feeels sooooo goooood!!!

RedHedd
01-16-2007, 03:33 PM
I read an completely useless and inane trash mag or book. (enquirer or a harlequin romance) something that just lets your mind wander and you will find humour in. Ah yes! I also do that - Good trashy, mindless blather. Watching Entertainment Tonight or The Insider is also good. Another stress-relieving thing to do if you don't have a frost-free freezer is to defrost it - whacking at the ice with a hammer REALLY helps! :D

Pembroke_Corgi
01-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the ideas...I am feeling a bit better now. I will just have to wait and see how much the car costs to fix- then I will certainly try all of the above! :D

Kfamr
01-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Boy, I could use some suggestions, too! Eesh, especially since I am running 2 swaps and a contest - and people just like to make it hectic. :p

At work, when I'm feeling stressed, I go in the walk-in freezer where no one can hear me and scream. :p It was recommended to me by a co-worker. I feel so much better when I walk out. ;)

Really, though, a nice walk with the dogs or simply sitting outside in the yard with them. Cuddling on the couch with a pup or two works, too. ;)

BC_MoM
01-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Eesh, especially since I am running 2 swaps and a contest - and people just like to make it hectic. :p

Like me!

Kfamr
01-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Like me!

Please knock it off.

BC_MoM
01-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Please knock it off.

Oh, ok. I'm sorry. ;)

lvpets2002
01-16-2007, 04:08 PM
:) Going home after work & hugging each baby with whisker kisses {cats} & cold nose smoochs with the (dogs).. Giving out treats & watching them all be so happy && that just makes me so happy that I forget anything else going on.. Yes long walks too.. ;)

lizbud
01-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Is there any chance you might be able to lessen the stress by dropping
one of the two jobs? You sure have a load to carry right now. :) I usually
find any type of physical exercise helps me drain stress.

DrKym
01-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Redhedd it must by our redheads! Trash Tv and Trash lit are great stress relievers! Cooking and bathing after a really good walk??? what can be more relaxing? Warm kitties in lap while pupsters snooze from the extra excercise and a full tummy and no brainer Tv!
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

GMTA redhedd!LOL :D

Pembroke_Corgi
01-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Is there any chance you might be able to lessen the stress by dropping
one of the two jobs? You sure have a load to carry right now. :)
I would like to finish out the school year at the school because I want a good reference from a school- I think it will help me when I'm a teacher, and I don't want to quit piano lessons because I make nearly twice per hour at that job than the other. I know it would be easier if I just quit one.

But, for once in my life, I actually like my jobs, so I'm just trying to manage my time better- all together I only work 35 hours a week. But I could certainly use more exercise, so I will try to do that more! :D

Uabassoon
01-16-2007, 07:10 PM
I agree that taking a long walk is a great stress reliever. Whenever I'm feeling a little stressed out I like to hit the gym. Sometimes when Alexa is feeling extra stressed I'll drag her (kicking and screaming :D ) to the gym with me. As much as she complains she always feels much better afterwards.

Catty1
01-16-2007, 07:21 PM
One or more of these thoughts might help?.... :)

Subject: Statements by stressed women

1. You - Off my planet

2. Not the brightest crayon in the box now, are we?

3. Well, this day was a total waste of makeup.

4. Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

5. And your crybaby whiny-assed opinion would be...?

6. I'm not crazy, I've just been in a very bad mood for 30 years.

7. Allow me to introduce my selves.

8. Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

9. Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

10. I'm just working here till a good fast-food job opens up.

11. I'm trying to imagine you with a personality.

12. Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you weren't
asleep.

13. I can't remember if I'm the good twin or the evil one.

14. How many times do I have to flush before you go away?

15. I just want revenge. Is that so wrong?

16. You say I'm a bitch like it's a bad thing.

17. Can I trade this job for what's behind door #2?

18. Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it?

19. Chaos, panic + disorder - my work here is done.

20. Earth is full. Go home.

21. Is it time for your medication or mine?

22. How do I set a laser printer to stun?

23. I'm not tense, just terribly, terribly alert.

DrKym
01-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Catty I LOVE YOU
I am now printing that out on Card stock matting it and framing it. I consider all warned.......... :D

Catty1
01-16-2007, 07:40 PM
My absolute fave is #16!

PCorgi, sounds like there is not only a light at the end of the tunnel, but also an end to the tunnel. Hope we can keep you lifted all the way there....laughing, bathing, and walking doggies! :)

slick
01-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Bach's Rescue Remedy - works for me! You know, I've just recently discovered this. Sure, I read about it on here and how it helps kitties, but I've got alot going on right now and I'm stressed to the max. Four drops in some water really, really helps me. Give it a go. :)

DrKym
01-16-2007, 07:46 PM
HEHE Catty my dear my fave is #5!

Cincy'sMom
01-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Drink. :p

Amen!

Sports/working out works well too. Nothing like kicking the crap out of a soccer ball to relive a little stress!

Marigold2
01-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Oh I know what you mean about stress. I went to the eye doctor today and got bad news again. I have glaucoma and my levels are way above normal. I have to have laser eye surgery on the 26th. I have had it before and frankly I would rather have my toe nails ripped out. It is the worst thing to go through, the worst. However if it saves my eyesight that is what I do. So today was a hard, bad day for me. How did I relieve the stress. Well I told myself how lucky I was to have such wonderful friends, three healthy sometimes annoying children, precious pets, a warm home and I wasn't dying. I grabbed a bag of popcorn and sat down and read a good book. Sometimes I take a bath with a bag of chocolate and a book and a glass of wine or some kind of drink with fruit and vodka. I like to joke that I will drink anything with an umbrella. Good luck to you and remember, this to shall pass. Congrats on working on your masters. You have already done so much postive in your life. Be proud, be strong, the best is yet to come.

Marigold2
01-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Oh I love those, very funny.

sandragonfly
01-18-2007, 12:34 PM
dark chocolate and banana! they are rich in antioxidants (sp?) and magnesiums, which are believe to relieve stress..

banana split, anyone? ;)

..yuccky. :p

Freedom
01-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Walk the dogs, then come in and cuddle up with the cats for a catnap!!!!

Marigold, sure am sorry to hear about the medical news. Will keep you in prayers!